6.4 charger engine/trans Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bart796

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I see a bunch of threads about swapping the 6.4 truck engine or just the 6.4 engine only but my question is how difficult of a task would it be to buy one of Cleveland Power and Performances turn key pallets and install it in my 2004 single cab ram 1500 5.7. This is not my main vehicle so time frame is no issue and i'm assuming fab work for motor mounts and trans etc. Under 8k for a low mileage 6.4 with trans and fuel tank and steering wheel pedals shifter etc. Main harness and engine controllers etc. In my head this sounds completely doable but i searched google and the forum and did not see anyone thats done this unless im blind so maybe its not as easy as i am leading myself to believe?

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
It's definitely not as easy as you are leading yourself to believe. Most of CPAP's 6.4 pallets are from 2015 cars, which means they are 4th generation CAN bus (05-07, 08-10, 11-14, 15+). CAN wasn't available in the trucks til 06. It took til 2009 for the CAN to be able to run VVT. The control system won't work inside your truck's PCI bus electrical/electronic framework. The physical engine itself is a bolt in, all 3G-4G hemis are for the most part externally identical, at least when it comes to dimensions and attachment points. The accessory drive is also very different. In fact the accessory drive is even different between the newer cars and trucks; you would have to customize and reroute wiring and A/C hoses. You'd either have to lock the VVT and swap the crank tone wheel to a 32T or go with a standalone controller (like Holley) which has been proven to work inside PCI framework and should be able to run a VVT engine. There is currently a 2004 using it to power a 6.1 (non-VVT) based stroker with an 8HP70. You can't use the car's paddles or wiring for the trans. You'd have to get the SG harness to control it and you'd have to pick what e-shifter you're gonna use.....here's another fun part. 3rd gen Rams don't have console auto shift. Your choices are console t-handle or newer Ram/300 style dial; either way you'd have to figure out where to put it.
It would be easier/cheaper to find a 6.1 or stroke your 5.7. It would bolt right in and only require custom tuning to run and maybe some replacement transmissions down the road (or could swap the ZF trans).

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Turn key pallet should be throttle pedal, computer, full wiring harness. It won’t integrate into your dash but maybe see if they offer some sort of display for it or how to wire one up. Your computer will still do the speedometer but it won’t be happy without the tach most likely. This is purely speculation though. Unless you feel like rewiring the window motors and headlights all onto switches and figuring out the door lock situation.

OP
OP
B

bart796

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The turn key pallets come with full wiring harness, gauge cluster, shifter, steering wheel, pedals etc. I would think nothing would be left to communicate with on the truck. I would not need anything factory to communicate as i would be dropping in everything from the turn key which would be engine, transmission, steering wheel, radio, electronic shifter (probably mount right to the floor below the cup holder in the blank area) gauge cluster. I dont know if im going to go that route but just wanted to ask how difficult iut would be. I just need some clarification of why the CANbus thing matters if im dropping in basically the entire harness and everything including the radio. Can you clarify? Below is the exact listing for a 6.4 pallet they currently have.

THIS TURNKEY PALLET WILL INCLUDE THE FOLLOWING:

6.4L ENGINE
8HP70 8 SPEED AUTO TRANSMISSION
BELT DRIVEN ENGINE ACCESSORIES
ENGINE HARNESS
ENGINE COMPUTER
UNDER HOOD FUSE BOX
TRUNK MOUNTED FUSEBOX
ANTI-LOCK BRAKE UNIT
SPEEDOMETER
PEDAL ASSEMBLY
FUEL TANK WITH FUEL PUMPS
SHIFTER
STEERING COLUMN
PUSH BUTTON IGNITION WITH KEY FOB
DASH HARNESS
BODY HARNESS WITH BATTERY CABLES
CATALYTIC CONVERTERS W/ 02 SENSORS​

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
The turn key pallets come with full wiring harness, gauge cluster, shifter, steering wheel, pedals etc. I would think nothing would be left to communicate with on the truck. I would not need anything factory to communicate as i would be dropping in everything from the turn key which would be engine, transmission, steering wheel, radio, electronic shifter (probably mount right to the floor below the cup holder in the blank area) gauge cluster. I dont know if im going to go that route but just wanted to ask how difficult iut would be. I just need some clarification of why the CANbus thing matters if im dropping in basically the entire harness and everything including the radio. Can you clarify? Below is the exact listing for a 6.4 pallet they currently have.

