Help Support Ram Forum by donating:

6.4 oil change?

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty' started by dhay13, Sep 8, 2019.

1. dhay13

dhay13 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
    So my son got his oil changed today at a Jiffy Lube in North Dakota. Full synthetic Pennzoil was $130. Sounds high to me? Didn't have much of a choice as they were about the only ones open on Sundays out there. If it's gonna be that much I will probably change my own oil.

2. SouthTexan

SouthTexan Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    408 CTD
    Damn, that is about what it cost me to change the oil and fuel filters on my Cummins every 15k.

3. mtnrider

mtnrider Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    6.7 Cummins
    Yeah, about $50 to do it yourself. But some people can't or don't have the time to do it so that's how those places stay in business.

4. dhay13

dhay13 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    I always got mine changed at the dealer in my 1500's and it was only a few $$$ more than what it would cost me to do it myself so no brainer. But $70 labor for a 15 minute oil change? He is 'living' in a camper at a campground with no access to anywhere to work on it himself or he probably would do it. He has done his own on other vehicles in the past but for a few $$$ more it was easier to pay somebody else.

He will have to get it changed about every 2 months. He has had it about 5 weeks and has already put 6000 miles on it. He could probably go longer than 6000 but he towed his camper 1500 miles and figured with the harder usage it would be a good idea to change it early. His indicator said he had about 30% left.

Just priced it. Full synthetic at Auto Zone $10/quart and about $12 for a filter so about $75 all in. What kind of prices are you guys paying the shops?

5. mtofell

mtofell Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 6.4
    That price at a Quickie-Lube place sounds about right. The dealer is pretty close to that if you just buy one. I buy packs of 6 for my 6.4 at my dealer and it comes out to about $70 each and includes a tire rotation if I want it. I also can get recalls and updates done at the same time which is convenient.

For $70 I can barely buy the supplies and I'm trying to keep my warranty going so I really like having it done at the dealer. Some people really prefer to work on their own truck and I get it.

So, if you want to DIY, online is probably your best bet for supplies. If you want to have it done for you buy a pack from a dealer. Also, I'm pretty sure you can buy from any dealer in the nation and they are good at any dealer in the nation. They all offer various deals from time to time so don't be afraid to shop around.

McBroom and TXCOMT like this.
  6. dhay13

dhay13 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Problem for him is he can't get to a dealer when they are open. He works 6 days a week about 12-14 hours a day. Sunday is his only day off. And can't buy online cause he really has no mailing address. I guess he could probably order and pick up at the post office or maybe have it shipped to the campground. But I'm not sure they would even allow an oil change on their property. And once winter hits he won't be doing them himself anyway. Maybe if the weather is real bad in the winter they might have a 'snow day' where they don't work. They do have rain days if it rains real bad but he hasn't had one of those in about 6 months. He will probably have to keep doing the Jiffy Lube thing.

My local dealer used to have 3 packs for $40 but I quit going to them. They caused enough damage to our vehicles that would probably cover a lifetime of oil changes, literally. Last time I went to the local Chevy dealer to get mine changed. The few times before that I went to a different Dodge dealer that was about 30 minutes away.

There is a new Dodge dealer where my son is. They just built it but I'm sure they are closed on Sundays.

GsRAM likes this.
  7. AFMoulton

AFMoulton Senior Member Supporting Member Military

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    6.4 Hemi
    It’s costs me $80 for the oil and another $15 for my filter. So with whatever labor charge they have that sounds about right.

Sucks when you don’t have the time to do it yourself or the weather fights against you. Paying those prices I would be hovering over their shoulder making sure they do it right, that’s what I did when I couldn’t do it myself.

2018 2500 6.4 4x4 4.10 Amsoil SS 0w-40, Softopper
    Black Rhino Arsenal 18x9 +12mm
    Cooper St MAXX LT295/70R18

2016 Durango 5.7 AWD 3.07 Redline 5W-30 RP 10-48
    1996 Nissan Altima 2.4 Amsoil SS 5W-30

TXCOMT and GsRAM like this.
  8. Sandbox

Sandbox Senior Member Military

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    6.4 HEMI
    I always took my 6.4 to the dealer. The last four were bought as a package but, I think all of the ones I paid for individually were about $125 and they rotated my tires too.

9. GsRAM

GsRAM Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2017 Dodge Ram 2500
    Engine:
    Hemi, 6.4L
    I get my PUP from avondale dodge on Ebay. 7q with mopar filter for I think $75 shipped? Pretty good deal so that's what I've been doing. I can't get PUP anywhere locally

TXCOMT and AFMoulton like this.
  10. dhay13

dhay13 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Yeah the local Auto-Zone only has 0-W40 in Castrol. I hate Castrol. But Advanced Auto has it in a few different brands