6.4 owners

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cubscory

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Just curious of any issues any of you 6.4 owners, if any, are having?

Are you owners of the 6.4 happy with it to this point?

hemi1282

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram Tradesman
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Ya me to I think im'a trade my 5.7 mega cab in on 6.4 mega cab, my trucks been good to me finna hit 50k and no problems

nukeman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.4
I had a difficult time deciding between the 5.7 and 6.4. Besides the added power gains, what sold me on the 6.4 was the MDS and the fact it's designed to be a true truck motor. The 5.7 is basically swapped between the 300, grand Cherokee, 1500, etc. I love my 6.4 and no regrets. It gets 12 mpg in town, but i didnt buy it for that. The only issue I've had was a bad fan clutch from day one.
Power is noticeably better than the 5.7s I drove and mileage is close to same.
I strongly feel that a programmer/tuner will really wake the 6.4 up. It runs very strong from the factory, but my gut tells me it's been detuned.

FF in MN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey all,

I'm looking for any 6.4 owners that have or will be soon towing. Within the next 3-4 months I'll be getting a new rig and I'm trying to decide between the 6.4 Hemi or the 6.7 CTD (never owned a diesel, just gassers) in a 2500 CC Longhorn (MC too big for garage :mad:). Doing my due diligence now to avoid regrets later.

The MAIN use of the truck will be getting me to and from work. 3-4 times per week/40 mi round trip. City driving mostly (suburbia MN).

As a secondary use, we just recently bough a 29ft travel trailer (just under 10k lbs), and my '01 Silvy 1500 just isn't cutting it. We will probably be pulling the trailer 10-12 times per season, mostly within the state with 1 or 2 big trips out west.

So, looking to get info from 6.4 guys…or CTD guys on their thoughts/advice. Do I go with the Hemi or the Cummins? I know there is A LOT of information…and bias...out there, but I thought I would start here. Any help/info/advice you can send this way is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Cliff p

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Hey all,

I'm looking for any 6.4 owners that have or will be soon towing. Within the next 3-4 months I'll be getting a new rig and I'm trying to decide between the 6.4 Hemi or the 6.7 CTD (never owned a diesel, just gassers) in a 2500 CC Longhorn (MC too big for garage :mad:). Doing my due diligence now to avoid regrets later.

The MAIN use of the truck will be getting me to and from work. 3-4 times per week/40 mi round trip. City driving mostly (suburbia MN).

As a secondary use, we just recently bough a 29ft travel trailer (just under 10k lbs), and my '01 Silvy 1500 just isn't cutting it. We will probably be pulling the trailer 10-12 times per season, mostly within the state with 1 or 2 big trips out west.

So, looking to get info from 6.4 guys…or CTD guys on their thoughts/advice. Do I go with the Hemi or the Cummins? I know there is A LOT of information…and bias...out there, but I thought I would start here. Any help/info/advice you can send this way is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

IMO you should get the largest/most truck you can for your money, considering overall ownership cost. If fuel costs are of no concern to you, I'd go CTD.

KarL45

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Express quad cab 4x4
Engine
5.7 MDS
Hi. Reading a lot of questions about towing with 2014/ 15 2500 with 6.4 engine. Purchased one in Apr of 14. Wanted to tow 27' toy hauler, 13k. Everything on the lot, approx. 50, had the 3/73 gear. While the engine has amazing power, the transmission computer wont allow it to be used without excessive downshifting. This is something that you can't tell from a test drive unless you tow a bumper hitch type trailer. I elected to tow a 5th wheel so until the hitch was installed, had no idea. Right now I will say this, if the dealer has no 2500's with the 4.10 gears on the lot, order one. Don't care if your pulling much or not. The facts, with 3.73 gears, 6th gear, at 80 mph, your engine will tack at 1800 rpm. With the computer shift program, you will constantly be shifting just driving down the road with little grade or a slight wind. The advertised power band of the engine starts at 4000 rpm. At 3k, it will start to gain some power. Even using the "tow haul" mode, it is geared too high in my opinion. Maybe if you live and drive only at sea level, and don't tow at all, you will be happy with the 3.73. I finally went through Dodge and got a gear change. Went from 3.73 to 4.56. Cost approx. $4,000 but cheaper than trading or buying a diesel. Best money I ever spent. Now pulls like a truck. Fuel mileage is the same in town, about 2 less on hi way, and in hilly country the same or better. 400 plus miles over and back from Denver (Vail Pass) at 70 plus mph, averaged 15.5. Was also carrying the slider hitch and 250# generator, (700#). Love my truck. I can give more towing details with the std. gears if anyone is interested. Ps. have heard of those with the 6'7 Cummins with the 3.45 gears having the same towing, shifting problems that I experienced. Thanks