THIS TURNKEY PALLET WILL INCLUDE THE FOLLOWING:

6.4L ENGINE​

8HP70 8 SPEED AUTO TRANSMISSION​

BELT DRIVEN ENGINE ACCESSORIES​

ENGINE HARNESS​

ENGINE COMPUTER​

UNDER HOOD FUSE BOX​

TRUNK MOUNTED FUSEBOX​

ANTI-LOCK BRAKE UNIT​

SPEEDOMETER​

PEDAL ASSEMBLY​

FUEL TANK WITH FUEL PUMPS​

SHIFTER​

STEERING COLUMN​

PUSH BUTTON IGNITION WITH KEY FOB​

DASH HARNESS​

BODY HARNESS WITH BATTERY CABLES​

CATALYTIC CONVERTERS W/ 02 SENSORS​

So how much of that entire list from a car do you ACTUALLY think you'll be able to use in the truck lol?
6.4L ENGINE - will bolt to your cradle
8HP70 8 SPEED AUTO TRANSMISSION - bolts to engine, will require custom work to mount properly (angle is important here)
BELT DRIVEN ENGINE ACCESSORIES - radically different than your existing ones, you will need to reroute hoses and wiring, also does not come with PS Pump
ENGINE HARNESS - will not interface with existing body harness
ENGINE COMPUTER
UNDER HOOD FUSE BOX - will not interface with existing body & dash harness, may not fit properly
TRUNK MOUNTED FUSEBOX - maybe you can put it in the bed LMAO
ANTI-LOCK BRAKE UNIT - may or may not integrate with the existing brake lines
SPEEDOMETER - is not separate, its an entire cluster that you need the ENTIRE dash harness to interface with anything right
PEDAL ASSEMBLY - as they didn't change much over the years, should bolt right in place of your existing one
FUEL TANK WITH FUEL PUMPS - sure lol (no not really, I'm just envisioning you trying to turn it sideways and wire in both pumps lol)
SHIFTER - custom spot that doesn't currently exist
STEERING COLUMN - doesn't bolt into a Ram nor is it long enough
PUSH BUTTON IGNITION WITH KEY FOB - which won't interface with the existing dash harness
DASH HARNESS - won't properly interface with the body harness and peripherals
BODY HARNESS WITH BATTERY CABLES - a whole car body harness......for a truck lol. Gonna relocate the battery to the bed....?
CATALYTIC CONVERTERS W/ 02 SENSORS - won't fit your chassis (neither will the stock manifolds)

If you were to grab an entire spare wrecked 2009-18 truck, then you could drop this engine right in. Hell, even in an 06-08 it could be made to work.

The attitude you're displaying is a prime example of the way people don't understand how vehicles since the early 00's are integrated systems and if you want **** to work correctly (if at all) and not be just another failed project or non-starter, you have to think about the system as a whole and not how you can throw specific things in or at it. Those whole pallets are designed so that you can retrofit an old car. Drop a 392 into an old Dart, etc. It's actually easier to do because there is no existing framework in which to deal with. This is why your search didn't turn up anything. I have both ends of this spectrum across multiple vehicles, and I can say with certainty 1) the way you want to do this won't work and 2) if you are actually asking these questions in an interwebs forum then you most likely don't have the skillset to attempt it.

THIS is how you put a VVT hemi in a PCI bus truck: https://www.holley.com/blog/post/wh...t_is_the_perfect_gen_iii_hemi_swap_candidate/
Hint: uses very LITTLE of your entire crate lol