5.7 engjne knocking!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

670hoth

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My neighbor has an 09 1500 hemi with 180k miles and it started knocking after getting run 3 quarts low on oil (long story). It seems very, very likely to me that it's a rod knock. The sound is definitely coming from the bottom of the engine. The truck does not have any lifter tick issues and the oil pressure is still good although he thinks it might be slightly lower. We dump a quart of Lucas oil stabilizer in it after he had the oil changed and it did not seem to make a difference. He was quoted $6,000 for a reman engine installed but the truck has the high miles and needs some rest repair so it's not really worth it. I was wondering if it's possible to put a crank kit in these engines while still in the truck? I know it's a long shot but thought I would ask if anyone's ever heard of it being done. This would be the only possible way it would make financial sense to try to fix the truck if he could get this done for around $2K or $2500 max. Thanks

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Think junkyard engine, maybe get that done same price.

If you are trying to silent banging metal viscosity wont help, and that is what lucas is. If something would work, maybe a can of mos2 would, it is an EP treatment, or extreme pressure additive, it survives pressure of metal to metal contact.

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can remove the oil pan without fully removing the engine. I believe you have to lower the front differential and possibly raise the engine to get it out.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It would take more time and bs to try and remove the crank in truck then it would be to pull motor. You could have motor out in 1-2 hours maybe post a vid of it running/knocking.