3.6 Oil Filter cracked???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've had a random oil leak, well I didn't think I had a leak, but every now and then I'd end up with a tiny bit of oil on my garage floor. Stopped at the dealership as I had the last random leak a week or so after having them change the oil. Turns out my my oil filter housing assembly is cracked and needs to be replaced to the tune of $994.00 + tax!!!! I still should have a little of my 3/36 warranty left or else my lifetime max care warranty will cover it. Anyone else have this issue???

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
If the dealer has been changing the oil all along, they better not charge you for it.
I had a service shop over tightened the oil filter housing on a Saturn several years back. It shattered when the next time I changed the oil. So yes I use a torque wrench on the oil filter housing. The EcoDiesel uses a similar oil filter housing and filter element as the 3.6L engine

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Definitely should be covered by warranty.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
It’s a fairly common failure. Doesn’t help that it’s a plastic housing mounted in the valley of the engine with a metal cooler integrated into it. Usually just caused by heat cycles. You’d have to really go nuts at it to crack it when doing an oil change. They’ve also updated the housings a couple times.

OP
OP
stimpy433

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It’s a fairly common failure. Doesn’t help that it’s a plastic housing mounted in the valley of the engine with a metal cooler integrated into it. Usually just caused by heat cycles. You’d have to really go nuts at it to crack it when doing an oil change. They’ve also updated the housings a couple times.

Thanks @Tach_tech, I was hoping you would comment on this as I was wondering if it was common problem or a gorilla tech changing my oil.

It's going in this Wednesday to be fixed as they have all the parts in stock, and it will be covered under warranty.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There was also problems with those coolers leaking, so if it's a 1 piece deal they should get it fixed either way.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Thanks @Tach_tech, I was hoping you would comment on this as I was wondering if it was common problem or a gorilla tech changing my oil.

It's going in this Wednesday to be fixed as they have all the parts in stock, and it will be covered under warranty.

Ya it’s definitely common. Crappy thing is since it sits in the valley you don’t know it’s really leaking until it fills up the valley and leaks down the back of the engine.

El Huapo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4X4 Warlock 1500 Classic DS w/3.55 LSD
Engine
V6 flex
I was looking into this and saw that in 2014, FCA changed the filter housing from metal to plastic. Does anyone know if a replacement made for say a 2013 would fit the later model 3.6l V6's? And if so, is it really less likely to fail? Just looking ahead, mine is fine. I just did the first oil change and lubed the filter cap threads with silicon grease, it went back on smoother than it came off.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
The filter housings are still plastic, even on brand new vehicles.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joeyoliver45