Looking Around Last Night

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
RAM2022Bighorn.png

Was looking around last night while I was working. Saw this dually sitting on the lot of one of the local Ram dealer lots.

No window sticker showing options or anything. It did have a sticker with the VIN on the windshield. Snapped a picture with my phone just to do an equipment look up. I did walk around it just to what options it had....no 5th wheel prep. The passenger side, in front of the rear wheel, looked like someone drove it through the lot and took a turn to sharp and caught the concrete base of a light pole, because it was caved in and scratched to hell. Brand new truck and already damaged.....wow. It is a Bighorn Sport, so it does have the LED reflector headlight/tail lights with body color bumpers in the crystal granite metallic. It is sharp looking, aside from the damage.

The HO Cummins is nice....but who is ordering these trucks without 5th wheel/gooseneck prep in them? Doesn't make sense. That and it has the 32 gallon tank? If this had the bigger tank and 5th wheel prep I doubt this would have been sitting as long as it has, and would be gone by now...Wish this was at another dealers lot....this dealer is kind of a known $#!t merchant, at least that was my experience.

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
View attachment 501667

Was looking around last night while I was working. Saw this dually sitting on the lot of one of the local Ram dealer lots.

No window sticker showing options or anything. It did have a sticker with the VIN on the windshield. Snapped a picture with my phone just to do an equipment look up. I did walk around it just to what options it had....no 5th wheel prep. The passenger side, in front of the rear wheel, looked like someone drove it through the lot and took a turn to sharp and caught the concrete base of a light pole, because it was caved in and scratched to hell. Brand new truck and already damaged.....wow. It is a Bighorn Sport, so it does have the LED reflector headlight/tail lights with body color bumpers in the crystal granite metallic. It is sharp looking, aside from the damage.

The HO Cummins is nice....but who is ordering these trucks without 5th wheel/gooseneck prep in them? Doesn't make sense. That and it has the 32 gallon tank? If this had the bigger tank and 5th wheel prep I doubt this would have been sitting as long as it has, and would be gone by now...Wish this was at another dealers lot....this dealer is kind of a known $#!t merchant, at least that was my experience.

Some dealers have no idea what their market is. the way trucks have gone most people want a short bed SRW 3500 lol. If you are going to offer a 3500 DRW Long box you need to offer everything Ram has to offer from factory for towing, it has 3.73 gears dually needs 4.10 min. my big horn SRW non HO has 5th wheel prep and i wish i got a bigger tank. looking at upgrading to 52gal eventually.

OP
OP
OC455

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
I think with the 3.73 gear ratio and the HO Cummins it won't be an issue....but yeah, the 4.10 gears would be ridiculous.

I just wonder who the heck is placing their orders?! Long bed dually with no 5th wheel prep or larger tank...

I'm a little more shocked they're letting it sit on the lot with the damage....shoulda snapped a pic of it.

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think with the 3.73 gear ratio and the HO Cummins it won't be an issue....but yeah, the 4.10 gears would be ridiculous.

I just wonder who the heck is placing their orders?! Long bed dually with no 5th wheel prep or larger tank...

I'm a little more shocked they're letting it sit on the lot with the damage....shoulda snapped a pic of it.

i know its a HO but your going to do some serious pulling going this set up, i would want 4.10 gears myself. i do agree Not having a 5th wheel prep is not good for that truck. my had damage from shipping on the bumpers. i bought my truck 30mins after they unloaded it lol dealer fixed of course.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
A high volume Ram dealer here in NC does the same crap. They'll not get the 5th wheel prep, but the trucks will have snow prep....in NC.....why?!?! We don't run block heaters and plows in most of NC.

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
Some dealers have no idea what their market is. the way trucks have gone most people want a short bed SRW 3500 lol. If you are going to offer a 3500 DRW Long box you need to offer everything Ram has to offer from factory for towing, it has 3.73 gears dually needs 4.10 min. my big horn SRW non HO has 5th wheel prep and i wish i got a bigger tank. looking at upgrading to 52gal eventually.
The max towing on this unit is nearly 33,000lbs. Most people won't get anywhere near that so adding the 4.10's to get a few more tons is not really necessary. For no more than it costs yeah I think it would have been nice if they would have added the tow prep. But then again I see guys all of the time just pulling bumper pull trailers with them so that is something else that might not be necessary. Now the tank... whether you bought gas or diesel, this thing is going to burn through the fuel, so if it's a long bed that should be standard. I agree, many dealers just don't understand what most people use these types of trucks for. I see so many are ordered with the Level B equipment group, chrome package, & sun roof. But nothing selected for hauling or towing. They must think people who drive these just cruise around & show it off to their friends. :shakehead:

OP
OP
OC455

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
Honestly, if the dealer was going to order the HO Cummins, why would a dealer not order it with the 5th wheel prep....or the larger tank. The truck was designed to haul/tow.

@68PowerWagon & @Riccochet you guys are spot on...

Irishthreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Agree it makes no sense not to have the prep group. My 2500 came with it and was only a $530 option. The dealership’s leverage with having it would likely be more than $530.

