5.0 RA2 swap for 5.0 RA2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Clutch Rockford

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello everyone, my second post here. My humble apologies if I get long winded.

I had a 5.0 RA2 Uconnect radio go kaput on me. I wanted to replace it with the same exact radio pt# 68226685AB. I have a rear camera, siriusxm radio subscription, hands free Bluetooth. It does what I need. I ordered a replacement from infotainment.com $522 pt# 682711367AC. I learned today the original radio part number has been discontinued.

Front view they are identical, on the back they differ. The original radio is elongated the new ones back is pug nosed.

The new one has all the same plug-ins ,hooked up and mounted like it was cool. Turned the power on and the radio works just fine EXCEPT it has NO sound, notta zero. I called Uconnect and did a reboot, checked the amp fuse it all looks good

I do have the anti-theft code for the new one. Infotainment guaranteed it to be pre-programmed and compatible. All I want is for it to work & perform as it did when I bought it, no more no less.

Any guesses on why I can’t get any sound? Bad new radio? Maybe the anti-theft code? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

The radio on the left is the original, the right is the replacement. They look quite different

radios.jpg

UnsatFC

Active duty NAVY
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When you first installed it did the radio ask for the anti theft code?

TMyers

USMC 84' - 92'
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
No problem on the elongated RA2 verses the flat, they work the same. If the radio needed the anti theft code, that would have been the first thing you saw when you installed it.

I know this is a reach but is there anyway you pressed the mute button as you powered up the radio? Or, does the mute button seam stuck?

The last thing I would do is disconnect the battery after the install. See if that will reboot it.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
For that kind of coin you spent, I would be all over infotainment.com to get it figured out.

OP
OP
C

Clutch Rockford

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No problem on the elongated RA2 verses the flat, they work the same. If the radio needed the anti theft code, that would have been the first thing you saw when you installed it.

I know this is a reach but is there anyway you pressed the mute button as you powered up the radio? Or, does the mute button seam stuck?

The last thing I would do is disconnect the battery after the install. See if that will reboot it.

My initial thoughts exactly. No I turned on and off the mute several times. The icon displayed when it was off and disappeared when I turned the mute off. I have not disconnected the battery yet, it's storming outside now but first thing tomorrow I will give it a shot.

Thank you very much for the response

OP
OP
C

Clutch Rockford

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For that kind of coin you spent, I would be all over infotainment.com to get it figured out.

I would but they are closed until Tue. they have people taking messages. Maybe that is for the best, I'm a little frustrated at the moment. The dealer wanted $700 and I couldn't pin them down on a time frame for delivery. I got the feeling they didn't want to fool with it. Infotainment seemed like a good option. They have guaranteed hassle free returns within 30 days, the part 90 days. I hope to have this solved by then but I will darn sure send it back if I have too.

Really appreciate your reply, thanks

TMyers

USMC 84' - 92'
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
My truck came with the 3.0 base radio. I purchased my 5.0 Uconnect from a salvage yard for $90.00. They offered a 90 day return policy. I did have to get the unlock code from the dealership but it was plug and play. I had to pay $15 to get the XM account switched.

I added a microphone for the phone ($40) and I added the steering wheel controls this weekend. They were another $200 or so from Benny at Allmoparparts.com here on the forum. So all told, I've spent about $340.00 for the conversion.

The reason I made the swap was my AUX and USB ports did not work and the 3.0 did not have Bluetooth. Everything works perfect now except the compass. I don't have an overhead console for the module.

Tjw2005

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
My truck came with the 3.0 base radio. I purchased my 5.0 Uconnect from a salvage yard for $90.00. They offered a 90 day return policy. I did have to get the unlock code from the dealership but it was plug and play. I had to pay $15 to get the XM account switched.

I added a microphone for the phone ($40) and I added the steering wheel controls this weekend. They were another $200 or so from Benny at Allmoparparts.com here on the forum. So all told, I've spent about $340.00 for the conversion.

The reason I made the swap was my AUX and USB ports did not work and the 3.0 did not have Bluetooth. Everything works perfect now except the compass. I don't have an overhead console for the module.

I’ve been considering this conversion. Where does the mic go? I have the backup camera in the rear view.

TMyers

USMC 84' - 92'
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I’ve been considering this conversion. Where does the mic go? I have the backup camera in the rear view.

This is the Microphone that I used. (Brandmotion 5000-PESMVR Replacement Microphone Kit)
You have to splice it into the harness on the passenger side of the dash. I wanted to keep my camera monitor in the rearview. I attached the mic to the windshield above the rearview mirror.

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I would but they are closed until Tue. they have people taking messages. Maybe that is for the best, I'm a little frustrated at the moment. The dealer wanted $700 and I couldn't pin them down on a time frame for delivery. I got the feeling they didn't want to fool with it. Infotainment seemed like a good option. They have guaranteed hassle free returns within 30 days, the part 90 days. I hope to have this solved by then but I will darn sure send it back if I have too.