w6pea

U.S.Marine Corps Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500 "Laramie" 4x2 CC/LB SRW 6.7L CTD Leer 122 Campershell
Engine
6.7L IL6 Cummins Turbo Diesel
Hi. Reading a lot of questions about towing with 2014/ 15 2500 with 6.4 engine. Purchased one in Apr of 14. Wanted to tow 27' toy hauler, 13k. Everything on the lot, approx. 50, had the 3/73 gear. While the engine has amazing power, the transmission computer wont allow it to be used without excessive downshifting. This is something that you can't tell from a test drive unless you tow a bumper hitch type trailer. I elected to tow a 5th wheel so until the hitch was installed, had no idea. Right now I will say this, if the dealer has no 2500's with the 4.10 gears on the lot, order one. Don't care if your pulling much or not. The facts, with 3.73 gears, 6th gear, at 80 mph, your engine will tack at 1800 rpm. With the computer shift program, you will constantly be shifting just driving down the road with little grade or a slight wind. The advertised power band of the engine starts at 4000 rpm. At 3k, it will start to gain some power. Even using the "tow haul" mode, it is geared too high in my opinion. Maybe if you live and drive only at sea level, and don't tow at all, you will be happy with the 3.73. I finally went through Dodge and got a gear change. Went from 3.73 to 4.56. Cost approx. $4,000 but cheaper than trading or buying a diesel. Best money I ever spent. Now pulls like a truck. Fuel mileage is the same in town, about 2 less on hi way, and in hilly country the same or better. 400 plus miles over and back from Denver (Vail Pass) at 70 plus mph, averaged 15.5. Was also carrying the slider hitch and 250# generator, (700#). Love my truck. I can give more towing details with the std. gears if anyone is interested. Ps. have heard of those with the 6'7 Cummins with the 3.45 gears having the same towing, shifting problems that I experienced. Thanks

Thank You for the information. When I order my new Truck, I will order 4.10.....Thank You your post is very informative.

w6pea

U.S.Marine Corps Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey all,

I am in the same boat. I want a 6.7 CTD but am almost convinced to go 6.4 Hemi w 4.10 rear ends. My current Truck is 20 years old, F-250 XLT 7.5L Ford "460 cid" it has postcard rear 4.11

Thank you for any info or comments.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
The hemi like others have said needs to rev they don't make a lot of power down low but in the 3-4k range. For pulling 10k 10-20 times a year and unloaded the rest I would pick the 6.4. My reasons are this. The payload on the 6.4 is 750-800lbs higher than the cummins, the cummins is a $8000 option, the maintence is more the, the engine replacement parts are more expensive, they may get better fuel mileage but diesel is like 80 cents a gallon less were I am. I think the 6.4 with the 4.10(the only way I would buy one) will serve your purpose nicely and at a lot lower cost.

regularcab2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
My .02

The amount you need to tow and the fact your commute will be mostly city get the 6.4..im very impressed with the truck and i only have 3.73s but definitely get 4.10s and if you cant find them order it. Unless you got an extra 10 grand to **** away dont even consider the diesel imo it would not be worth it for you. Plus my truck doesnt rev that hard to produce power..and it moves faster than the powerstroke we have at work at lower rpms (i weight like 2500lbs less though) that might not be a good comparison but this is a gas truck that acts like a diesel basically.

I wanted a cummins since i was little..until i drove one of these and i'll never regret it

mowin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 hemi

Ive towed everything from my mowing rig to my 12k tt to a 12k excavator with my 3:73's, and have not experienced what you are talking about. But then again, I dont drive 80mph let alone tow at 80....

KarL45

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Express quad cab 4x4
Engine
5.7 MDS
Just a thought if you are considering buying a new Ram. Maybe wait till the late 2015 production is out. Hoping we may get surprised by Ram on what is standard gearing and maybe even engine and computer mods??? 2014 was the first year that Ram had this 6 speed trans and also the first year for the 6.4 hemi in the truck. As for the dealers, very few in the dealership, at least here in the Rockies, have pulled much and none with the new engine and such, hoping that Ram will listen to it's 2014 customers for what can be improved. Truly, I believe that tweeking both computers would make quite a difference. Not that I would like to have terrible milage, but on anything over 1500 series, milage isn't even calculated. Loosing 1 or 2 mpg and being able to pull as a truck should to me would be preferable.As it is, the computer wont allow anything over 1/2 throttle in any gear but first. The engine is very powerful if given a chance. ie, pulling in low where more than 1/2 throttle can be given, pulls quite good even at low rpms. With the 3.73 gear, pulling on steep grades, 8% and up, can be an experience. If you are lucky, or "unlucky" enough to get to about 50 mph (will easily go that fast in 1st without over revving) and somehow get into 3rd gear, "Watch Out"!!! If you over accell. , it will downshift and NOT into second. It will hit first at about 6k. Believe me when I tell you, it will spin the rear wheels when it hooks up and that is with 13 plus k behind it. Will make your blood run cold. It only did that once and that was with only about 6 k on the truck and not broken in. It pulled so hard that it snapped some of the front body panel screws on the 5'er. Since putting in the 4.56, I don't have to run the high rpm's or push the truck to pull. Was worth, to me, every dime. Did have a few discussions with Ram concerning that. I do know that they listened at least as far up the chain as I could get. I did appreciate that.

regularcab2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I can see why you need 4.56 but if you need that low of a gear in your truck you probably should have considered diesel.

