4WD bad at turning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dehdlee Duo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 L Diesel
Hey all Wanted to get some input on a 4wd issue I have with my truck, I might need to take it to a shop to see if this is an issue but would like to get some answers first.

When in 4wd High or low, not worried about low since it is meant for crawling, the truck has no truning radius at all, if I turn it ever so slightly it will feel like binding up and as soon as I get straight it will not have the problem. I sit up 3 inch lift with 285 75 16's so they are a little wider than stock but not sure what would be the issue on this. I just feel like it has a wide track and it being a long bed maybe it is not meant for turning in 4WD. I am not sure. Let me know I would like to see if I can make it a little better.

Thank you in advance.

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Are you doing this on dry normal conditions?

or in snow/ice or mud/dirt?

If it is the first...you answered your own question. You should not be using 4wd here.

If it is the second....you may have an issue.

My crew cab 8 foot bed truck turns almost exactly how it does in 2wd in conditions that warrant 4wd

OP
OP
dehdlee Duo

dehdlee Duo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 L Diesel
I have not done it on dry tarmac, I understand that is not a smart thing. It was on snow and ice not severe but it is weird, doesn't lock but it seems like something is binding a little bit. like I mentioned in snow and ice.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
Entirely normal to get some degree of binding in the driveline when you turn in 4wd. There is no center differential therefor the front and rear tires turn at the same speed. Meanwhile the front is moving through a bigger arc than the rear so it will bind up until a tire slips. The more traction the more you will feel it. Also if you’re running aftermarket wheels with more poke which is popular the increase in scrub radius will make it felt even more in the steering.

OP
OP
dehdlee Duo

dehdlee Duo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 L Diesel
Thank you that helps a lot, I felt like there was some issue so I am happy you stated that and I will watch it more for any other issues if I have harder issues.

OP
OP
dehdlee Duo

dehdlee Duo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 L Diesel
Entirely normal to get some degree of binding in the driveline when you turn in 4wd. There is no center differential therefor the front and rear tires turn at the same speed. Meanwhile the front is moving through a bigger arc than the rear so it will bind up until a tire slips. The more traction the more you will feel it. Also if you’re running aftermarket wheels with more poke which is popular the increase in scrub radius will make it felt even more in the steering.
Is it normal to do this when offroading in general? will this break things if constantly used on a trail?

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Is it normal to do this when offroading in general? will this break things if constantly used on a trail?
No worries, it is plenty durable, the components can handle it. The thing to avoid is 4wd on dry pavement, because the traction is good so the stresses are much higher. And even some of that is not going to immediately cause breakage. Off roaders that do rock crawling are running oversized tires and turning in the rocks. Some of those surfaces can have extremely high grip. But again, nothing to be concerned about. As a general habit, when I am off road and making a lot of turns on high traction rock, I switch in and out of 4x4 and only use it when needed to minimize the binding. Not because I’m worried about breaking something, just because the truck will turn sharper in 2WD.

It is also a possibility that a binding front axle universal or other front drive wear can amplify the feedback. If you’re not sure what’s normal vs abnormal you could try trading seats with someone else to see how their vehicle feels and ask them to assess yours. Or ask a reliable technician to assess it for you. Just be careful who you ask. Too many shops see a high mileage vehicle as a gold mine to be dug into as much as po$$ible.

OP
OP
dehdlee Duo

dehdlee Duo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 L Diesel
No worries, it is plenty durable, the components can handle it. The thing to avoid is 4wd on dry pavement, because the traction is good so the stresses are much higher. And even some of that is not going to immediately cause breakage. Off roaders that do rock crawling are running oversized tires and turning in the rocks. Some of those surfaces can have extremely high grip. But again, nothing to be concerned about. As a general habit, when I am off road and making a lot of turns on high traction rock, I switch in and out of 4x4 and only use it when needed to minimize the binding. Not because I’m worried about breaking something, just because the truck will turn sharper in 2WD.

It is also a possibility that a binding front axle universal or other front drive wear can amplify the feedback. If you’re not sure what’s normal vs abnormal you could try trading seats with someone else to see how their vehicle feels and ask them to assess yours. Or ask a reliable technician to assess it for you. Just be careful who you ask. Too many shops see a high mileage vehicle as a gold mine to be dug into as much as po$$ible.
Thank you for that information, I really thought that would be the case since I have seen many people break things when rock crawling, I am not planning on doing that but more of an overlander with a long bed and something we can tow and go camping with as well as for later in the future.

