5th Gen halogen to OEM LED taillights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

71_340

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7L Hemi eTorque
I have a 2021 Ram 1500 (DT, 5th gen) Bighorn which has the standard halogen taillights. I want to upgrade to the OEM LED taillights without the BSM. My question is will this be a plug & play switch and will there be any error messages?
I seen some YouTube videos which say it will just be P&P, no programming required. Then you see on infotainment.com that they sell a complete package where you need a harness adapter and a Genie programmer.

I would like to hear from some that actually did the swap and can give me some firsthand information.

OP
OP
71_340

71_340

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7L Hemi eTorque
I answer my own question, might be helpful for somebody else.

I did buy a set of OEM knock-off LED taillights (made in China). I bought US stock and got the lights within 3 days. Installation took maybe 20 minutes; they are P&P with no programing needed. The lights themselves appear to be very good quality and fit like a glove, no uneven gaps, etc. I would definitely buy them again.

Here is what I bought: https://www.ebay.com/itm/403937977844

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
There is one thing that needs to be programmed to make them work like intended on a factory equipped LED tail light truck- separated lighting brake lamp dropout.
On the halogen tail lights the brake lamps and turn lamps are in separate locations, and when the brakes and turn signal are applied at the same time, the brake lamps stay lit while the turn lamp is blinking.

On the LED tails, the brake lamps and turn lamps are in the same location on the same LED boards. The factory equipped LED programming is so that when you apply the brakes and turn signal at the same time, the turn signal blinks “amber-off-amber-off…”.
Since you didn’t change the brake lamp dropout programming, your new installed LED tail’s turn signals will blink “amber-red-amber-red…” when using the turn signal with the brakes applied.