318 magnum engine into 1986 Ram

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

robreynolds

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
slant 6
I have a 1997 318 engine with a 5 speed manual transmission which I'm putting into a 1986 Ram. The guy I bought the engine from had paid a couple of young guys to take it out of the donor truck, and due to their youth and lack of interest in the project they simply cut the wires instead of taking the wiring harness and computer out of the truck. The truck has since been hauled off. So I need to get a computer from a parts truck at a junk yard or from a private seller.

A friend told me that there are different computers depending on whether the truck has a manual or automatic transmission. Is this true?

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
you can use a auto computer with a manual but the computer will complain. you however can not use a manual trans computer with auto

OP
OP
R

robreynolds

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
slant 6
What kind of complaining will it do?

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
i would assume most of the code would be from the transmission not being there since the computer would be trying to control it. all the 97 and newer trucks are electronically controlled

OP
OP
R

robreynolds

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
slant 6
New question: I found a junkyard truck with a 5.2 V8 and 4wd manual transmission. Will this computer work with my 2wd manual?

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
i think the computer is usually the same between the 4x4 and 2wd trucks. it should probably work.

OP
OP
R

robreynolds

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
slant 6
Thanks for all the info. I really appreciate it.

I'm going to call the junkyard guy tomorrow and see if he will sell me the whole carcass, rather than just the computer, wiring harness and fuel tank.