For technicians lately I have had more luck with a subaru dealer than actual diesel shops, they have been much cheaper and they have a certified diesel tech at the one I have been taking my truck to. As well as the fact here where I live in ID some of these techs are retarted, they tell me an issue than they give me a quote and not even fix what they told me in the first place after 1200 later on a bill. I will be mostly doing my own thing as well as taking it to someone I know that won't rip me off. Thank you for that.

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
We overland with a long bed and a camper.

Attachments

• 20210508_171640_HDR.jpg
    20210508_171640_HDR.jpg
    246.3 KB · Views: 9
  • 20210508_112533.jpg
    20210508_112533.jpg
    250.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 20220528_105003.jpg
    20220528_105003.jpg
    329.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 20210606_125128.jpg
    20210606_125128.jpg
    311.2 KB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot_20221017-070659~2.png
    Screenshot_20221017-070659~2.png
    1 MB · Views: 9

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Right or wrong, I always called that driveline torsion. :cool:

I spent a few years off-roading and may have forgotten to switch back to 2 wheel drive, maybe a couple of times. :cool:

This video explains the concept of driveline wind-up (or insert your preferred term here) and demonstrates it with a model & a vehicle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EHcrjIlkHk

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Given this is a HD 5.9 CTD, there is a bunch more weight over the solid front axle. They do tend drive different when 4WD is engaged.
Wouldn't hurt to check the axle u-joints and if this was previously owned vehicle the front differential wasn't swapped out to a LSD.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Some real good answers here .. Very interesting !
Funny how they can design a car with full time 4x4 and it is fine !
Add the transfer case and it goes out the window lol

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Funny how they can design a car with full time 4x4 and it is fine !
Add the transfer case and it goes out the window
All wheel drive systems still use a transfer case but there is torque management that allows and sometimes controls the amount of torque transferred front to rear.
The BW44-44 transfer case would only send power to the front wheels when slippage was detected. Also the amount of torque was reduced if the front wheels were turned.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AWD and full time 4x4 system used to mostly include a center diff. Or in some cases fluid coupling viscous drives.

More recently the trend has been toward electronic controlled clutches that apply variable torque more quickly than you can feel it. That’s how the 4x4 auto mode in 1500 class trucks work.

AFAIK none of that tech has ever made it into HD pickups. Apparently the Stone Age stuff is more durable in heavy use.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
THANKS great explanations

OP
OP
dehdlee Duo

dehdlee Duo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 L Diesel
Man I learn everyday about things that can be explained simply but my brain thinks in a deffective and difficult way that is not simplistic, Excellent explinations for this in the forum. This has helped me very much to understand a little more about the 4wd on vehicles. Thank you for the video
Right or wrong, I always called that driveline torsion. :cool:

I spent a few years off-roading and may have forgotten to switch back to 2 wheel drive, maybe a couple of times. :cool:

This video explains the concept of driveline wind-up (or insert your preferred term here) and demonstrates it with a model & a vehicle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EHcrjIlkHk
This helps explain a lot, I always think of this but for some reason my brain doesn't want to understand. haha. This gives me a better understanding on how it works, This also helps me with my other SUV as well. Thank you all.

OP
OP
dehdlee Duo

dehdlee Duo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 L Diesel
We overland with a long bed and a camper.
This is awesome. Your rig must be hard on smaller trails. Since my truck is not a full cab like yours it seems that one would be a little harder to go across certain trails. but I wouldn't think so since my works well off road. 2wd in this truck is amazing I haven't gotten stuck yet. "Cross fingers"

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
This is awesome. Your rig must be hard on smaller trails. Since my truck is not a full cab like yours it seems that one would be a little harder to go across certain trails. but I wouldn't think so since my works well off road. 2wd in this truck is amazing I haven't gotten stuck yet. "Cross fingers"
I live in Pennsylvania. I go all over the state to the forests. We camp every weekend from April to October, and once a month November to March.

I have not found a trail yet I could not go down. Pinstripes are a given here. My truck has many battle scars. It enjoys it as much as we do.

Most of the trails are like these. So no big deal...even the camper likes to go down them.

Attachments

• IMG_20221205_213407.jpg
    IMG_20221205_213407.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 20210508_174404.jpg
    20210508_174404.jpg
    174.6 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot_20221014-120851.png
    Screenshot_20221014-120851.png
    832 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20221127_113259.jpg
    IMG_20221127_113259.jpg