545rfe troubles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HemiHavoc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Truck is a 2011 5.7 hemi

So my transmission seems to be going downhill fast. A year and a half ago I got a remanufactured transmission from Street Smart Transmissions and helped my mechanic install it. It has been ok thus far, but as of a couple weeks ago it started having issues. With his snap-on scanner, we checked line pressures and in 4th it would spike to 190+psi while desired was 140ish. Now tonight it looks like I lost 3rd. Does this seem to indicate a transmission problem, solenoid problem, or maybe something else?

I will also add that the transmission when shifted manually would be in 1st when 1st was selected, 2nd in 2nd, 2 prime in 3rd, 3rd in 4th, 4th in 5th. Does this sound correct for how the 545rfe is set-up?

I will be working with Street Smart to get this figured out as well (free replacement if it's their problem), but I wanted to get some opinions here first. Going 45-50 at 3k rpm is starting to suck.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That sounds like a solenoid pack or valve body problem. Did they upgrade anything in the valve body when it was rebuilt?

Yes that shift pattern sounds right. They didn't open up all 6 gears in manual mode until 2012 with the introduction of the 65RFE...

OP
OP
H

HemiHavoc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
watch the video's at the bottom of this thread..

Doesn't really matter if it's solenoid or valve body, since you need to take the VB out anyhow. Just time to upgrade them both. The valve bodies really need upgrading, that will make the tranny last longer. Just spend a lil more for the gm solenoid upgrade, likely end any tranny worries, but if by chance the tranny fails as some point, this will be two things you wont have to upgrade again.

https://www.ramforum.com/threads/1st-and-4th-only.152056/

OP
OP
H

HemiHavoc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
watch the video's at the bottom of this thread..

Doesn't really matter if it's solenoid or valve body, since you need to take the VB out anyhow. Just time to upgrade them both. The valve bodies really need upgrading, that will make the tranny last longer. Just spend a lil more for the gm solenoid upgrade, likely end any tranny worries, but if by chance the tranny fails as some point, this will be two things you wont have to upgrade again.

https://www.ramforum.com/threads/1st-and-4th-only.152056/

Watching those videos and doing some research has lead me to believe the same thing. The only issue I have would be a future warranty for the transmission, but I guess I could always keep the solenoid and valve body around to throw back in if I have issues. Would ATS be the recommendation for a valve body and solenoid?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I don't feel comfortable saying so because I have no first hand knowledge and there has been issues. The one I know with a rock solid rep is Sharadon, but they had an issue one point with cores. I do believe they will do a VB but you have to ship it and wait, unless you can get something cheap from junk yard. There is a guy on Facebook that dables in rfe stuff, but also has some killer connections if you want a friend request let me know. If it were me, I'd look at doing it myself if I couldn't find one with a good warranty. If you get a plate, and the pistons and springs are solid and last during warranty, it seams like it might be the best you can hope for. I'd look at drain pan as well, one can't stress the importance of clean fluid.

You need to research warranties, and if you find something good let the forum know. I don't like ats's warranty, one year IF you use an authorized dealer? like what is that. Their transmission warranty seams good, but I would look into it more. As bad as all the warranties are out there, I would probably at least try and do it the first time myself find the best kit with a plate. My worry with 545 would be if the mating surface to the plate is flat and perfect, if not you may need to get it machined, and then you have to remove all balls and keep exact spots you took them, then the entire thing gets complicated.

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

HemiHavoc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Codes from the other day.

1st run:
P0868 Line pressure low
P0734 Gear ratio error in 4th
P0735 Gear ratio error in 5th

2nd run:
P0869 Line pressure high
P0733 Gear ratio error in 3rd

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Codes from the other day.

1st run:
P0868 Line pressure low
P0735 Gear ratio error in 5th

2nd run:
P0869 Line pressure high
P0733 Gear ratio error in 3rd
That really looks like a classic bad solenoid pack....

OP
OP
H

HemiHavoc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Anyone have an extra solenoid pack laying around that I could try? I'd hate to throw $200 at it and not have it fix the problem

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Why not take your truck to a pro, and then it's on THEM to get it right.

I used to work on my own stuff. But by the time you figure your own hours, it's rarely worth it. I just put in a little more overtime at work. Then I pay someone who does it for a living. No sense guessing at this.

OP
OP
H

HemiHavoc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Why not take your truck to a pro, and then it's on THEM to get it right.

I used to work on my own stuff. But by the time you figure your own hours, it's rarely worth it. I just put in a little more overtime at work. Then I pay someone who does it for a living. No sense guessing at this.

It all depends on where you stand. I can't afford to give somebody $1000 to figure it out, and my OT at work still doesn't touch the $100/hr that a shop wants. Plus I enjoy wrenching on my own truck, and the satisfaction of knowing I fixed it when all is said and done. I admit I don't know much about transmissions, but I'm always willing to learn.

OP
OP
H

HemiHavoc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So this is my finding so far. I'm really hoping it is the only issue, and that it didn't cause any harm to the rest of the transmission. Cheap Chinese filters!!!

1117191634a.jpg

DodgeDude99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Watching those videos and doing some research has lead me to believe the same thing. The only issue I have would be a future warranty for the transmission, but I guess I could always keep the solenoid and valve body around to throw back in if I have issues. Would ATS be the recommendation for a valve body and solenoid?

ATS?
No
https://randys-transmissions.com/

https://revmaxconverters.com/

https://nextgendiesel.com/

A relearn with a scan tool needs to be done when replacing a VB & should be done with the pack as well.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Makes me wish I left the oem on.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I bought this one off amazon, I hope it doesn't do this. It says Mopar..

Mopar 5013470AC Oil Filter and 05179267AC Filterpkg-Transmission Oil Bundle

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That's definitely not a Mopar filter. Here's a pic of the top of a Mopar filter, says "made in USA" at the top of pic....78a0e6cbf4e5c4f93e7ce579360a6cea.jpg

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
When I put the metal threads on I will look. When I did my pan drop I hadn't received the metal threads from Kyle yet.