3.92 Gears vs 3.21 Gears

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Buddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had the same thing happen, "you won't see any difference except better gas with 3:21, it's the better gear with this 8 speed". Well he was cool to also let me take both a 21 and 92 out both 8 speeds. Unreal difference. The 21 ran very strong, took it out first. I was thinking 'wow, maybe he is right, it pulls hard'. Then took out the 92... Wow!! it was just a beast compared to the 21.

jthesby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I didn't mean my comment in a negative way to anyone. I get people have different needs, etc. A good majority of people really don't realize or understand how gearing can have an effect on vehicle performance and towing, and consequently never know what to ask.

Obviously every buyer needs to do their homework before they plunk down their hard earned money. But dealers have no problems "advising" buyers to get the Hemi or Eco Diesel. It seems they would want to educate their consumers with gearing as well.

Of course, IMO, dealers should be shot for ordering trucks with tow packages, etc and then not upgrading the gearing. But dealers do dumb things like that for whatever reason. Prime example. I bought a Sport 1500 4x4. It has the built-in trailer braking package, the 3.92 gears, etc. Yet, it didn't come w/ a hitch. Really, how much f*cking sense does that make? I realized this and after I got all the money I could from the dealer I said, oh yeah, I need tinted windows and a factory class IV tow hitch before I sign. :flipthebird: It worked -- even got the 5% limo tint I wanted.

Not takin negatively at all. Yeah, that was the thing, it came with the full on tow package(hitch, brake controller, tow mirrors)and anti spin diff, would have assumed it would of had a good gear to actually tow with.

South Jersey Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 annd 2006
Engine
5.7 Hemi
believe the 3.92 only available with the six speed. 3.92 no brainer if you are going to lift it. Dealers around here put lifts on any truck they think looks cool. One had a 6' lift on a 3.55 with no limited slip. ********. I ordered mine with the 3.92/limited slip after 300 miles Im getting almost 17 mpg combined. Of course that will drop once the 6" BDS and 35's go on lol. Also one shop told me they don't make replacement gears for the new Ram 1500s but the 3.92 is fine I have them on my '06 with 33's and it pulls like a beast.

South Jersey Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 annd 2006
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Most Chevys that dealers lift are running 3.42s. I guess a lot of people don't know about gearing. Not only lack of power but excessive Tranny wear.

South Jersey Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 annd 2006
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Dealers will tell you anything to sell whats on the lot. Many sales people are ignorant about gearing as well. Plus the 3.92 is hard to find unless you order one like I did.

Z77Z77Z

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don't think the 8spd is available with 3.92 after looking can someone confirm this, plus it shifts into 2nd gear so ridiculously early I don't know what you'd gain unless you had huge tires.

jbr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't think the 8spd is available with 3.92 after looking can someone confirm this, plus it shifts into 2nd gear so ridiculously early I don't know what you'd gain unless you had huge tires.
You can get 8 speed with 3.92 gears (2014). My coworker got one off the local dealers lot.

OP
OP
xrsman

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
Read the beginning of the thread. It was a comparison between the 8 speed with both rear ends. I noticed a huge difference between the two! Night and day! The 2014 that I ordered and just got in has 3.92's

Z77Z77Z

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I was playing around on the build a ram site, on sports/ Laramie etc it allowed me to select the 8spd and 3.92, but not on the express... confusing

MiRamDriver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Wrong. I have an 8 Speed / 3.92.

MiRamDriver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Have you noticed a significant drop in the power and Mpg now that you've had the lift and 35's for a while?

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

About 2 MPG Loss. Some loss in power but not much, I think mostly due to the weight of the new wheels and tires.

OP
OP
xrsman

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
About 2 MPG Loss. Some loss in power but not much, I think mostly due to the weight of the new wheels and tires.
Wow that's not bad at all eh! I was expecting more along the lines of 5 +! Haha