46re quick shift out of 3rd

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Braeden Clark

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l
My 2000 Ram 5.9l with the 46re trans seems to like to instantly shift out of 3rd and into 4th. It goes into 3rd, but doesn't doesn't stay there for more then a second before going into 4th. Also likes to do this when downshifting. Which is annoying because sometimes I'm either screaming uphill in 2nd or lugging in 4th. Any ideas on why? Something out of adjustment? Also, does it hurt the trans at all to drive without overdrive on for a period of time? Thanks a lot.

OP
OP
Braeden Clark

Braeden Clark

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l
Well I solved that issue I think. Checked the fluid level and it was barely on the dipstick when idling in neutral. Guess I shouldn't have trusted the previous owner when he said it was full. Next question, how many gears does the 46re have? It is 1, 2, 3 and overdrive or 1, 2, 3, 4 and overdrive? I've read both.

Reactions: Mop

Bear_Gibson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
1 2 3 and overdrive. Think of it like a 727 with a gear vendors overdrive slapped on the back. If you didn't solve the issue, you might try the sonnax tv valve repair kit. You can tune it to hold 1-2-3 gear longer. Overdrive is electronically commanded and the pcm controls that, so as soon as it sees enough speed and not too much throttle it will command O/D. You can also try checking the tv cable adjustment.