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The max towing on this unit is nearly 33,000lbs. Most people won't get anywhere near that so adding the 4.10's to get a few more tons is not really necessary. For no more than it costs yeah I think it would have been nice if they would have added the tow prep. But then again I see guys all of the time just pulling bumper pull trailers with them so that is something else that might not be necessary. Now the tank... whether you bought gas or diesel, this thing is going to burn through the fuel, so if it's a long bed that should be standard. I agree, many dealers just don't understand what most people use these types of trucks for. I see so many are ordered with the Level B equipment group, chrome package, & sun roof. But nothing selected for hauling or towing. They must think people who drive these just cruise around & show it off to their friends. :shakehead:

Yeah its kinda funny 2500 people try to pull everything and anything. 3500 long bed dually people just lift and drive around malls lol. I was saying if I were to get a dually at that point I would want all the best towing capabilities. Getting 4.10s not for the extra weight but the ability to pull with ease even more.

Beltsand

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A (prior 2010,2019,2022)
Engine
Cummins
The 50 gallon tank is great, right up until you are sitting at the pump and swiping the card for a third time because the transaction dollar limit keeps cutting it out before it is full...

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah its kinda funny 2500 people try to pull everything and anything. 3500 long bed dually people just lift and drive around malls lol. I was saying if I were to get a dually at that point I would want all the best towing capabilities. Getting 4.10s not for the extra weight but the ability to pull with ease even more.
Hey, I just got a lil ole 1500. Pulls my loaded 14' 2150 lb stock trailer loaded with hay 6,000-7,000 lbs total no issues. But at that weight, I get an Amazing 12 mpg, roflmao, good thing only a local run to get hay fer Hossie. BTW, I get the same mileage on empty trailer also. I also DO NOT use a WDH, as this is a local haul, but if was going a lot of miles, would. I also pulled that trailer to VA and back from TX to get kids stuff with wife's 2010 F 150 4 X 4. In Louisiana, I had to swipe card twice
to fill up tank, and even then, it was painful, lmao. The F 150 got a solid 12 mpg also, with the vaunted 5.4 Triton Motor, a beast and gas guzzler also.

WISH the RAM had a 33 gallon tank, instead of 26 gallon tank. I took a trip from TX to NJ to TX with stops in between and had almost 22 mpg average, which was amazing to me for a Hemi Truck. Straight hwy 70-80 mph.

IMG_0418.jpg

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
5th wheel prep was one of those items the factory was having a hard time supplying so it was cut from many orders, especially the lower trims. Easy enough to add after the fact and you can get exactly what you want.

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The 50 gallon tank is great, right up until you are sitting at the pump and swiping the card for a third time because the transaction dollar limit keeps cutting it out before it is full...

I uses a shell gas card. I set my own limits so no running the card 3 time.

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey, I just got a lil ole 1500. Pulls my loaded 14' 2150 lb stock trailer loaded with hay 6,000-7,000 lbs total no issues. But at that weight, I get an Amazing 12 mpg, roflmao, good thing only a local run to get hay fer Hossie. BTW, I get the same mileage on empty trailer also. I also DO NOT use a WDH, as this is a local haul, but if was going a lot of miles, would. I also pulled that trailer to VA and back from TX to get kids stuff with wife's 2010 F 150 4 X 4. In Louisiana, I had to swipe card twice
to fill up tank, and even then, it was painful, lmao. The F 150 got a solid 12 mpg also, with the vaunted 5.4 Triton Motor, a beast and gas guzzler also.

WISH the RAM had a 33 gallon tank, instead of 26 gallon tank. I took a trip from TX to NJ to TX with stops in between and had almost 22 mpg average, which was amazing to me for a Hemi Truck. Straight hwy 70-80 mph.

View attachment 501734

I owned a 4th gen 1500. I loved the truck would own another in a heart beat.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I uses a shell gas card. I set my own limits so no running the card 3 time.
Hmmmm, I got a Shell Card too, never thought about limits as far as purchase. Just got a average limit as far as card purchasing, but since the driveway princess sits in front of house mostly, all well and good.

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Just before I bought my current 2500, we ere looking around too. Found a limited 2500 with a sticker price of over $90K that was just landing on a local dealers lot. No way was I interested in that one, due to the price... but okay lets go look at it. It was a longhorn, with no anti spin diff, and no fifth wheel prep? When I was talking with the sales manager, and I pointed out why I wasnt interested in their truck, due to the fact that some options I thought were necessary werent on that unit. He says that they would have their service department tear that brand new truck apart and install the anti spin diff and fifth wheel prep there on site.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
Just before I bought my current 2500, we ere looking around too. Found a limited 2500 with a sticker price of over $90K that was just landing on a local dealers lot. No way was I interested in that one, due to the price... but okay lets go look at it. It was a longhorn, with no anti spin diff, and no fifth wheel prep? When I was talking with the sales manager, and I pointed out why I wasnt interested in their truck, due to the fact that some options I thought were necessary werent on that unit. He says that they would have their service department tear that brand new truck apart and install the anti spin diff and fifth wheel prep there on site.
I barely trust dealers to change oil correctly, let alone tear in to a brand new truck, cut holes, run new harnesses AND replace the rear diff. No way that's getting done without there being a mountain of issues. They better include a 100k mile warranty on that rear diff.