Really appreciate your reply, thanks

Curious to see how you make out with Infotainment. I had kind of had the same problem with them but I needed a short radio for a 2018 and they sent a long one that wont fit the inner dash bracket. Sent the long one back but no short ones were available?? Doug the owner is working on getting me the correct radio but doesn't know when. Good luck, I'm interested to see how YOU make out!

OP
OP
C

Clutch Rockford

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Curious to see how you make out with Infotainment. I had kind of had the same problem with them but I needed a short radio for a 2018 and they sent a long one that wont fit the inner dash bracket. Sent the long one back but no short ones were available?? Doug the owner is working on getting me the correct radio but doesn't
when. Good luck, I'm interested to see how YOU make out!

I literally just now got it working as advertised. Relieved to be done with the hassle but it was a learning experience.

I exhausted everything I could do on my own. I really settled in my mind I would have to send it back and just get an after market system. I HAD to wait for them to open up today and speak with their tech service. They recommended I do a CAN-bus reset. The procedure is as follows for anyone who may be interested:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please try to perform a canbus reset as this is to make sure the new system is properly communicating to your vehicle computer brain.

Can-bus reset:

-Take the positive and negative cables off your battery
-Tap them together and hold for 3 seconds
-(if you have a diesel, disconnect both batteries, then do one battery at a time then go to next step)
-Let the vehicle sit for 10 minutes.
-Reconnect the cables to the battery.
-Let the vehicle sleep for 10-15 minutes
-Restart the vehicle with the engine running.
-Test the unit

This can fix a majority of strange issues in our experience and will eliminate any glitches or bugs going on with the the system usually. If it does not fix the issue then we suggest disconnecting and reconnecting the plugs to the radio if you haven't done so already.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This fixed the audio bug and I am satisfied with my purchase

Did infotainment charge you a restocking fee when you sent their unit back?

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Glad you got it working, I know that's a relief. As to a restocking charge, the answer is no as the problem was on their end. I'm hopeful that the owner Doug will contact me soon with news about a radio for my truck. Tried to contact them today for a microphone harness availability but no response, they must be busy after the long holiday weekend.

jmc921

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L Hemi
I just installed the RA2 from Infotainment along with there Aftermarket OE Style Backup Camera. The camera works great but I don't have the compass and I can't read the iPod connected to the factory USB. Technical support had me try the same Can-bus reset but it didn't change anything. I also disconnected and reconnected all of the plugs - didn't help. I just reported that back to their technical support chat but haven't got a reply. I may try the procedure again.

SteveM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello everyone, my second post here. My humble apologies if I get long winded.

I had a 5.0 RA2 Uconnect radio go kaput on me. I wanted to replace it with the same exact radio pt# 68226685AB. I have a rear camera, siriusxm radio subscription, hands free Bluetooth. It does what I need. I ordered a replacement from infotainment.com $522 pt# 682711367AC. I learned today the original radio part number has been discontinued.

Front view they are identical, on the back they differ. The original radio is elongated the new ones back is pug nosed.

The new one has all the same plug-ins ,hooked up and mounted like it was cool. Turned the power on and the radio works just fine EXCEPT it has NO sound, notta zero. I called Uconnect and did a reboot, checked the amp fuse it all looks good

I do have the anti-theft code for the new one. Infotainment guaranteed it to be pre-programmed and compatible. All I want is for it to work & perform as it did when I bought it, no more no less.

Any guesses on why I can’t get any sound? Bad new radio? Maybe the anti-theft code? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

The radio on the left is the original, the right is the replacement. They look quite different

View attachment 139241

This is really weird. I am in the exact same predicament. The VP2 (P68088693AE) in my 2013 Big Horn started doing the continuous reboot cycle - the only thing that continued to operate properly was the cd player and the audio volume knob. So I guess that means the amp is still good. The original radio is the long version.

I installed a 2018 VP2 (P68365210AB) short version, and everything works except I have no audio output and the cd player is no longer available as an input.

Immediately after the install, the cd player was recognized, but the display continuously said "Reading Disc" and never started playing a track. After my initial testing, I figured the radios were incompatible and I would need to go a different route. But then I found this thread which gave me hope. So I performed the CAN-bus reset and after that the cd player was not recognized and there was still no audio output.

After rereading the OP's message, I see that initially uconnect instructed him "reboot" the radio. I'm not sure what he means by "reboot" and I don't think I have performed this step. Would someone be so kind as to explain how to reboot the radio?

I'm about ready to give up on these flaky factory radios. With as much trouble as people are having with them, it probably makes more sense to give some other brand a try.

Last edited: