5.2 to 5.9 swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jlutz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
I got some questions I have read some of the other threads but know I have more questions then answers. I have a 5.9 out of a 99 durango my truck is 01 Dodge ram 1500 sport with a 5.2. Both were auto transmissions. I noticed the fuel injectors are bigger in the 5.9 but from what I have read the 5.2 skinny ones run at the same PSI. Different year engines had different style injectors so my plan is to just swap the whole intake, fuel rail & injectors off the 5.2 to the 5.9 since the injector plugs are different. So I should be good there? I have read that the only difference is the flexplate? But torque convertors are the same? Now for the biggest concern. The PCM & ECU do I need to replace both or just one or the other of those with one from a 5.9? That being said does anyone know if there is or was a difference with years and type? Like since the 5.9 came out of a 99 Durango should I find those from that year and model or would anything running a 5.9 work with in a certain year range truck or SUV?

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Injector type changed in 2000 model year but otherwise they're identical. Match your stock rail/injectors to the new 5.9
Flexplate from the 5.9 will be used
PCM isn't SUPER critical but it will run better if you find a 5.9 PCM for a 2001 Ram. Match year/model/engine/trans