52 gallon fuel tank

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ohio5pt7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I'd like to find an option but also considering trading for a ecodiesel gladiator 1st world problems

bankshot

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi5.7
Recalibrated fuel gauge involves a number 2 pencil and a note pad

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.

I did find those. My capacity was set to 0 so I had changed it to 121 liters.

The full and empty was 98% & 2% so I changed it to 5%. I guess I'll wait and see what happens. There are other settings too for 3/4, 1/2, 1/4, E Stop, & Empty datum for fuel voltage but have no idea what I'd change there so I left it alone.
Screenshot_20201221-175115_AlfaOBD.jpg

NWhunt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Following

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

leroys73

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
random site on a random internet, i came across a 52 gallon diesel tank

has anyone got one?

how does the truck handle it , extra weight and all

Why would it cause a problem in even a 1500 when it is rated to haul a decent load. I used to run a 20 and a 36 gallon gasoline tank under the bed and a 100 gallon propane tank in the bed of my half ton (Chevy then a Ford and later a Chevy 3/4 ton van). No problems. When I ran propane it was about a third of the price of gasoline. If I bought the propane at my local place, usually no road tax was collected. That was when 10 to 12 mpg was considered good.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
I copied my post below from another thread so you can see it can be recalibrated for the 52 gallon tank and should be accurate.
Instead of 121 liters (32g), you would change it to 197 liters (52g).
see below.

Theres a few threads on this matter which I have posted on about using AlphaOBD app to recalibrate the CLUSTER readings of the gauge to coincide with actual fuel level.
Like others my fuel light would come on @ 50 mile range. When I would fill it would only take 26. At most it took 29 and that was with the gauge on E hard for 25+ miles. My 2018 CTDHO truck has the 32 gal tank.

So I went into the Body module using ALPHAOBD and changed some settings. One thing was the capacity to 121 liters (32 g) . I also changed the Cluster Calibration percentage readings for FULL, LFW, & EMPTY to the highest for full, and lowest for empty and the LFW I think I set to 2 or 5%.

I ran a test initially after the recal. I filled the tank and ran it down to 1/4 tank on the gauge. Upon filling, from 1/4 to half it took 8.2 gallons. I continued to fill to half and it took another 8 gallons. The to full it took another 8. Since it's a 32 gallon tank it looked pretty promising my gauge is accurate.

Final test I ran it empty yesterday. the 50 mile range light came on with the needle in the red. I continued to run it until the needle was down to E and range wouldn't give miles anymore. I filled the tank yesterday morning and sure enough the pump clicked off at 31.7 gallons with me able to top it off with 32.2 gallons. I don't normally top off but I wanted to see how much more I could squeeze in.

Conclusion problem solved for me. I'm going to run this tank low again and see if it has the same results.

screenshot_20201221-162714_alfaobd-jpg.234440

Quint

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Big Horn 1500
Engine
5.7L v8 eTorque
I have always wanted to recalibrate my tank from the 26g to 32g. After reading your post, I now fear that I am too used to having an additional 6 gallons in there after the light comes on. I'll probably just leave it but appreciate you posting all of that!

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
I have always wanted to recalibrate my tank from the 26g to 32g. After reading your post, I now fear that I am too used to having an additional 6 gallons in there after the light comes on. I'll probably just leave it but appreciate you posting all of that!

I can understand that and considered just getting use to it but coming from a Superduty where Empty means empty, it is what I'm use to.

Wulf

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Dumb question can you use a diesel tank on a gas truck?
Someone might have already answered this elsewhere in this thread, and it is kind of a long time after to answer, but felt like adding this could be helpful to others (like me) wondering the same thing.

I have not been able to pull it up, because not sure if I was looking on this computer or another one (browser history wouldn't have it from another one), but I seem to remember there being a tank company in Australia that did what equates to 52 gallon (196.8408 liters/litres on converter site in browser) tanks specifically for the 1500 RAM Classic, which has more likelihood of being gasoline, and not diesel, where the heavier (2500/3500/up) are more likely to be diesel, and Titan tanks available in the US would work with them.

Edit: As a quick reference, so you don't need to go look it up, my Warlock (and a lot of other Classics/DSs I am sure) comes with the 26 gallon tank, which is 98.4204 liters/litres.

Now, if I remember right when I was poking around that site earlier this year, it was specifically for gas, not diesel, but the price was in the neighborhood of $1,000+ (their dollars) for the tank. I do not remember if they had on there a way for them, the installer, or the customer to recalibrate the fuel gauge to read the higher capacity or not, but that part sounds like it might be able to be handled with AlphaOBD or something similar. If it was them, and you were in the US, shipping your vehicle there and back would basically kill that idea outright due to cost alone.

I will try to look through my browser history here, and see if I can re-find that company, and if so, post it here at some point.

Last edited:

Wulf

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Someone might have already answered this elsewhere in this thread, and it is kind of a long time after to answer, but felt like adding this could be helpful to others (like me) wondering the same thing.

I will try to look through my browser history here, and see if I can re-find that company, and if so, post it here at some point.

This info here is not from browser history, but I did a search again, and included Australia this time, and came up with this company. It was one of two, I think, that I had found before, and I am not sure if it is specifically for diesel only, or if they have a version (which might be this one) that is for gasoline/petrol. I have not contacted the company, but based on the site/item page, it looks like this one (DRAM16R1) can be put in place and not require removing/relocating the spare tire.

Edit #2: The Brown Davis petrol tank on the wolf4x4.com.au site (as of Sep 5, 2022) is $1,800 (again, in their dollars).

I also found another site today while searching and this might be an easier route for those of us in the United States. It appears they took the same idea, and just made a source in the US for Aussie tanks.

Edit: as a note underneath that last link, they do not have any tanks available for the specific style truck listed (RAM DS 1500 classic 2009-2021).

Sorry for the specific to my truck style links, but it was easier to just post them like this. If you want other information from them, I am sure you can follow their links to what you want specifically.

Last edited:

Wulf

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Update on further research. It appears there is an even bigger capacity (202l) "petrol" tank out there, and it apparently means what we call gasoline here in the US. Because this last site specifically says not yet tested on diesel.

Using that same web calculator, 202l works out to 53.36292 gal.

For reference, 1 gal = 3.7854 litres, so 1 liter is just under a (US) quart.

The down side is it appears to sit a little lower, and actually sticks out a little underneath where the stock tank would sit.