4x4 problem Ram 2013+ 8-speed 44-44 transfer case

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gump

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
And for christsakes, this gentle engagement in the winter you're talking about. Are you trying to paint contemporary art on the head of a pin? Buy good tires, hammer the throttle or put chains on. You make it sound like you're climbing the last 100ft of Everest ******** with drag slicks and there's no room for error.

danmp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I have a friend with a truck with an auto tranfert case and with anti slip rear diff. I have a truck without auto mode and also anti slip. Both had same tire with same tread left

We was side by side parked in the same one foot of snow with ice under.

My truck get out of there without any problems, , the four wheels .

He's truck was a huge pain to move, the front wheels never worked at the same time like my truck.

We finally needed to put some sand under all his wheel to make it move from there.

That was not the first time something like this happen.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Allow me to throw out that a truck with a locker will throw the rear end towards a ditch when accelerating from a dead stop on an icy road, therefore a locker must be a factory mechanical defect. Correct? But we all salivate over our trucks having a locker or even a limited slip diff. What if Ram knows that proper application of torque keeps stupid people on the road instead of in the ditch so they made a deal with Borg Warner for this transfer case that works with clutches (like every auto transmission ever) to apply power to the front differential when needed in rough conditions because most people don't know when to actually use 4wd. So Ram is at fault for putting an intelligent all wheel drive (FOUR WHEEL DRIVE) system in a truck that some people think takes the place of a Jeep or heavy duty truck (POWER WAGON) when in reality it's only doing what a regular half ton will do: get by. Half ton trucks are not meant to be beat on. They never have been. Sure, we can pull 10,000 lbs now, but not through the beaches of Maryland or the rock of Moab. You guys have stories of crappy 98 GMCs doing that work, but my 88 W100 out-wheeled a Rubicon Jeep when I was told it wasn't possible. So why don't you naysayers sell your 44-44 equipped Rams, buy Ford Escapes(looking at you roadshow), and leave us Ram fans alone. I hear gmtruckclub.com LOVES new members.
Here is why society is going downhill. If you take a truck with the 44-44 and put it up against a half ton from say 2010 the older truck will beat it off road every time, in every category. Instead of providing education to people who do not know how to use 4wd so they know when to use it and when not to use it they come out with a dumbed down system that "gets by". I'm glad that you are happy with a system that is just adequate because you don't ever take your truck off road but it may come as a shock to you when I say I can't afford to buy two different vehicles just because Ram decided to turn the 1500 trucks into big cars. Some cars have higher payloads than the higher trimmed trucks and people will say how great the ride quality is as they drop their kids off at soccer practice because they belong in a minivan in the first place and never should have bought a truck.
It's the same thing as one day gun manufacturers start selling single shot pistols because all you really need is one bullet right? Why bother carrying anything more than that? One will "get you by" so it is stupid to carry more because that is just going to confuse people having to reload the gun.
You keep going downhill with the dumbing down with society, some people aren't fans of that.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

7777xm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Here is why society is going downhill. If you take a truck with the 44-44 and put it up against a half ton from say 2010 the older truck will beat it off road every time, in every category. Instead of providing education to people who do not know how to use 4wd so they know when to use it and when not to use it they come out with a dumbed down system that "gets by". I'm glad that you are happy with a system that is just adequate because you don't ever take your truck off road but it may come as a shock to you when I say I can't afford to buy two different vehicles just because Ram decided to turn the 1500 trucks into big cars. Some cars have higher payloads than the higher trimmed trucks and people will say how great the ride quality is as they drop their kids off at soccer practice because they belong in a minivan in the first place and never should have bought a truck.
It's the same thing as one day gun manufacturers start selling single shot pistols because all you really need is one bullet right? Why bother carrying anything more than that? One will "get you by" so it is stupid to carry more because that is just going to confuse people having to reload the gun.
You keep going downhill with the dumbing down with society, some people aren't fans of that.

My 2014 with the 44-44 out performs my 2010 ram.

Where are you getting these stats?

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
My 2014 with the 44-44 out performs my 2010 ram.

