4wd low traction

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Odmeister

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Couple days ago I was driving on the highway while it was raining normally in the 2wd setting on my ram bighorn. Now usually when I’m driving I heavy raining conditions I activate 4wd low and I’m usually fine. In this case I didn’t think it was raining hard enough so I didn’t and I needing up doing a full 360 on the damn highway but luckily enough I gripped it and no damage was done. Now after that happened I wanted to put my ram in 4wd low and now when I switch it my traction control and electronic stability automatically turn off. I’ve done research and I have started using 4wd auto and I learned about 4wd low more but how do I fix this.

JohnnyMac

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner
I'm pretty sure you should only use 4wd Low when you are off road and need maximum traction. It can do damage to the truck because everything is wrapped up so tight. I believe 4 Low is designed to turn of TC and EDS because of that fact. You should only use 4 lock or 4 auto when traveling on pavement. And slow down.

19Jake

♕ REBEL LIFE ♕
Reaction score
Ram Year
'19 Rebel 12 HK
Engine
4WD LOW — provides low speed four-wheel drive. Maximizes torque to the front driveshaft; allowing front/rear wheels to rotate at the same speed. Provides additional traction & maximum pulling power for loose, slippery road surfaces. Don't exceed 25mph
IMG_2915.JPG

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Unless something has changed in the 19's it is impossible to go into 4 Low when the truck is moving or moving over 5 mph - one of those 2.
I am thinking maybe 4 lock is what he means?

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Learn how to counter steer? I've never used 4wd in the rain before, and barely use it in snow. At the very least you should know how to counter steer/ throttle out of a situation, just a good skill to know/have. If you're going to use it though, as others have said, definitely don't use 4 low. 4 high (higher speed) or more likely 4 auto would be the more ideal choice.

Also, what kind of tires are you running? Might look to upgrade there too.

Arvid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sounds to me like he hydroplaned and from what I’ve read the tires these trucks come with can do that. Not sure if any 4x4 setting will help in that situation.
And why I’ll be getting Michelin’s soon

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sounds to me like he hydroplaned and from what I’ve read the tires these trucks come with can do that. Not sure if any 4x4 setting will help in that situation.

Yeah really either way, hydroplane or lost traction, I agree that better tires would be a good idea. I've never had anything like that happen (full hydroplane) but I've always ran all terrains on my rams. Great wet/snow traction.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
You're definitely not shifting into 4 low while traveling at highway speeds. I think you mis-typed what you meant to say. As far as losing control, always drive for the conditions. If it's raining hard enough for the water to puddle on the highway you need to slow down. And try to avoid the puddles if you can safely do that.

FYI...not all of these trucks come with the Goodyear SR-A's which everyone complains about. My truck came from the factory with Falken Wildpeak A/T3W A tires. These tires so far have worked excellent in the rain and snow. No issues with hydroplaning. So far I'm very pleased with them.

OP
OP
O

Odmeister

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4WD LOW — provides low speed four-wheel drive. Maximizes torque to the front driveshaft; allowing front/rear wheels to rotate at the same speed. Provides additional traction & maximum pulling power for loose, slippery road surfaces. Don't exceed 25mph
View attachment 190447

Thank you I’m sorry I meant 4wd lock not low. I didn’t know what 4wd auto was before today but I’m now in 4wd auto constantly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
OP
O

Odmeister

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Learn how to counter steer? I've never used 4wd in the rain before, and barely use it in snow. At the very least you should know how to counter steer/ throttle out of a situation, just a good skill to know/have. If you're going to use it though, as others have said, definitely don't use 4 low. 4 high (higher speed) or more likely 4 auto would be the more ideal choice.

Also, what kind of tires are you running? Might look to upgrade there too.

My ram went a full 90 degrees in the matter of .2 seconds. The reason there was no damages to my truck was because I counted steered after that. I have the stock Goodyear tires. Seems i need to upgrade them based on what I’ve seen today.

OP
OP
O

Odmeister

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Yea a full hydroplane very terrifying and I almost flipped but it ended well. Which Michelin’s are you getting?

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My ram went a full 90 degrees in the matter of .2 seconds. The reason there was no damages to my truck was because I counted steered after that. I have the stock Goodyear tires. Seems i need to upgrade them based on what I’ve seen today.

Good save then! And yes if you have the goodyears I would upgrade those asap, just my opinion but those things do not belong on trucks.

OP
OP
O

Odmeister

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Good save then! And yes if you have the goodyears I would upgrade those asap, just my opinion but those things do not belong on trucks.

No lies on that one man I had no idea how bad they were. Thanks for the help!

soapy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Tire traction problem not a vehicle problem. Hey better tires.

hoss2695

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have Goodyear sr a tires. I love them never had an issue with them. I use 4w auto in heavier snow conditions an when I’m going to launch the truck at a green light. The truck has only been in 4w low once to make sure it was working. I drive close to a 100000 miles a year in a semi. So driving for the conditions of the road makes any tires safe. Even the best tires will hydroplane if Excessive speed is happening. Just my opinion

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
Couple days ago I was driving on the highway while it was raining normally in the 2wd setting on my ram bighorn. Now usually when I’m driving I heavy raining conditions I activate 4wd low and I’m usually fine. In this case I didn’t think it was raining hard enough so I didn’t and I needing up doing a full 360 on the damn highway but luckily enough I gripped it and no damage was done. Now after that happened I wanted to put my ram in 4wd low and now when I switch it my traction control and electronic stability automatically turn off. I’ve done research and I have started using 4wd auto and I learned about 4wd low more but how do I fix this.
4WD Low, You may switch it to that , but the truck will not go in, read the book that came with your truck.
4WD auto is what you want, but that will not stop hydro planing, that is from driving too fast, poor tiers, not knowing what you are doing.