4.7 problems?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

watajob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm looking at a '12 Q/C. Low miles and good price. However, there seems to be a number of horror stories online about the 4.7. I figured I'd check in with you folks who have actual experience with these engines to validate the situation or if it is just interweb hooey. Thanks!

Selcher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
I have the 4.7 in my '02 Dakota... loved that motor... I put High Output cams and intake manifold on it, full exhaust, tuner, intake, all the goodies... great motor...

My personal opinion however is that it's a little underwhelming for a full size Ram... I'd keep looking until I found one with the Hemi... it makes quite a difference... and the 4.7 doesn't seem to get better mileage in the Ram...

emjohn4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the 4.7 in my '02 Dakota... loved that motor... I put High Output cams and intake manifold on it, full exhaust, tuner, intake, all the goodies... great motor...

My personal opinion however is that it's a little underwhelming for a full size Ram... I'd keep looking until I found one with the Hemi... it makes quite a difference... and the 4.7 doesn't seem to get better mileage in the Ram...

This, nearly word for word.

Except, I still have the 4.7 in my (wifes) 2002 Durango. Has the HO cams, intake manifold, muffler.

It's an awesome engine, very smooth and has an awesome exhaust note. I think it runs smoother than my '12 Hemi.

But, in terms of raw power, the 4.7 is somewhat weak in her Durango. Adequate, yes, but not a powerhouse. I've hit ~100mph quite often when passing on the highway. While the 'new' 4.7 is a lot more powerful than the 'old' one, it's still going to be somewhat underwhelming in a heavy Ram.

There is a reason that the 4.7 rams have such lower resale than the 5.7's. Its not that they aren't a bad engine, but it's less power and identical MPG as the big Hemi.

jsburton84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
I have a 2010 4.7 quad cab 4x4 I bought with 73k on the clock just shy of 4 months ago, the only thing I've had to fix so far was a burned out side marker bulb.

If given the choice I would have picked the 5.7 Hemi but I was able to pick up this truck for a few less $$$$ than the trade-in on my 08' jeep liberty so I couldn't pass it up.

4.7 pulls the truck about as good as the F150 5.4L I drove for work back in 2009-2010. I have yet to feel like the engine is underpowered for the task unlike the 3.7 I had in the jeep.

If I ever pulled a trailer or boat I'm sure I would be missing the extra juice the hemi puts out.

TexasRammer

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Good motor if taken care of just like any other motor. If youre just looking for a truck and dont care about power or towing then it would be perfect just for driving around. But a hemi would be much better for towing and all and would have a lot better resale value

OP
OP
watajob

watajob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for all the replies. However, I'm more concerned about the reliability of the engine. I know it won't be a fireball and my current Sierra has the 4.3 V-6. Plus, my mileage is lousy. So, just about anything will feel like a rocket to me and won't seem like a hog. :) But, I'd hate to pass this one up. 16K miles, $19K, clean Carfax/Autochek and it has the Rambox, which I really like.

emjohn4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for all the replies. However, I'm more concerned about the reliability of the engine. I know it won't be a fireball and my current Sierra has the 4.3 V-6. Plus, my mileage is lousy. So, just about anything will feel like a rocket to me and won't seem like a hog. :) But, I'd hate to pass this one up. 16K miles, $19K, clean Carfax/Autochek and it has the Rambox, which I really like.

The 4.7 is plenty reliable. No real issues to be aware of.

Selcher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
It's a great, reliable engine... sounds great with aftermarket exhaust... it responds well to mods... you'll likely have no issues with it at all... Go for it!

Ocelot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think some of the gripes about the 4.7 are from the older ones. The 09 and up 4.7 was vastly redone and from my understanding is that its very solid and reliable.

Of course it doesn't have the power of the hemi, but it's a full liter smaller. I have the 4.7 because, like you, I found a great deal at the time. I wasn't really even looking for a new truck at the time. I have a small travel trailer that's 3500 lbs and it pulls it great.

The 4,7 is also really smooth and quiet. The Hemi would be my first choice if buying new, but my 2011 4.7 still is a respectable 310 HP with 330 lbs of torque with the bonus of no Hemi tick LOL

Ray

SJC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had an 08 ram 4.7 15004x4. Traded it in with 66000. Never had any mechanical problems. Didn't get real great fuel mileage. 12/16 about 10mpg with the boat hooked up.

Edit. I had a lifetime warranty on the power train and had to take it I. To get its 5 year inspection. They said I had a coolant leak around the timing cover. I never noticed it but it was free so I said go for it.

atticusfaul

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2005 4.7 with that I bought off a good friend for a really good deal. My water pump seal just went bad at 85,000 miles but that's the first maintenance it's had other than preventative stuff. Nice motor, runs and sounds great with exhaust but wish I had a bit more power.