3.6 Pentastar Issues Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mxer201

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar
51k miles. Runs soooo smooth BUT, the other day while doing one of my routine checks under the hood, I pulled the coolant overflow tank dip stick out and it was dry. I added a quart of 50/50 coolant that brought the level up. This really concerns me. I will be watching the level very closely and fear a dreaded head gasket leak. I removed the radiator cap and the level was fine but still concerned. I'll try to remember to post an update.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Depending on how long it's been since you checked it the coolant reservoir will experience some evaporation. Remember the reservoir is not a sealed system. Your radiator cap is the seal. The reservoir lid pops on but isn't air tight. Best rule of thumb is fill the reservoir and monitor it. Check your oil for water and pull your oil cap and look for moisture. And last bu not least watch yor exhaust for white steam after the truck is warmed up and the condensation is has burned off.. Keep an eye on it for a few weeks and see if you notice anything. You can also do a cooling system pressure test if you're really concerned. I just topped mine off the other day. It was almost empty. I've had to add coolant a once or twice since I bought it new in 2014.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

mxer201

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar
Depending on how long it's been since you checked it the coolant reservoir will experience some evaporation. Remember the reservoir is not a sealed system. Your radiator cap is the seal. The reservoir lid pops on but isn't air tight. Best rule of thumb is fill the reservoir and monitor it. Check your oil for water and pull your oil cap and look for moisture. And last bu not least watch yor exhaust for white steam after the truck is warmed up and the condensation is has burned off.. Keep an eye on it for a few weeks and see if you notice anything. You can also do a cooling system pressure test if you're really concerned. I just topped mine off the other day. It was almost empty. I've had to add coolant a once or twice since I bought it new in 2014.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

Thanks. I've experienced head gasket issues with a Mazda B2600i truck. The symptoms were what you said. Comparing it to my wife's 4Runner. At 100k miles the coolant level in the overflow tank never changed. Maybe the tank in the 4Runner is sealed. And maybe that is what happened to my Ram. Will keep an eye on it.

Quyonmob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
51k miles. Runs soooo smooth BUT, the other day while doing one of my routine checks under the hood, I pulled the coolant overflow tank dip stick out and it was dry. I added a quart of 50/50 coolant that brought the level up. This really concerns me. I will be watching the level very closely and fear a dreaded head gasket leak. I removed the radiator cap and the level was fine but still concerned. I'll try to remember to post an update.

My 2017 was delivered with the reservoir nearly dry. I topped it off (specific coolant isn’t cheap) and it hasn’t changed level at all since.

Quyonmob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I like your avatar photo. I put a set of General Grabber ATX tires on my Ram a few months ago.
Love my old grabber AT2s. Not quite enough tread left for this winter, so I grabber a winter set, grabbers go back on in spring. I’m excited to try the ATX.

Quyonmob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I just had the passenger side valve cover gasket changed, back of the engine was covered in oil. It never dripped on the ground as it all burned off on the collectors. Stank like hell at a stop light.

Was covered by my powertrain warranty.

Dr. Righteous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I think we Pentastar owners feel a little bit left out on this site because the Hemi owners are always having fun discussing Hemi tick, lifter and cam wham, how to disable MDS, and ALL kinds of funny noises that their engines make! Also all the fun methods they discuss about changing the oil filters without breaking their knuckles, or making a mess on the driveway, And even buying kits to move the oil filter somewhere else! Also the lively discussions about where you can get the best deals on 16 spark plugs to do a change out. Heck, I almost wish I bought a Hemi just so I could be in on all those fun discussions!

My dad has a 18 BigHorn with a Pentastar. I've had plenty of time to compare how it runs and drives with my 14 Ram express w/ hemi. I like power. Hands down, but I don't drive these vehicles hard. Thats because these heavy truck though nice are not exactly a 'thrilling ride'. The main reason I needed a Hemi truck was I had a lot of trailer towing I knew was in store for it. The hemi handles that admirably.
But for most every day stuff the Pentastar power would be more than enough. For the most part the heavy hauling I needed to do has been done. Best miles I've seen from my Hemi RAM is about 24 hwy. Dad can get 28 MPG hwy in his BigHorn. Looking at internet threads and youtube you would think the Hemi engines are not a bit reliable. That is not the case. But there is a certain percentage that do have problems. So far the only issue I've had is broken exhaust mainifold bolts. It has 103K miles on it now so I'm keeping my fingers crossed BUT, if I was going to buy something to replace it; I would get one with the Pentastar and the ZF 8spd.

BruceR41

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
81k on my 2014 Bighorn Ram and still running strong. First real issue is squirrels eating a few hoses.

Larry Rambo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 1500 with 3.6, 87000 miles. I'm getting a P0306 code, misfire cylinder #6. I can feel the miss at idle but seems to smooth out as the RPM goes up. I have had all the spark plugs replaced and the coil on cylinder 6 replaced. This did not help any. Is this the dreaded cylinder issue?

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I have a 1500 with 3.6, 87000 miles. I'm getting a P0306 code, misfire cylinder #6. I can feel the miss at idle but seems to smooth out as the RPM goes up. I have had all the spark plugs replaced and the coil on cylinder 6 replaced. This did not help any. Is this the dreaded cylinder issue?

If for fact the cylinder is getting spark, you'd have to look at fuel and compression for that cylinder. Any ticks, taps or odd noises?

Larry Rambo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Does anyone know the status of class action lawsuit against FCA over the "ticking" 3.6 Pentastar?
I have only 87000 miles on my 1500 and it will cost at least $2500 to repair,

Clay M

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6l
Great engine until you lose a cylinder and dodge tells you to go f yourself with only a 110,000 on the odometer. This will continue to develop into an issue Chrysler can’t ignore. I’m looking at $2800 to replace mine

Clay M

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6l
Just called the law firm that represented the “ticking 3.6” that case has settled and a new one is being prepared for later this year. Call this #(406)721-1435
Tim Bechtold @ Bechtoldlaw

MoparFin

U. S. Navy Vet - AS1
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2012 Charger with 167k on it and a 18 Ram with 67k on it, both have a 3.6. No issues out of either one. All I have done is change the oil in both.

ts27330

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 3.6
2014 1500 3.6 Laramie 41,000 miles. Dreaded P0520 oil pressure sensor sender code. Hard to reach sensor. Repaired at a local garage, too much to handle for me at home.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juanita Kelley