Where are you getting these stats?

From the fact I had my 2013 with the 44-44 and a 2015 rental with the 44-45.

7777xm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So it's your opinion. Your opinion doesn't mean that all 44-44 tcases blow.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
So it's your opinion. Your opinion doesn't mean that all 44-44 tcases blow.

Every one of them function the same way, some are a hair better than others, but all will overheat when really pushed hard.
It's hilarious that people sit here and defend this transfer case because it works for them which is fine, but if you really need 4wd a transfer case that actually locks would do better every time. I'm not talking about you got a dusting of snow and you are going down side roads, but a foot of snow driving down the expressway my 1500 wasn't sure footed at all, it was unsettling at times, I never had that in any other vehicle I've driven aside from my wife's explorer. However her explorer had a 4 lock button that enabled the clutch to be engaged until I turned it off and even it would bind while turning in that setting.

7777xm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Every one of them function the same way, some are a hair better than others, but all will overheat when really pushed hard.
It's hilarious that people sit here and defend this transfer case because it works for them which is fine, but if you really need 4wd a transfer case that actually locks would do better every time. I'm not talking about you got a dusting of snow and you are going down side roads, but a foot of snow driving down the expressway my 1500 wasn't sure footed at all, it was unsettling at times, I never had that in any other vehicle I've driven aside from my wife's explorer. However her explorer had a 4 lock button that enabled the clutch to be engaged until I turned it off and even it would bind while turning in that setting.

Mine has never overheated and that's with pushing it hard in mud for hours.

It's hilarious that people sit here a hate a transfer case because it didn't work for them

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Mine has never overheated and that's with pushing it hard in mud for hours.

It's hilarious that people sit here a hate a transfer case because it didn't work for them

Isn't that the point of a forum? People weigh in on their experience and share with others. I am happy to see you are happy but there are plenty of people not happy and I can see why.

7777xm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Isn't that the point of a forum? People weigh in on their experience and share with others. I am happy to see you are happy but there are plenty of people not happy and I can see why.
Yes, and the vast majority of people don't seek out forums to say it's working as it should.

Forums like this attract people who have problems. So 15 to 20 people out if 100,000+ have issues. Sounds like it's a pretty good tcase.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Yes, and the vast majority of people don't seek out forums to say it's working as it should.

Forums like this attract people who have problems. So 15 to 20 people out if 100,000+ have issues. Sounds like it's a pretty good tcase.

Typically I would agree but you have to admit this is a foolish design. It is a nightmare on ice and at the very least should be more transparent the way it is described. It I not locked it is better described as automatic 4WD or fuel saving 4WD.

ss12108

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 8 Speed
I have to be honest...I'm kinda glad this thread popped up and I am aware of this now. I'm definitely someone who made the stupid assumption that the 4wd mode that says lock, is an actual lock. I'm the guy who wants to show off my truck with some new tires and probably would have gotten myself stranded in the middle of a field somewhere showing how I can drive through deep snow haha

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

7777xm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Typically I would agree but you have to admit this is a foolish design. It is a nightmare on ice and at the very least should be more transparent the way it is described. It I not locked it is better described as automatic 4WD or fuel saving 4WD.
I would prefer the clutches to lock, but mine lock so quick that I don't experience what others have.

Being it's a programming thing, it is an easy fix for RAM.

As far as locked, it is. We just want it locked at idle, but it locks with throttle. So, it's not false advertising, it's just not what we expected.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I would prefer the clutches to lock, but mine lock so quick that I don't experience what others have.

Being it's a programming thing, it is an easy fix for RAM.

As far as locked, it is. We just want it locked at idle, but it locks with throttle. So, it's not false advertising, it's just not what we expected.

When the transfer case has officially been in trucks since 2013 and actually has been in some of them since 2011 with no fix I don't think it is high on anyone's list to fix.
Considering the fact that as you turn the wheel the clutch pressure decreases it still isn't the messiah of transfer cases like some people have made it out to be.