With that said im glad im not the only one who feels that ratio is perfect and cant wait to get some 4.56s in my truck :naughty: :naughty: its perfect right? Lol

Last edited:

w6pea

U.S.Marine Corps Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
mowin & KarL45

Thank you for your input. I am looking but haven't pulled the trigger yet.
Want the CTD 6.7L but can't justify the extra bucks. So will probably go Hemi.
with Tow package 3:42 Rear maybe the 3:73 rear end 6rse trans.

regularcab2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
If youre getting a hemi your options are 3.73 and 4.10..they all come with class v bumper pull hitches standard and the tranny is the 66rfe (the diesel tranny is the 68rfe)

kry226

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Just a thought if you are considering buying a new Ram. Maybe wait till the late 2015 production is out. Hoping we may get surprised by Ram on what is standard gearing and maybe even engine and computer mods??? 2014 was the first year that Ram had this 6 speed trans and also the first year for the 6.4 hemi in the truck. As for the dealers, very few in the dealership, at least here in the Rockies, have pulled much and none with the new engine and such, hoping that Ram will listen to it's 2014 customers for what can be improved. Truly, I believe that tweeking both computers would make quite a difference. Not that I would like to have terrible milage, but on anything over 1500 series, milage isn't even calculated. Loosing 1 or 2 mpg and being able to pull as a truck should to me would be preferable.As it is, the computer wont allow anything over 1/2 throttle in any gear but first. The engine is very powerful if given a chance. ie, pulling in low where more than 1/2 throttle can be given, pulls quite good even at low rpms. With the 3.73 gear, pulling on steep grades, 8% and up, can be an experience. If you are lucky, or "unlucky" enough to get to about 50 mph (will easily go that fast in 1st without over revving) and somehow get into 3rd gear, "Watch Out"!!! If you over accell. , it will downshift and NOT into second. It will hit first at about 6k. Believe me when I tell you, it will spin the rear wheels when it hooks up and that is with 13 plus k behind it. Will make your blood run cold. It only did that once and that was with only about 6 k on the truck and not broken in. It pulled so hard that it snapped some of the front body panel screws on the 5'er. Since putting in the 4.56, I don't have to run the high rpm's or push the truck to pull. Was worth, to me, every dime. Did have a few discussions with Ram concerning that. I do know that they listened at least as far up the chain as I could get. I did appreciate that.

So you said you "went through Ram" for the 4.56 gears. Do tell. How did that work? You got the 4500/5500 gears?

regularcab2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
^^^^^45/5500s come with 4.10, 4.44 or 4.88 as options and also have an 11.8" rear end vs our 11.5". Thats all i can help you with ^^^^^

I wanna know more about this too though...you should post up an info thread about what you went through to help out others with the same desire [emoji7]

Last edited:

Jerry1984

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
$4000 for gears is insane!! But if it keeps your warranty going through the dealer then you got to do what you got to do. I had the gears changed on my 06 f150 4wd for about $1100 for Yukon gears installed.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Over the last decade I've towed a few different TTs and 5th wheels with a Duramax/diesel and now tow an 8500# tt with the 6.4 Hemi. Here's the cliff notes of my thoughts based on my experience and reading forums for untold hours:

The 6.4 is great as a DD and towing up to about 10K
10K+ should be diesel land - not that the Hemi can't do it, it's just better with a diesel
3.73 vs 4.10 gearing is overblown. Both trucks have a bit of an annoying gap between 1st & 2nd gear. Less noticeable with the 4.10. Even less (or non-existent) with the diesel
The diesel option really costs about $5-6K. The 8K that is always talked about is MSRP and we should be paying about 75-80% of that.
MPG with the HEMI are about the same as I was getting with my Duramax. Winter fuel and stop/go driving KILL the mpgs on the Hemi.
Diesels are very complex these days and the old "it's good for 400K miles" is dead IMO. The drivetrain well may be good for that many miles but I surely don't want to own one at 250K when REALLY expensive electronics start going bad. To be fair I don't want to own my gasser at that as it's plenty hi-tech (gassers are eligible for the Lifetime warranty though - paid $2200 with a $100 deductible).

My summary is the 6.4 is a game changer for mpg, payload and overall ability. Once you get up near and north of 10K a diesel should be considered. It ultimately comes down to how much and how often you tow.

hammer40

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I have the 6.4 with 4.10's and like the combo. I also feel like the truck would downshift too often on the freeway with 3.73's.

I'm also waiting on the tuner guys to pay some attention to these 6.4 motors. I think there is a lot more untapped potential.