3 bad remanned alternators!?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NorinRadd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
2011 1500 5.7

Alt was whining when spinning for a few weeks. Battery light went on. Alt wasnt charging battery while running.

Got new alt. Broken plastic female plug. Returned

2nd alt. Good plug. Started truck. Battery light came on. Put on load tester. Wasn't charging battery.

3rd alt. Started. Went for drive. Battery light came on along with airbag, trac control, abs lights. Turned around went home. Not charging battery. Battery at or under 12volts while trucks running. Turned off. Truck wouldnt start.

Put in brand new charged battery. Truck started. Battery still at 12. Alt not charging while running.

Checked wires for splits / frays. All looks well.

Talked to local mechanic. Says he ggets 3 bad alts or starters often. Not uncommon.

Lordco thinks im a smooth brained mouth breather who cant install an alternator.

Any ideas? Opinions. Thanks.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
You could have a short somewhere, it would fry it in a hurry like soon as it kicked on. What year ram, does it have a tipm? I had a short fry a brand new oem transfer case the second I turned it on, it was a shorted wire the cause.

OP
OP
N

NorinRadd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
You could have a short somewhere, it would fry it in a hurry like soon as it kicked on. What year ram, does it have a tipm? I had a short fry a brand new oem transfer case the second I turned it on, it was a shorted wire the cause.
2011! I have ran down the the two wires. They look good. None of the casing or tape is chewed or frayed. Connections look good. I thought it was that too. Only way to tell would be borrow someones 100% functioning alternator

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Take the last replacement alternator somewhere to get it tested to be sure it actually is bad

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I believe it I just went threw 4 starters parts are being made/rebuilt cheaper and cheaper what brands are you using? Avoid carquest ect

Red-R/T

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Have the replacement alternator checked before you install in your truck. Then you know for sure it is something in your vehicle rather than bad rebuild.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
2011! I have ran down the the two wires. They look good. None of the casing or tape is chewed or frayed. Connections look good. I thought it was that too. Only way to tell would be borrow someones 100% functioning alternator
could be at tipm junction bad solder joint. How many apms does that draw? Not sure if you can bypass that, I have not seen that done, ignition bypass I have seen.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Miss the old days when you could rap on the regulator with a screwdriver handle, then "full-field" the alternator. Can't find my growler...
Miss the old GM days: Alt bad? Get started, pull battery cable: Still run alt good, stop, either alternator or something in charging system. Not sure I would do that on a rolling 50/60K computer, LOL. On my 67 Chevy, all day long. Chevy not eat so many alternators as eat VR's (the ole black box on the rear of the firewall) back in the day, as they say. Even though our RAMS are Light Years ahead of them old rides, sometimes I miss the KISS principle, lol. Used to use this handy tool to check things back in the day also.

IMG_0889.JPG

chopperman1

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Rebel
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Just went thru this on my daughters Hyundai, 4 different "reman'd" alternators, same issue, no charge. Turns out that the alternator is CPU controlled and wasn't putting out the correct reading "to turn on the charge", bone-yard 50$ OEM alternator fixed it. Rebuilts aren't worth a damn these days.

OP
OP
N

NorinRadd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Just went thru this on my daughters Hyundai, 4 different "reman'd" alternators, same issue, no charge. Turns out that the alternator is CPU controlled and wasn't putting out the correct reading "to turn on the charge", bone-yard 50$ OEM alternator fixed it. Rebuilts aren't worth a damn these days.
Yeah funny mechanic said the same thing. Lordco wont warranty me another one. Said I clearly dont know how to install an alternator .

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I got the opposite issue. My Battery is going bad, just showing like a cold voltage of like 12.02 - 12.07 Volts, instead of 12.4- 12.7. TIPM pushing 14.7-9 volts when running, so I know battery going bad. That be next weeks purchase, have to find a decent AGM in lil town. I just put out for a new Washer/Dryer, bank account looks depressing, roflmao.