30k Mile Transmission Flush

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I drove a family members 18 F150 with the 10spd last year in texas. Trans ran 215 at night and I was just cruising the highway.

People that think the zf8 is a pain in the ass should look into the Ford 10 speed, lol. However, they do have a dip stick right on the transmision, which is good.

caulk04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Right? I watched a video changing the fluid in an F150 5.0/10spd...nope.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Hey, maybe we'll get a CVT?! (ha ha) Or a hydrostat?

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
I drove a family members 18 F150 with the 10spd last year in texas. Trans ran 215 at night and I was just cruising the highway.

My Mustang with the 6R80 stays around 200 in the summer.
I don't like it but I don't think there's anything else to do besides a $800 bigger tranny cooler. uggh

gixxer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
Wanted to post this just for info for anyone who is on the fence of changing their transmission fluid. I am just over 30k miles and decided to do my first transmission fluid change. For reference I did the transfer case and diffs at 10k so this is just standard practice for me. I also installed the Revmax bypass kit at the same time and it made a dramatic difference in transmission temps. I am a bit thrifty, so I bought a $35 ebay pan and a couple gallons of Redline D6. I also used one of the $10 home depot sprayer pumps to pump fluid. I would 1000% recommend this and not the crappy transfer pumps we have all used. A couple pics attached. The pan was almost identical down to the magnets. It came with all new bolts but one of the torx heads wasnt cut well so I reused an old bolt and trashed it. You can also see the fluid had already gotten fairly grey for only 30k miles on a lifetime fluid. The transmission shifts much smoother with the new fluid and the 2-1 shift coming to a stop is a lot smoother as well. I need to order some more fluid but plan do drain the pan again and refill in the next month or so.

Edit: Forgot to mention I took 5 quarts out of the transmission. Im guessing close to a quart was for the lines to the Revmax kit. It took right at 5 quarts to fill also.

View attachment 240371 View attachment 240372

Do you have a link or pic of the spray pump you recommend?

I was going to use an enema bottle to drop the fluid into the district tube.

Won't be fast but will be clean.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Last edited:

18GSMRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Anyone know what is the total capacity of transmission fluid for a full change? not just the pan and filter.

Last edited:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Anyone know what is the total capacity of transmission fluid for a full change? not just the pan and filter.

I can't say as i've ever seen the capacity of the tranny /with convertor and cooler plus lines ever listed,if you find out what the complete system holds make sure you post it

OP
OP
joesstripclub

joesstripclub

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500 PW
Engine
Hemi 6.4

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
https://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-1-G...ERCH=REC-_-searchViewed-_-NA-_-307766754-_-N&

I just took off the plastic wand at the end and attached some vinyl tubing. The wand has a nut and washer that make a compression fit on the tubing.

Linky no worky Joe. But i'm guessing it's a link to the same sprayer in the video.I just cut the wand basically in half and added vinyl tubing to the center of it,the hard piece i left on the end works out good to reach in past my long tube headers and stay in the hole with out having to be held in place.The hard piece kind of latches itself into the fill hole,lol

OP
OP
joesstripclub

joesstripclub

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500 PW
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Linky no worky Joe. But i'm guessing it's a link to the same sprayer in the video.I just cut the wand basically in half and added vinyl tubing to the center of it,the hard piece i left on the end works out good to reach in past my long tube headers and stay in the hole with out having to be held in place.The hard piece kind of latches itself into the fill hole,lol

Hmm link seems to work for me but that doesn't mean anything. Yeah its just the 1 gallon Home Depot pump sprayer that's in the video. I added about a foot of tubing to mine so that I could hold the handle far enough away but nothing wrong with cutting the wand, just have to find the right size tubing to go over it. No burns from my fluid change and I didnt even need the wet towel on the exhaust.

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I just worked a 6 to 8 inch long piece of 3/8 or 1/2 inch od tubing over the cut off wand end, and stuck that right in the fill hole.

Clear to see the fluid flowing into the trans. Flexible and long enough to keep away from the exhaust. Just squeese the trigger and go.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
That seems a little light on fluid to include the convertor / cooler and lines ,but it might be all that the complete system would hold , just seems a bit light to me though. If a pan drop will take almost 6 quarts ,i'd of thought there'd be more then another 3 quarts in the convertor / cooler and lines then that

18GSMRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Dealer told me 8.7 qts. Have heard that it can be 9+ though.

Seems like 10/11 is a safe bet if doing complete flush, I'll do 12, it's not like I won't use the extra at some point.

That seems a little light on fluid to include the convertor / cooler and lines ,but it might be all that the complete system would hold , just seems a bit light to me though. If a pan drop will take almost 6 quarts ,i'd of thought there'd be more then another 3 quarts in the convertor / cooler and lines then that

I'll find out for sure in about a week

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L

Mine took 5-1/4 with just a pan drop.

Seems like I read somewhere where it said if the trans was removed, to turn trans on side and fill with 9 qts. fluid. Maybe somewhere on here.

Would be so much easier if you could pump the fluid through using the transmission itself until the fluid runs clean, then do the level check.

Not that cheap if using the OE fluid, though.

If I had any kind of warranty, I wouldn't use anything other than OE either, just in case. That said, I really wouldn't trust that the dealer would do the service properly either, but at least they might be on the hook if something went awry.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ftank