5.9l Noise with Video

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Braeden Clark

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l
My 2000 Dodge Ram 1500 with the 5.9l Magnum has started to make a bit of a tapping noise when revved and warm. Only seems to do it when warm. It's also not very consistent. One time it will do it. The next time I rev it to the same spot, it may not. This truck is new to me so I am not sure if its been doing this or not. Also, I don't hear it when driving at all. Only when I pop the hood and rev it. It's definitely a tapping noise and it sounds like its from the passenger side. As a side note one of my pulleys is noisy. The fact it's not very consistent makes me think maybe a loose rocker arm? It's got 203k miles and seems to run strong. Oil pressure is great. Sitting no lower then like 30-35 hot. You can copy and paste the link below into your browser to listen

Bear_Gibson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
The fact that you ad to rev it makes me think it's not a lifter. Loose rocker would do it all the time. I've had lifters tick occasionally and it does it at idle. I'd be looking for a small exhaust leak, or maybe an engine accessory that's making noise. You could still have lifter tick, or rod knock with good oil pressure. It doesn't sound like engine parts to me. loose spark plug?

Reactions: Mop
OP
OP
Braeden Clark

Braeden Clark

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l
The fact that you ad to rev it makes me think it's not a lifter. Loose rocker would do it all the time. I've had lifters tick occasionally and it does it at idle. I'd be looking for a small exhaust leak, or maybe an engine accessory that's making noise. You could still have lifter tick, or rod knock with good oil pressure. It doesn't sound like engine parts to me. loose spark plug?
I am hoping it's not the lifter. I owned a Jeep 4.0l before this engine so I know a lot about lifters lol. My Jeep sounded like a diesel at idle but would smooth out with rpm. I may look into an engine accessory. I know one of them makes a funny noise at idle. At least I think it's an engine accessory... pretty positive. Or it's my timing chain smacking around and then causing this noise when I rev it. Idk. I'll have to look into it. Might pull the valve cover and use a stethoscope at some point. How hard is the exhaust manifold gasket to replaced? Looks easy to me. Right now I'm not overly concerned about the noise but will keep my ears open and try to find it.

JDSR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
I’d check the timing chain for slack, easy to do won’t take but a couple minutes.

Reactions: Mop

Bear_Gibson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
Visibly checking the timing chain is a very time consuming process. It's behind the water pump. My chain had 180 some thousand miles and wasn't very stretched. Generally they slap the timing cover at idle. Here's a video of a loose chain sound.

OP
OP
Braeden Clark

Braeden Clark

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l
Visibly checking the timing chain is a very time consuming process. It's behind the water pump. My chain had 180 some thousand miles and wasn't very stretched. Generally they slap the timing cover at idle. Here's a video of a loose chain sound.

Yea that's unfortunately what I thought. Chances are if I'm going to inspect it, I'm going to replace it even if it's not bad. My noise js kinda similar to that one. But mine only does jt when revved. For now I know my tensioner pulley is bad so might as well change that and hope it magically fixes the noise. For now though the noise doesn't worry me. The video makes it sound worse then it is. I can't even hear it when driving. Or in park with the hood down. Just going to monitor it and see if it worsens.[/url]

OP
OP
Braeden Clark

Braeden Clark

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l
Get a mechanics stethoscope and start prodding the engine in different places
I've done the poor mans version with a long screwdriver to figure out which pulley was bad. Engine doesn't make any noise at idle so I'm gonna have to have someone rev it while I try to listen. All I can tell so far is it seems to be on passenger side. Which is also where the tensioner pulley is so maybe if Im super lucky that will be it. First I need to swap my differential out.... gonna use a 3rd gen one with disk brakes preferably. Need to find a good welder to move the perches.

JDSR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
Easy way to check chain slack is to remove distributor cap and put a socket / breaker bar on crank. Now you want to turn engine to the right and watch the rotor button, when it moves stop and then go to the left still watching the rotor it should move right away. If there is any stretch in the chain you will see it now.

Spike95

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Another question. What exactly does spark knock sound like? Anything like whats in the video I posted?
It sounds like rattling a can of marbles. In my experience, it is usually not as perfectly rhythmic as the video you posted. Whatever is happening with your engine sounds like it is perfectly in time with the engine. First place I would look is an exhaust leak.

Last edited: