37's...It's been awhile

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rgrbobbyedwards

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Power Wagon
Engine
Alright my power wagon, steak munchin', rip lippin', deer schwacking brothers...it's that time again! Don't hassle me too hard about this has been gone over before! I just went through 13 pages of Rueben's post about his 37 KO2's in the snow and over this pass and how great of a winter tire they are for where he's located! Really knowledgeable post. But now I'm left wondering D range or E range, 35 or 37, mud or all terrain, 60 PSI or 50 PSI etc etc etc!!! Bottomline, my stock duratracs are on 50,*** miles and I'm ready to pull the trigger.

Guys, I'm a big time hunter which means SEP-JAN I'm off road on dirt roads and in the mud trying to go where no-one else will go. Other than that, I'm on the highway either to and from work, towing the bass boat to the lake, random road trips or towing a camper in the near future to the mountains. I'd love to just throw on 37 falken M/T's, or KO3 M/T's, or Toyo M/T's but where does that leave me with how many miles I'm going to get out of them since I'm mostly on the highway or where the heck am I going to put the spare or how much stress/the disadvantage of the heavier tire is it really?

My options are endless but I just need some help making the right decision. The suspension is staying stock for now anyway. I know there will be minimal rubbing at full lock. I know I will need to fix the speedometer if I want true readings and I know there are bed mount spare tire options or tailgate swing options.

IF you were going to do it all over again, knowing what you know now and having the experience between them all. How would you "build" or do your tire and/or rim makeover? I appreciate the helps guys. Lets get this thing looking good...

PatinAZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Nothing really to add, but holy ****, you got 50k miles out of stock duracraps? Twice, mine were punctured between the lugs be stinking pebbles. They got tossed before 30k.

OP
OP
rgrbobbyedwards

rgrbobbyedwards

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Power Wagon
Engine
Nothing really to add, but holy ****, you got 50k miles out of stock duracraps? Twice, mine were punctured between the lugs be stinking pebbles. They got tossed before 30k.

Right! Thats why I don't understand what everyone was talking about. Hated the KO2's in Alaska on my Tacoma TRD PRO. Wore so fast.

Low_Sky

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
If you made it 50k on the OEM Duratracs, any tire will do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3TV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
SEP-JAN I'm off road on dirt roads and in the mud trying to go where no-one else will go.

It sounds like you would be better off with an MT tire.

I'm kind of in the same situation. I have a few other off road vehicles (UTVs and an ATV) that I use if the weather is good, so I only use my Power Wagon for off road use if the weather is bad, or if it is just too cold to use an open air vehicle. That means most of the time that I am using my Power Wagon, it is in the mud or deep snow. After doing this for 40+ years I have yet to find an AT tire that works adequately in mud. They are a little nicer on road, but when it gets tough going they leave you wanting more traction. So I always get an MT tire for my vehicles. The Toyo MT has always been the gold standard. Every time I try a new MT tire I end up going back to the Toyo MT for the next set of tires. Their traction is the best I have found in muddy mountainous terrain, and they are bullet proof, and I've never had a flat from one of them. But I keep telling myself that if I don't try something new I won't find something better. This time around I wanted to try KM3's, but when I was buying tires they weren't available in a 37" size, and their projected price was over $100 a tire more than several other choices. I ended up getting Falken Wildpeak MTs, and so far I like them. They drive good on road, and work a lot better than the stock Duratracs do in the mud. It is too soon to say if I'll buy another set, or go back to Toyo MTs again, but so far so good.

Odin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 2500
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Kinda sounds like you've already selected a style of tire. Now it's just narrowing down which brand.

I'll be due for new tires here in probably another 5k miles. Currently have Toyo MTs and have really been looking at the KM3. They are cheaper than the Toyo at my tire shop and also weigh less. Both are bonuses to me, so that's where I'm leaning. They are rated to be a better tire and the few reviews I've seen so far are promising, but I haven't heard from someone driving a heavy truck like ours. Only Taco and Jeep people.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
rgrbobbyedwards

