2500 rear springs on 1500.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Spoon91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey guys,
I’ve heard some talk in the past about the fact that you could “possibly” fit OEM rear 2500 RAM coil springs on a 1500 to improve towing capability and ride height.
I’m curious to see if this is true.
I have a 2016 ram 1500 that I tow small trailers and kayaks/outdoor hunting gear with. The truck squats more than I would like when doing so. So my question is, is it possible to simply replace the factory rear springs with 2500 OEM springs to improve the towing capacity and eliminate the ugly “Carolina squat” …..

Keep in mind I’m running a Zone 1.5in body left and a 4in Rough Country suspension lift. Absolutely love the way the truck rides, drives and sits on a daily basis but the factory rear springs don’t quite hold up to keeping the truck more sturdy and level when towing.

Please go easy on me. I know this may be a ridiculous question since I drive a “1500”

Thank you guys in advance for any help you can provide to me!

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
Hey guys,
I’ve heard some talk in the past about the fact that you could “possibly” fit OEM rear 2500 RAM coil springs on a 1500 to improve towing capability and ride height.
I have a 2016 ram 1500 that I tow small trailers and kayaks/outdoor hunting gear with. The truck squats more than I would like when doing so. So my question is, is it possible to simply replace the factory rear springs with 2500 OEM springs to improve the towing capacity and eliminate the ugly “Carolina squat” …..

Keep in mind I’m running a Zone 1.5in body left and a 4in Rough Country suspension lift. Absolutely love the way the truck rides, drives and sits on a daily basis but the factory rear springs don’t quite hold up to keeping the truck more sturdy and level when towing.

Please go easy on me. I know this may be a ridiculous question since I drive a “1500”

How often are you towing?

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Hey guys,

That is the only difference between a 1500 and 2500, incredible that we spend so much more for a HD truck from the factory. Don't forget to replace the 1500 badge once the spring upgrade is complete. ;)

Please don't listen to those voices. Each truck is designed for a specific purpose, so you need to buy the right one for the trailer you have. Sorry, just the way it is.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Get yourself some Timbren's. I tow lots and that solved my issues.

Attachments

• 20210417_150108.jpg
    20210417_150108.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 72

Brianmp01

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
look into the icon springs they are a big improvement over stock

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The rear coil springs on a 2500 are much larger than the 1500 units. Definitely not a simply swapout setup.

Just get replacement coils made for the 1500 that have more load capacity.

hawsk99gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Express 2016
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I too am shopping for replacement springs for my 1500. I swapped out my shocks for Rough Country Premium N3 rear shocks 2 inch lift. But noticed that if I load gravel or any kind of weight in the back it still bottoms out. Hell even my 250lb friend sits on my tailgate and it drops a good 2 inches. I don't tow at the moment but would like to future proof it. I was looking at the

TTC-1211 from TufTruck.​

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the HELPFUL info Crazy.
Actually pretty helpful info. Look at the TUFTRUCK®’s TTC-1223VT since you have a small lift.

Or just use the air bags that go inside the stock springs and air them up a bit before towing.

The 2500 coils might work, but haven't measured them for height and everything - I think the ride might be a bit harsh.
But to be totally honest, I don't know as I haven't compared them side by side or tried installing them.
If it helps, the stock coil spring on the 1500 is 18.5" tall.

tallfetcher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Like pacofortacos said aftermarket air bags are another route you can go and they wont change your ride quality like a tougher spring might.

hawsk99gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Express 2016
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok let me ask this. I have the stock rear springs and I have replaced only the shocks with a better after market, Rough Country Premium N3 rear shocks 2 inch lift. Should I replace the springs as well or put airbags? I don't really tow yet, but I do occasionally load my bed with rock or dirt. I will probably eventually tow a camper in the future. But for now what would make sense to add?

hawsk99gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Express 2016
Engine
Hemi 5.7
well no reply's back. So after plenty of YouTube and online research I thunk I've narrowed it down to either the TufTruk TTC-1211 coil springs or the 351-893HD by Dayton Parts. Both are similar in price. Here's the how to video for the Dayton Parts spring https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwVhxlXanhw&t=1s Going to to skip the whole airbag thing for now and get rid of these squishy stock springs. Both springs seem to hold their own and improve ride even with an empty bed.

star_deceiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
1211 on the left, stock on the right. 17mm coil thickness vs. 15.5mm. Stock truck sits at the same ride height. 45 min install.

A1A4EEB8-142A-496F-B7DE-15813F9B7FAE.jpeg

star_deceiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Block front wheels. Bottle jack under frame, lift several inches. Remove bottom shock bolt with impact. Jack until brake line becomes almost tight. Grab spring and pull out. New spring in. Lower bottle jack while positioning spring. Insert and tighten bottom shock bolt with impact. Lower bottle jack completely. Move to other side and repeat.

You need your bottle jack, impact, socket and wrench. That's it.IMG_20220525_161522.jpgIMG_20220525_161707.jpg

Last edited:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Block front wheels. Bottle jack under frame, lift several inches. Remove bottom shock bolt with impact. Jack until brake line becomes almost tight. Grab spring and pull out. New spring in. Lower bottle jack while positioning spring. Insert and tighten bottom shock bolt with impact. Lower bottle jack completely. Move to other side and repeat.

You need your bottle jack, impact, socket and wrench. That's it.
Swaybar also needs to be disconnected if you have the stock swaybar and end links

star_deceiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Nope, never disconnected that. Springs went right past without issue. See pics above for the large gap.

Is the swaybar on the warlock model different?

DarrenC

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Ram 1500 classic Warlock
Engine
3.6 Pentastar

You need your bottle jack, impact, socket and wrench. That's it.

Just checking, this was done on a 2021 Warlock? Thinking of the 1211's myself as Tufftruk recommended them. So its been about 6 to 8 months since you did this, are you happy with them? I have read some of the reviews on them and some people say they start to drop a bit after a while.

I was thinking of the 351-893XHD which is supposed to be 70% more capacity over stock, but to get them into Canada or order from back east is well over $500 at current prices.

Thanks for any info

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye