6.4 Speedometer Calibration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FlatbedHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I bought a Hypertech speedometer calibration unit off eBay that turned out to be VIN locked. I got a refund but was searching for other units and noticed that Rough Country has a unit that is cheaper than the Hypertech. It got me to wondering if there were any other units that work on the 6.4. Anyone have any luck with other units besides the Hypertech for the diesels?

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
Alphaobd ($50)
Obdlink mx/+ (~$80)
If you don't have a android device or windows device
Amazon Kindle fire 7 ($50)
If you have a 2018 you'll need a bypass harness from @M2Mods ($50)
So for (if you have a 2018) ~$230 you can change your speedo and more. ~$180 for 2013-2017

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

4x4x4door

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
You could also rent the the AutoEnginuity software WITH the security bypass cable for far less than any other option. Shoot me a PM for details.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
FlatbedHemi

FlatbedHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well, I went with the AlphaOBD route, and so far I have only changed the tire size. But, I have it at my disposal for other changes as I find time.

I chalked my tire and measured one full rotation. Then I calculated what it would be in millimeters and entered it into the AlphaOBD system, then took it for spin and checked it with GPS. It is within a half mph, which could just be the delay of my gps, so I figured that was close enough. After having only put 20 miles on it I can already tell a difference. Shifts are smoother and it seems to hold six gear a lot easier. I don’t know what the difference is but it doesn’t seem to be confused anymore. I am also showing on the EVIC that my mileage has gone from 12 1/2 up to about 15 1/2, even though this was really only a short trip. It will be interesting to see what my fuel mileage does on the EVIC over the next couple of weeks. For the record, I have always useD EVIC to get an idea of what my fuel mileage is, so none of my numbers are ever hand calculated.

allenmp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Well, I went with the AlphaOBD route, and so far I have only changed the tire size. But, I have it at my disposal for other changes as I find time.

I chalked my tire and measured one full rotation. Then I calculated what it would be in millimeters and entered it into the AlphaOBD system, then took it for spin and checked it with GPS. It is within a half mph, which could just be the delay of my gps, so I figured that was close enough. After having only put 20 miles on it I can already tell a difference. Shifts are smoother and it seems to hold six gear a lot easier. I don’t know what the difference is but it doesn’t seem to be confused anymore. I am also showing on the EVIC that my mileage has gone from 12 1/2 up to about 15 1/2, even though this was really only a short trip. It will be interesting to see what my fuel mileage does on the EVIC over the next couple of weeks. For the record, I have always useD EVIC to get an idea of what my fuel mileage is, so none of my numbers are ever hand calculated.

I just got my alphaobd a week ago the thing is awesome I changed my tire size in it yesterday
My wife riding with me we have 35 inch tire and over corrected and she had it fixed before i went into a store and back out i input 2720mm and coordinated it with gps and now it's dead on so far i have made these changes
Got my mirror puddle lamps and turn signals working
Lowered tpms threshold (biggest reason for purchase)
Set tire size for speedo calibration
Worth every penny just getting my mirror lights working it paid for itself

OP
OP
FlatbedHemi

FlatbedHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What did you do with the turn signals and puddle lights? I bought it primarily for the tire size and tpms, so I am trying to figure out what else I can do with it without buying more parts.

Iron Outlaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Is this alpha obd something new? I can't believe I havent heard of it. Can I just download it off the android market place?

OP
OP
FlatbedHemi

FlatbedHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Is this alpha obd something new? I can't believe I havent heard of it. Can I just download it off the android market place?

Dont know how new it is, but I ordered it from Google Play, just like any other app. You have to have the OBD device for it to communicate though. I went with the Bluetooth OBDLink.

allenmp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
What did you do with the turn signals and puddle lights? I bought it primarily for the tire size and tpms, so I am trying to figure out what else I can do with it without buying more parts.

My truck came with sport mirrors and i installed tow mirrors after i bought the truck
The tow mirrors i bought had puddle lamps and turn signals in the mirror but they didn't work and a dealer wanted $100 per function to activate them
I got them working with the alphaobd

allenmp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi

Yup only in the android Google play store i got it and the Obdlink MX+ i believe it was
It paid for itself first hour i had it
There are a lot of posts and YouTube instructions for what it will do
Handy little gadget and works flawlessly
It's ****** awesome not looking at that yellow tire light lol

OP
OP
FlatbedHemi

FlatbedHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My truck came with sport mirrors and i installed tow mirrors after i bought the truck
The tow mirrors i bought had puddle lamps and turn signals in the mirror but they didn't work and a dealer wanted $100 per function to activate them
I got them working with the alphaobd

Oh, ok. Mine came with tow mirrors.

JoshR104

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
There is a whole thread on it massive thread at that.

https://www.ramforum.com/threads/alfaobd.123982/

Lots of good info in there.

So far I have done...

Lowered TPMS threshold to 45 all around (Will require your 4 digit security code but can get it from the dealer)
Updated tire size to correct the speedometer
Enabled DRL on my factory projectors
Window down express feature (Hit unlock once then again and hold it will lower from windows with key fob)
Enabled HID headlights (Got rid of my harness and the annoying light out warning)
Set fogs to LED (Got rid of the resistors from morimoto)
Set Fogs to be enabled with Highbeams so they stay on as well

Few other things as well but can't recall but read over that post lots of good stuff in there.

OP
OP
FlatbedHemi

FlatbedHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There is a whole thread on it massive thread at that.

https://www.ramforum.com/threads/alfaobd.123982/

Lots of good info in there.

So far I have done...

Lowered TPMS threshold to 45 all around (Will require your 4 digit security code but can get it from the dealer)
Updated tire size to correct the speedometer
Enabled DRL on my factory projectors
Window down express feature (Hit unlock once then again and hold it will lower from windows with key fob)
Enabled HID headlights (Got rid of my harness and the annoying light out warning)
Set fogs to LED (Got rid of the resistors from morimoto)
Set Fogs to be enabled with Highbeams so they stay on as well

Few other things as well but can't recall but read over that post lots of good stuff in there.

Well, I have read through that thread several times. Most of what I can do either my truck already does it, or it requires parts. I dont have fog lights, and the LEDs on my flatbed already pull enough juice to keep from getting a "bulb out" warning. Everything else requires new parts. I was hoping that I could do more stuff by unlocking what I already had installed, but I guess that doesnt make much sense to install an option and not turn it on. Im ok with just being able to set my tire size for now. I havent even changed my pressure thresholds yet. I plan on adding the 8.4 radio and upgrading my cluster eventually, but Im gonna wait until its paid off before I start putting money into it.