3rd gen torque converters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Farmer888

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Heard that the stock torque converters suck a lot of power, and just the trans in general sucks a lot of power in these trucks.
How much gain would a aftermarket converter give a 03 hemi?
I'm not really planning on changing my converter unless it goes out but just curious.

I've read stock the trucks dyno 260-275 rwhp.
Has anyone dynoed with full bolt ons, Intake/ better exhaust/ headers/ 91 tune/ and aftermarket converter?
I know the 03s and 04s are limited with tuning without doing the 05 pcm swap.. was just wondering the most hp they could make with bolt ons etc.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Other than better launch capability (I was using a 2800), nothing. It won't change how much power the trans itself sucks up.

OP
OP
F

Farmer888

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
OK, thought the aftermarket ones were supposed to be more efficient ( like the converter itself has less drag ). Thanks for the reply!

Btw love the SRT charger !

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Thanks, so do I lol. The 2800 with 4.56's made me quad cab launch like beast. For the most part it drove like I had a stock one til I put my foot in it. It was apparently not a fan of towing or hilly driving with the cruise control on (without towing) over time. Lockup clutches went. Had to put the stock one back in. The amount of slippage and heat generated at higher speeds was too much. You don't realize how much of a difference the lockup makes til your fuel economy goes back up and for the same rpm you are going 10mph faster.

ST-8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Gained a lot of smiles with a after market torque converter in my truck but just seemed like trans problems always loomed.

Truck was a complete different animal with a 2600, n 3200 converter in it. But going thru 2 transmission in a matter of 9k miles then putting a junkyard trans an converter in which is still running today 4+yrs an 30k miles(have only put about 7k miles in the last 2yrs) has me convinced the stock 545 doesn’t like an after market converter when spirited driving.

TIMEBOMB

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 Dodge Ram Laramie 1500
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Heard that the stock torque converters suck a lot of power, and just the trans in general sucks a lot of power in these trucks.
How much gain would a aftermarket converter give a 03 hemi?
I'm not really planning on changing my converter unless it goes out but just curious.

I've read stock the trucks dyno 260-275 rwhp.
Has anyone dynoed with full bolt ons, Intake/ better exhaust/ headers/ 91 tune/ and aftermarket converter?
I know the 03s and 04s are limited with tuning without doing the 05 pcm swap.. was just wondering the most hp they could make with bolt ons etc.

TIMEBOMB

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 Dodge Ram Laramie 1500
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I have 08 and with just bolt ons. i Dyno/tuned 302 rwhp.