rgrbobbyedwards

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Power Wagon
Engine

I'm kind of in the same situation. I have a few other off road vehicles (UTVs and an ATV) that I use if the weather is good, so I only use my Power Wagon for off road use if the weather is bad, or if it is just too cold to use an open air vehicle. That means most of the time that I am using my Power Wagon, it is in the mud or deep snow. After doing this for 40+ years I have yet to find an AT tire that works adequately in mud. They are a little nicer on road, but when it gets tough going they leave you wanting more traction. So I always get an MT tire for my vehicles. The Toyo MT has always been the gold standard. Every time I try a new MT tire I end up going back to the Toyo MT for the next set of tires. Their traction is the best I have found in muddy mountainous terrain, and they are bullet proof, and I've never had a flat from one of them. But I keep telling myself that if I don't try something new I won't find something better. This time around I wanted to try KM3's, but when I was buying tires they weren't available in a 37" size, and their projected price was over $100 a tire more than several other choices. I ended up getting Falken Wildpeak MTs, and so far I like them. They drive good on road, and work a lot better than the stock Duratracs do in the mud. It is too soon to say if I'll buy another set, or go back to Toyo MTs again, but so far so good.

Exactly what I needed to read this morning. Now, did you have any issues with the sensors (max 50 PSI)? Are you going to stick with 37's now that you have gone this route or thinking about going down to 35's?

Also, what are the options for mounting the spare tire? I'd rather not just throw it in the bed (with or without a mount) because I use the bed a lot and don't want to take up the whole thing. I have seen tailgate mounting applications on other vehicles in the past. Just don't know what's out there for our PW's...

3TV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I moved the sensors over to the new tires, and have the tires set at 44 psi cold, which puts them up to 50 psi warm. Based on ride characteristics and lack of wear of the nubbies on the edges of the tires I could go down to 38 to 40 psi cold, and would still have plenty of air in the tires. I will try that this weekend when I air back up from the weekend trail ride. The "low air" light on the dash is always on at this air pressure, because it is programmed to turn off at 65 psi. Eventually I'll get an AEV Procal, which will let me set the minimum air pressure to 0 psi if I want to, which will turn off the TPMS warning light. No plans for a 37" spare tire.

Punishher7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
1. You can fit a 35 inch tire under the bed.

2. I do NOT recommend the Toyo MT for winter driving. Mine were terrible last winter with even a hint of ice on the ground.

BEERMAN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just threw some 37 K02's on. Still need to get the AEV procal or Tazer. Unfortunately its not quite plug & play for 2018's, but does not seem too bad to install either. I have been using waze to track spped on highway because that is pretty off now too. I am rolling about 45 PSI right now. Load range D. I am regretting load range D a little, because I tow a fairly heavy toyhauler. with the +18 backspacing had to trim just slightly.

OP
OP
rgrbobbyedwards

rgrbobbyedwards

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Power Wagon
Engine
I just threw some 37 K02's on. Still need to get the AEV procal or Tazer. Unfortunately its not quite plug & play for 2018's, but does not seem too bad to install either. I have been using waze to track spped on highway because that is pretty off now too. I am rolling about 45 PSI right now. Load range D. I am regretting load range D a little, because I tow a fairly heavy toyhauler. with the +18 backspacing had to trim just slightly.

Is the Procal plug n play for 2017?

56PW17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

How do the M/Ts handle the cold weather and snow? I think im going to switch from AT to MT but i still want the benefits of the AT in the snow. I cant decide what to go with

3TV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
How do the M/Ts handle the cold weather and snow? I think im going to switch from AT to MT but i still want the benefits of the AT in the snow. I cant decide what to go with
I've never had any problems with Toyo MT's in snow. I think they actually work better in deep snow, offroad, than an AT tire. BFG KM2s don't work as well in deep snow. Most AT's are a little better on a snow packed or icy highway, but the MT's work fine there as well, in my opinion.

bigred74

Reaction score
Ram Year
1999 and 2017
Engine
5.9L Magnum and 5.7L hemi
I'd get toyo rt's, great traction, aggressive, and tread warranty so cant go wrong

20190206_065929.jpg

Punishher7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I've never had any problems with Toyo MT's in snow. I think they actually work better in deep snow, offroad, than an AT tire. BFG KM2s don't work as well in deep snow. Most AT's are a little better on a snow packed or icy highway, but the MT's work fine there as well, in my opinion.

Snow is one thing with the MT, ice is another. My Toyo MTs are pitiful on ice. I’ve heard the KM3s are better in ice and may give them a shot next.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I just threw 35x12.50 kenda mud tires on my 2018 and it has been literally unstoppable in the mud, so long as there's clearance to keep going. Also did great in winter conditions. My only complaint has been a vibration around 60-70 mph, but supposedly that's due to a bent OEM wheel. We'll see once I replace it. I do a lot of road driving as well and don't mind the noise.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
61247408_1227478924120634_5792259536098164736_o.jpg

Reactions: 3TV