6.4 HD Oil Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wingnutt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just traded my '07 Silverado 2500 with a Duramax in on my '17 Ram 2500 6.4 and have a question about using the extra oil that I have. It's Mobil Delvac 1300 Super 15W-40 with an API CK4 rating. Will it be OK to run this oil in the 6.4s? I know that you can use oil designed for diesels in gas engines provided that it meets or exceeds API SN ratings BUT the SRT 6.4s are VERY picky about what oil you use, but what about the 6.4s designed for truck use?

The following is directly from Mobil's web site:
"Accordingly, this oil also meets or exceeds the requirements of API CK-4, CJ-4, CI-4 PLUS, CI-4 and CH-4 service categories, as well as key OEM requirements. Mobil Delvac 1300 Super 15W-40 engine oil is universal, meaning it may also be used in gasoline engines requiring the API SN specification.
Mobil Delvac 1300 Super 15W-40 diesel engine oil is recommended by Exxon Mobil for use in:
High-performance gasoline engines requiring API SN specification."

So it seems to me that it is safe to use, but I would like to hear from somebody with more knowledge than me before I do anything.

I would really like to use this oil seeing as how I have almost 2 cases left over from my Silverado days.

cms1528

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Why would you want to run that in your engine? Sell it off and run what the manual calls for. Not worth the risk.

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I would not run that oil in the 6.4. These hemi engines are picky about the oil put in them. It is recommended to use 0w40 but a lot of guys including myself will run different weights but not a 15w40. Redline 5w30 is very popular.
There is a lot of discussion on this forum about the best and worst oil to use in the hemi engines. I would suggest searching on here and you will see the massive thread on it.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Delvac is for diesels. Sell it or throw it out, don't put it in your 6.4.

I have been running Mobil1 Synthetic since my '17 6.4 was brand new and have had no issues in 90k miles.

As said above, there's a lot of discussion on what oils to run in the 6.4...but I think everyone would agree to NOT put diesel oil in your gasser.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
The new ck-4 is more like gas engine oil then ever before, there is no issue with running that oil in your truck. It is likely better for that engine then srt oil itself as in it wont shear like 0w40 PUP will. The only "possible" downside is running it int he cold, due to it's thickness and lower cold performance rating there is some possibility of cold piston slap. If the truck lives in Virginia, likely wont be an issue. The moly level is not impressive at 42ppm, srt oil is near 250ppm, if you so chose you can add some lubegard biotech 15 ounce and bring that moly level to something fca wants you to run. Except for moly level, this oil is serviceable for the 6.4 as long as you want to run it.

Here is a voa

OP
OP
W

Wingnutt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the detailed reply. I live in SE VA where the only time the temps get below 30 is on late Jan or early Feb, and then only for a short period. Also I'll have to check into obtaining some lubegard biotec. I need to contact the dealer that I purchased it from to see what they did when they "serviced" it too.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
No. What @Burla said, per usual.

Run a 5W-30 if your not not in hot climate pulling trailers up mountains. Good quality with moly like PUP (not sure if it has enough moly now, if not add Lube Gard), Amsoil (same), or Red Line.

If you are running extreme pulling / heat, use 5W-40 with same moly caveats. You shouldn't need a 0W-30 for winter like we do in the arctic regions.

Zoe Saldana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Delvac is for diesels. Sell it or throw it out, don't put it in your 6.4.

I have been running Mobil1 Synthetic since my '17 6.4 was brand new and have had no issues in 90k miles.

As said above, there's a lot of discussion on what oils to run in the 6.4...but I think everyone would agree to NOT put diesel oil in your gasser.

I don't think Mobil1 meet 12633 standards for the 6.4

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Delvac is intended for diesels. While it can be used in gasoline engines, it is not optional. Viscosities are higher for higher diesel loads. It is checked full of soot suspending additives, way more than gasoline engines need (even the sootier single injector GDI engines).

It is true the CK-4 rating additives are closer to gasoline SP additives than prior, but that does not mean it is ideal for gasoline engine longevity. ESPECIALLY Hemi engines, which are marginally lubricated.
I'm looking at changing oil pumps instead.

Ramisgood

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
The recommended oil for the 6.4 is Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0-40 wt. Many have complained of noise lifters but using the recommended oil, mine is very quiet. A friend used Mobil 1 in his and it was quite noisy until he changed to the recommended brand. I have over 90K miles on mine, about half pulling a 9K pound trailer without any issues. Use Mobil 1 in my other rigs.

Saw a writeup several yers ago on what is in the Pennzoil that's not in the others. I highly recommend using what the manufacturer wants in your case.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
The recommended oil for the 6.4 is Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0-40 wt. Many have complained of noise lifters but using the recommended oil, mine is very quiet. A friend used Mobil 1 in his and it was quite noisy until he changed to the recommended brand. I have over 90K miles on mine, about half pulling a 9K pound trailer without any issues. Use Mobil 1 in my other rigs.

