4x4 problem Ram 2013+ 8-speed 44-44 transfer case

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yillbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
... Have you actually driven in snow? Traction control cuts engine power to the point where you can't move sometimes, if it is made to go in mud and snow and everything why would they have an off button? By the way, since I see you haven't even had your truck for a month you don't have a whole lot of experience with it and those tires but they are one of the worst rated tires on snow and ice.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I have had my 2016 for a month. But I had my 2014 and my 2012 , and my 2009, and my 2003, and my 2001 for nearly 17 years. Of course I drive in the snow. Traction control cuts engine power for a reason, 4lo turns off traction control. You'd know this had you known what your purchased. Sitting in 18 inches of anything and just spinning your tires is ignorant. Even more so with snow, create some more ice for yourself, its your ignorant purchase , wouldn't put it past you.

yillbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Anyone have any videos of the 44-44 getting stuck with proper equipment in the snow ?

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I have had my 2016 for a month. But I had my 2014 and my 2012 , and my 2009, and my 2003, and my 2001 for nearly 17 years. Of course I drive in the snow. Traction control cuts engine power for a reason, 4lo turns off traction control. You'd know this had you known what your purchased. Sitting in 18 inches of anything and just spinning your tires is ignorant. Even more so with snow, create some more ice for yourself, its your ignorant purchase , wouldn't put it past you.

Ok... Every vehicle turns off traction control in 4 low. The fact you obviously aren't reading everything I'm saying is very evident, my truck should not have had this transfer case to begin with. I work with a lot of people who go off road in different types of vehicles, I guess I will have to tell them your revolutionary idea of installing traction control because it is the cure all to everything apparently. In normal driving in a little bit of snow you are right leave the traction control on, but when you are in gravel or dirt you sometimes have to dig down to the bare ground to get any traction, sitting there with traction control on does you nothing. It actually wasn't just sitting there spinning that did it, when I turned the wheel side to side is when it started to decrease clutch pressure and overheated the transfer case. For the record even with the horrible Firestone tires I have yet to get stuck in my 2500, no matter what I've driven it in.

yillbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ok... Every vehicle turns off traction control in 4 low. The fact you obviously aren't reading everything I'm saying is very evident, my truck should not have had this transfer case to begin with. I work with a lot of people who go off road in different types of vehicles, I guess I will have to tell them your revolutionary idea of installing traction control because it is the cure all to everything apparently. In normal driving in a little bit of snow you are right leave the traction control on, but when you are in gravel or dirt you sometimes have to dig down to the bare ground to get any traction, sitting there with traction control on does you nothing. It actually wasn't just sitting there spinning that did it, when I turned the wheel side to side is when it started to decrease clutch pressure and overheated the transfer case. For the record even with the horrible Firestone tires I have yet to get stuck in my 2500, no matter what I've driven it in.

Your 2500 sounds a lot like my 1500. Arguing about it does no
Good. We have two different view points. Your entitled to your opinion, I mine. We won't argue over me being right or wrong. It sucks it doesn't work for you.

My offer still stands, I've got the bald tires in 2wd I'll show you warriors hoe to properly navigate thick snow without a transfer case at all, it seems many of you need a lesson on how to drive in snow, admittingly your ego would likely be hurt, considering we don't get snow in south Texas.

All kidding aside, the case is good for millions of people. Dodge isn't going to find a way to fix something they can make for less and get away with. That's the bottom line. Even I would like to see the 4lock work a bit differently. It unlocks if you've stopped spinning on mine, while that's fine. Cause I already have momentum , I'd still like it out of preference.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
TC can be disabled in 2wd, and in 4 auto, or 4 lock, TC and ESC can be disabled.

The government also dictates a lot of these mandates. At least we have the ability to turn TC off as a lot of cars can't!

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

It can't truly be disabled in any mode except 4WD lock. The other modes it it just sort of disabled. Yes probably government mandated. Doesn't bug me that much. The fact people would define a terrible designed transfer case amazes me. If I bought a 1500 with the 44-44 I would simply insist a transfer case from prior years was installed or it get swapped to a 44-45. No way in hell I would buy the truck knowing it is "working" as intended and would be a liability on icy days. Probably fine in Texas and the south but why would an automaker in Detroit even think a transfer case so limited would be a good design?

7777xm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It can't truly be disabled in any mode except 4WD lock. The other modes it it just sort of disabled. Yes probably government mandated. Doesn't bug me that much. The fact people would define a terrible designed transfer case amazes me. If I bought a 1500 with the 44-44 I would simply insist a transfer case from prior years was installed or it get swapped to a 44-45. No way in hell I would buy the truck knowing it is "working" as intended and would be a liability on icy days. Probably fine in Texas and the south but why would an automaker in Detroit even think a transfer case so limited would be a good design?
ESC disabled is all the same.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
ESC disabled is all the same.

No it is not. You need to study up so you can have some credibility. In other modes it will automatically turn off once higher speed is reached and it isn't completely off. Many many folks have written about this. The only ways to disable fully is pull fuse or pull a wheel sensor for when in 2WD, 4hi lock and 4wd auto. 4 low automatically does it but still may have some nannies too.

7777xm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No it is not. You need to study up so you can have some credibility. In other modes it will automatically turn off once higher speed is reached and it isn't completely off. Many many folks have written about this. The only ways to disable fully is pull fuse or pull a wheel sensor for when in 2WD, 4hi lock and 4wd auto. 4 low automatically does it but still may have some nannies too.
What is the difference between these two?06f0b9a298d44d760e44a43471cb3236.jpg36a875027df16720a7ddb0e6b459fabf.jpg

ss12108

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 8 Speed
What is the difference between these two?06f0b9a298d44d760e44a43471cb3236.jpg36a875027df16720a7ddb0e6b459fabf.jpg

Does that happen on your EVIC just by turning on 4wdAuto or 4wdLock? That definitely doesn't happen in my 2013.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

7777xm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Manually comes on with the long press of the TC button

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Does that happen on your EVIC just by turning on 4wdAuto or 4wdLock? That definitely doesn't happen in my 2013.

Yeah, didn't happen with my 2013 either.

ss12108

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 8 Speed
Manually comes on with the long press of the TC button

Oh gotcha I thought you were showing that it came on whenever you turned on any 4wd mode.

7777xm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Oh gotcha I thought you were showing that it came on whenever you turned on any 4wd mode.

4 low is the only mode that it automatically turns off ESC

ss12108

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 8 Speed
4 low is the only mode that it automatically turns off ESC

Yea that's what I thought...That's why I was confused haha

7777xm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
And unlike my 2010, I haven't seen ESC turn back on at certain speeds.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins

Probably nothing between auto and lock both will automatically turn off when you reach 40mph. In 4WD LO they know you can't get much speed so they allow it to stay off until put back into lock, auto or 2WD. I have read that esp off never truly allows being fully disabled as ESP and T/M are written in per the government rules.

It is possible that they changed this on newer models since I see you stated yours doesn't automatically turn off. Mine most definitely will with too much wheel spin.