4wd issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

56PW17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I guess it’s been a while since I put the truck in 4 hi. If I turn the wheel more than a full rotation on a turn it seems like the truck if fighting or skipping its way around the turn. On both left and right turns. This issue is new as of today 62k mike in. It almost feels like the front axel is locked.

I can’t ever remember 4 hi feeling like this.

As anyone had a similar issue come up?no check engine lights also and shifts into 4 hi no problem.
Look forward you hearing your responses.
Thanks

Peter

Ionicbrick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Are you on dry pavement or have the possibility of a wheel on dry pavement? Lurching or skipping in the front end is normal in this case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
56PW17

56PW17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Are you on dry pavement or have the possibility of a wheel on dry pavement? Lurching or skipping in the front end is normal in this case.

I'm on snow/ slushy roads. truck never did this when i ran the KO2 tires, now i run the Cooper AT3 XLT and I'm wondering if that has anything to do with it?
could it be the tires?

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Could be the axle U-joints. Jack up the front end and turn the steering wheel all the way to one side and spin the tire. If it tries to straighten out the wheel or binds it's your u-joints.

OP
OP
56PW17

56PW17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Could be the axle U-joints. Jack up the front end and turn the steering wheel all the way to one side and spin the tire. If it tries to straighten out the wheel or binds it's your u-joints.

i will try this, common for the U joint to wear by 65k miles?

Ionicbrick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I'm on snow/ slushy roads. truck never did this when i ran the KO2 tires, now i run the Cooper AT3 XLT and I'm wondering if that has anything to do with it?
could it be the tires?

I don’t have first hand experience with either of those tires, but traction is key. The higher the traction the more resistance there is, and more jerking. My old worn tires hardly jolt at all, but I know that new ones buck pretty good!

OP
OP
56PW17

56PW17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So would it make sense that it would be a u joint issue if it’s even an issue at all, that it only happens when it’s in 4wd?

Firetruck41

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 Mega Cab Hemi 5.7
That is totally normal for part time 4wd in most any vehicle. There is no center "differential", so the tires have to slip as you turn. You will have a larger turn radius as a result. It is more noticeable on a surface with more traction (or tires with better traction), vs a slippery surface.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
So would it make sense that it would be a u joint issue if it’s even an issue at all, that it only happens when it’s in 4wd?

Yes. If you have a u-joint that has gotten dry from lack of use or lack of lube, then it most definitely will act like this. Sometimes, when conditions are right, the vehicle will 'wobble' in 4wd or seem to pull the direction of your last turn in 2wd.

And u-joints are fickle, and installation basically dictates how long they will last. I've had u-joints last 100k miles, and I've had u-joints last about 3,000 miles. Whatever you do, buy a good, high-quality unit, not some cheap one (unless you are selling/trading your truck in soon).

OP
OP
56PW17

56PW17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes. If you have a u-joint that has gotten dry from lack of use or lack of lube, then it most definitely will act like this. Sometimes, when conditions are right, the vehicle will 'wobble' in 4wd or seem to pull the direction of your last turn in 2wd.

And u-joints are fickle, and installation basically dictates how long they will last. I've had u-joints last 100k miles, and I've had u-joints last about 3,000 miles. Whatever you do, buy a good, high-quality unit, not some cheap one (unless you are selling/trading your truck in soon).
There is a grease nipple on the joint isn’t there? Should I try greasing it first?

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
There is a grease nipple on the joint isn’t there? Should I try greasing it first?

No, there is only 1 grease nipple on the entire truck and that's the front drive shaft.

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Money is on a ujoint if it does it all the time. If it's just in 4 hi? Dunno... weird. Just went through this at 80000kms or so (I think? Maybe less)

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

OP
OP
56PW17

56PW17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Money is on a ujoint if it does it all the time. If it's just in 4 hi? Dunno... weird. Just went through this at 80000kms or so (I think? Maybe less)

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Go through what? Replacing the ujoints?

wgreggking

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4x4 offroad
Engine
My LSD off road in 4x4 high does some jerking at slow speeds, while turning one tire on ice one on dry pavement, various terrain situations. at first i was a bit surprised, but I think it's the conditions . At 46 K miles, shift on the fly or 4x4 low all seems ok. I regularly shift into 4hi when on loose dirt to exercise the mechanics. Dont think its tires.

OP
OP
56PW17

56PW17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My LSD off road in 4x4 high does some jerking at slow speeds, while turning one tire on ice one on dry pavement, various terrain situations. at first i was a bit surprised, but I think it's the conditions . At 46 K miles, shift on the fly or 4x4 low all seems ok. I regularly shift into 4hi when on loose dirt to exercise the mechanics. Dont think its tires.
So you think it could condition and traction based?

Firetruck41

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 Mega Cab Hemi 5.7
It's physics. Unless you have a center differential (you don't if it is part time 4wd transfer case), then when in 4wd, one or more tires will have to slip whenever you turn, if a tire doesn't slip than a u-joint or axle shaft will have to break. The reason is that the front and rear drive shaft turn at the same speed when in 4wd, but when turning, the tires will all be traveling at slightly different arcs and hence different distances, the ones traveling a shorter distance have to "scrub" or "slip". If you do a little Google research you could probably find some good explanations or even video to help you understand the physics involved when in 4wd.

A LSD rear diff can cause similar scrubbing of a rear tire when in 2wd, if the diff locks up when turning sharp, which seems to be common on some Rams.

OP
OP
56PW17

56PW17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's physics. Unless you have a center differential (you don't if it is part time 4wd transfer case), then when in 4wd, one or more tires will have to slip whenever you turn, if a tire doesn't slip than a u-joint or axle shaft will have to break. The reason is that the front and rear drive shaft turn at the same speed when in 4wd, but when turning, the tires will all be traveling at slightly different arcs and hence different distances, the ones traveling a shorter distance have to "scrub" or "slip". If you do a little Google research you could probably find some good explanations or even video to help you understand the physics involved when in 4wd.

A LSD rear diff can cause similar scrubbing of a rear tire when in 2wd, if the diff locks up when turning sharp, which seems to be common on some Rams.

i understand why it occurs, i just don't remember feeling it as much in the past. the difference between this winter season and last is new tires on my truck. i was wondering if anyone had this issue develop over time or if a tire change could make the scrubbing worse?

Firetruck41

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 Mega Cab Hemi 5.7
I found several videos, this one looks the most promising (haven't got all the way through it yet). They cover several different types of systems, so, just remember that you have a part time 4wd transfer case, an open front differential and an open or possibly Limited Slip (LSD) rear differential.

Many of the other responses in this thread referring to u joint problems or other problems, don't really seem to relate to the issue you explained in the original post. The issue as you related, seems to simply be the physics of a normal 4wd system.

Firetruck41

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 Mega Cab Hemi 5.7
i understand why it occurs, i just don't remember feeling it as much in the past. the difference between this winter season and last is new tires on my truck. i was wondering if anyone had this issue develop over time or if a tire change could make the scrubbing worse?
I saw this after I posted the video... I think the difference could be accounted for by grippier tires than previously, or a surface with more grip. On a slippery surface or with slippery tires, you won't notice the slippage as much, even though they will be slipping.

OP
OP
56PW17

56PW17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I saw this after I posted the video... I think the difference could be accounted for by grippier tires than previously, or a surface with more grip. On a slippery surface or with slippery tires, you won't notice the slippage as much, even though they will be slipping.
I really think the difference is the tires which is pretty crazy. I thought the KO2 was a great winter tire but these Coopers seem to have them beat