2nd Battery

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aussie-John

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi V8
Hey Lads,

So I have done a bit of reading and am ready to throw a 2nd battery in the truck. I could put it in the bed, but I am worried about the amount of heat it would be exposed to under the Bakflip. (it gets damn hot under there)

I had thought of mounting on top of the wheel arch in the bed, right behind my swing case - but anyways...

If I choose the under the hood location, I gather the install will be the same for me down here in Australia (Right hand Drive)

I need to yank the stock air box right? But replace with what???

And I need a 2nd battery box - Can you please advise the exact one that fits?

Mine is an 2018 Laramie 5.7H.

Cheers
Johh

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
Being curious here, but what is the need for the 2nd battery?

radkawi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Hey Lads,

So I have done a bit of reading and am ready to throw a 2nd battery in the truck. I could put it in the bed, but I am worried about the amount of heat it would be exposed to under the Bakflip. (it gets damn hot under there)

I had thought of mounting on top of the wheel arch in the bed, right behind my swing case - but anyways...

If I choose the under the hood location, I gather the install will be the same for me down here in Australia (Right hand Drive)

I need to yank the stock air box right? But replace with what???

And I need a 2nd battery box - Can you please advise the exact one that fits?

Mine is an 2018 Laramie 5.7H.

Cheers
Johh

Odyssey makes some smaller spill-proof flex mount batteries you could mount under the hood just about anywhere. Not sure about stock in your neck of the woods but worth looking into. I had a side by side a few years back that I added one of these to. Made a huge difference when running a winch and lighting.

https://www.amazon.com/ODYSSEY-PC68...ocphy=9011840&hvtargid=pla-567025626926&psc=1

OP
OP
Aussie-John

Aussie-John

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi V8
The reason for the 2nd battery is to run accessories.

It’s not uncommon for me to shooting for a couple of days that will see the truck sitting, unstarted for 2 full days and nights.

I have a fridge, lights and other bits that will most certainly drain the main battery to dangerous levels over that time. Hence the need for a second.

If I take my camper, then I’m good. That is fully kitted out. But it’s not always appropriate to drag it along.

Personally I’m looking at about 80ah to 100ah and probably AGM.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Consider going under the truck, they make battery boxes you can bolt to the frame and most AGM batteries can be mounted on there side. Makes sure to use a constant duty solenoid to isolate the second battery from the main. Use an SPDT (ON-OFF-ON) switch wired to the solenoid so you can select to turn the solenoid on when the truck starts, keep it off(isolated) or stays on constantly (in case you need to jump start yourself)

OP
OP
Aussie-John

Aussie-John

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi V8
Thanks man.

Wiring is not the issue. Location is.

I did look under the bed and there’s a fair bit of room up under their. But if there is a better way under the hood, then I’m happy to look at it.

I just don’t know if it’s all the same for my right hand drive.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Hunt up a Cummins powered 2500+ truck and look at it.They have dual batteries under the hood,and you should be able to use their extra battery box

OP
OP
Aussie-John

Aussie-John

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi V8
Hunt up a Cummins powered 2500+ truck and look at it.They have dual batteries under the hood,and you should be able to use their extra battery box

Hmm. Not likely down here. There are not that many RAMs on the road here yet.

I’ll keep looking online.

wgreggking

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4x4 offroad
Engine
pic of a 2016 Turbos though
Truck-Tech-Dodge-Dually-Engine-Bay.jpg

OP
OP
Aussie-John

Aussie-John

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi V8
Awesome thanks.

So stupid question....

Battery Tray Right.... is that right looking into the engine bay from the front, or from the drivers seat???

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Awesome thanks.

So stupid question....

Battery Tray Right.... is that right looking into the engine bay from the front, or from the drivers seat???

You always look at things as if you were sitting in the drivers seat for north american vehicles,not sure if you guys down under use that same general rule though.

radkawi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Awesome thanks.

So stupid question....

Always in the direction of forward motion.