Gump

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don't remember people saying it's Gods gift to transfer cases, but it works just fine for 99% of the truck owners out there. Need to stop beating this dead horse unless you find a fix for it. Go stand outside FCA with a protest sign and bullhorn. It'd work much better than bringing it up here continuously, and cutting down the people who don't have issues with it (dumbed down, don't use it like a real truck, don't know how to wheel, etc...).

7777xm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There's nothing to fix. The engineers confirmed it's working as it should. The ones that are not are isolated cases.

I'd be happy if one of our tuner guys found a way to reprogram the clutch to stay engaged when in lock.

I just drove 10 miles, it's raining out, in 4 lock and mine definitely binds on turns and performance is different than 4 auto.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
There's nothing to fix. The engineers confirmed it's working as it should. The ones that are not are isolated cases.

I'd be happy if one of our tuner guys found a way to reprogram the clutch to stay engaged when in lock.

I just drove 10 miles, it's raining out, in 4 lock and mine definitely binds on turns and performance is different than 4 auto.

Care to share a video? I've seen many people post theirs binds during a turn but of the 3 I've ridden in with 3 different model years and 2 different engines not one of them binded.

7777xm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Care to share a video? I've seen many people post theirs binds during a turn but of the 3 I've ridden in with 3 different model years and 2 different engines not one of them binded.

If I go out later, I'll try to grab a video. Sippin on bourbon at the moment while smoking a turkey!

It will bind only if throttle is applied, coasting, no bind. It seems to stay locked though at speeds over 10 mph as well, regardless of throttle position

cak446

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have to be honest...I'm kinda glad this thread popped up and I am aware of this now. I'm definitely someone who made the stupid assumption that the 4wd mode that says lock, is an actual lock. I'm the guy who wants to show off my truck with some new tires and probably would have gotten myself stranded in the middle of a field somewhere showing how I can drive through deep snow haha

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Thank you for demonstrating that there are still some people who are capable of independent thought and have rational and critical thinking skills.

Many of the responses on this thread have me worried for society. If you think about it, there are a lot of similarity in this thread to what is currently going on in with our society and our political system.

With the introduction of the BW 44-44 Ram was able to change the long standing definition of 4wd Lock to something that isn't the same as the common definition understood and used by the people. Ram is able to get away with this change, since there is no accountability in the industry, and no one to hold them to a higher standard.

It's a small change that most people won’t notice, since most people don't care or use their trucks in a manner that it will be an issue. However there are defiantly still people affected by this deception. When these people find out they've been lied to, and discover there is a fatal flaw with the system, they still can't do anything to change the system, because they are too small of a minority, and even when the try to show the public that facts about the flaws of the system, the people are too set in their ways to change their minds. Just look at some of the excuses people use in this thread:

- "My truck works fine, I don't notice any issues, it must be your truck that is defective"

- "My truck works fine, for how I use it, the issues you have are minor stop complaining about it"

- "I've been a proud Dodge man for years, my Dodge truck is the best, all the other trucks, are junk"

- "I want the 4wd auto setting, because I don't know how, or I'm just too lazy to properly use the 4wd Lock setting"

- "My truck locks up in 4wd Lock, it says so right on the button, Ram wouldn't lie to us "

I could go on, but you get the point. The sad thing about this whole thing, is that there is a really simple solution. The BW 44-44 could be programmed to actually lock up in 4wd Lock, and 4wd Low, and still retain the 4wd on demand setting of 4wd Auto. Or a simple description of how the 4wd system works, with a re-labeling of the buttons, would inform buyers that need a true 4wd to spend their money elsewhere. This would keep everyone happy!

Unfortunately it doesn't happen, since Ram is a corporation, with the sole purpose of making money. Someone within the corporation figured they could make more money, by making the truck more car like, sacrificing the usefulness and capability the truck. Ram is selling more trucks than ever, so there is no incentive to change. People are too distracted by everything else in their lives to even care or notice.

All I can do is try and learn from my $46,000+ mistake, and try and educate as many people as I can, to prevent them from making the same mistake I did. I know I can't change the system, all I can do is try to live within it the best I can.