Saw a writeup several yers ago on what is in the Pennzoil that's not in the others. I highly recommend using what the manufacturer wants in your case.
The 0W-40 is really a heavy 0W-30 that shears down the vii additive to a true 0W-30, or less

FCA only spec'd it because the 6.4 was in the cars 1st. There's nothing special about the 6.4 in a truck. It's not a race vehicle. Some guys take them racing, of course, but not the typical owners.
Racers change oil often. Typical truckers don't want to change oil every 500 miles to prevent shear down deposits in the engine.

MN-Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I’ve run either PUP or Amsoil Signature Synthetic since new. I did have an issue with stuck lifters at 44k miles, but nothing else. It is now at 133k. I do not feel it is worth the risk to save $30-40 on an oil change that might cost me an engine.

I traded in a 5.7 Hemi for my 6.4. I also had oil and a filter for the 5.7. I was kinda ticked that they weren’t the same. But after some reading on the 6.4 (mostly in the forum) I learned there are quite a few differences between the two engines.

I also do my changes at 5k intervals. Likely not needed, but it gives me a little peace of mind.

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I’ve run either PUP or Amsoil Signature Synthetic since new. I did have an issue with stuck lifters at 44k miles, but nothing else. It is now at 133k. I do not feel it is worth the risk to save $30-40 on an oil change that might cost me an engine.

I traded in a 5.7 Hemi for my 6.4. I also had oil and a filter for the 5.7. I was kinda ticked that they weren’t the same. But after some reading on the 6.4 (mostly in the forum) I learned there are quite a few differences between the two engines.

I also do my changes at 5k intervals. Likely not needed, but it gives me a little peace of mind.
Peace of mind is right. I don’t usually go past 5k intervals myself no matter the brand of oil. For me and maybe it’s over kill but around the 5k mark I can tell a difference in the way the engine sounds and feels. So I dump the oil and fresh goes in. I’m eventually going to do an oil analysis but haven’t gotten around to it.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
The OP is asking if it is ok to run this oil in his gas engine, delvac says yes, what more info do we need?

FROM DELVAC

Mobil Delvac 1300 Super 15W-40 engine oil is universal, meaning it may also be used in gasoline engines...

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
The OP is asking if it is ok to run this oil in his gas engine, delvac says yes, what more info do we need?

FROM DELVAC

Mobil Delvac 1300 Super 15W-40 engine oil is universal, meaning it may also be used in gasoline engines...

I said it is not optimal.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I said it is not optimal.
yeah no kidding, it isnt even synthetic, I'm sure there are plenty of synthetics you can get in the price range of delvac. You are paying for a name, as we now know plenty if cheaper synthetics that will out perform blends, suck as kirkland, havoline, walmart super tech, etc. But to the op's question, there is no issue running it.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I just traded my '07 Silverado 2500 with a Duramax in on my '17 Ram 2500 6.4 and have a question about using the extra oil that I have. It's Mobil Delvac 1300 Super 15W-40 with an API CK4 rating. Will it be OK to run this oil in the 6.4s? I know that you can use oil designed for diesels in gas engines provided that it meets or exceeds API SN ratings BUT the SRT 6.4s are VERY picky about what oil you use, but what about the 6.4s designed for truck use?

The following is directly from Mobil's web site:
"Accordingly, this oil also meets or exceeds the requirements of API CK-4, CJ-4, CI-4 PLUS, CI-4 and CH-4 service categories, as well as key OEM requirements. Mobil Delvac 1300 Super 15W-40 engine oil is universal, meaning it may also be used in gasoline engines requiring the API SN specification.
Mobil Delvac 1300 Super 15W-40 diesel engine oil is recommended by Exxon Mobil for use in:
High-performance gasoline engines requiring API SN specification."

So it seems to me that it is safe to use, but I would like to hear from somebody with more knowledge than me before I do anything.

I would really like to use this oil seeing as how I have almost 2 cases left over from my Silverado days.
I think the 15w weight oil is not ideal to use due to the lifters used in the Hemi's but it is rated to use in gas engines and its semi synthetic so would watch the oil and if it gets dirty fast I would then shorten the OCI, the diesel cleaning additives may clean better then the oil that was used before you owned it..

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
You guys overcomplicate EVERYTHING.
To the OP just run that oil till you use it up. It's not going to cause any harm.
The only reason any vehicles use 0w anything is so they can squeeze out every last 1/100th of a mpg.

2020PW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Do we not have enough oil trends???

The purple people are gonna come and this will be a 30 page conversation on running every oil blend expect 0w40.

Last edited: