4x4 Diagnostic help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CamDur440

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello I am looking for help to diagnose a 4x4 front end problem with 2004 Ram 1500 5.7Hemi 4x4. When I put the transfer case in 4x4 low or high the front end tings and clanks consistently with the rotating of the wheels. Any ideas on what to look for first. Truck has a new transfer case because it cracked and then I replaced it with a fully built one I got from a local dodge guy but the 4x4 problem was there before the transfer case exploded so it is not an issue with the Transfer case.

aviatorblackout

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Are you sure it's only when in 4wd? All the components of the front end- front drive shaft/diff/CVs/hubs will spin even when not in 4wd. If you only hear it in 4wd, its has to be something in your transfer case- when you shift to 4wd the belt that connects to the trans output is engaged.

If you hear the noise constantly, here is a breakdown of the order to check things-
1. Wheel hubs- lift it and wiggle the whole wheel- shouldn't have any play
2. CV joints- wiggle them to- these should have a very small amount of play- like 1/4". Make sure the boots look good- no tears. If you see grease you got a problem.
3. Front drive shaft- Similar to the CV shafts- very little play. Check the CV on the transfer case side for rips
4. Front diff- pull the cover and inspect for any issues. Put it in neutral and spin the front diff around, make sure no gears are chewed up or out of place. If you have a lot of metal shavings you have a problem.