6.4L 180° Tstat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WY.Ram

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I would like my truck to run a little cooler, in an attempt to change-out my original t-stat, I have learned the 6.4L has a t-Stat that is molded into the housing, and comes with a $250 price tag, crazy but whatever. The BAD newS is only the stock temp is available. At least that was All I could find.
Does anyone have a manufacture, a link or any lead on how I can implement a 180 F t-stat?
Thank you

2016 PW, 6.4L

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

ripping r

Old&Grumpy
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I have no idea. but i want one to. I have found them for 6.4 in cars but not the truck.

OP
OP
WY.Ram

WY.Ram

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Dude, if You find one I'm buying the beer. I've been shot down by enough others on this that I'm controlling myself and have not purchased beer Yet.

Let me know what they say, please and Thank You!!

ripping r

Old&Grumpy
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Ill report back once i here from them. i did not go look at my tstat housing but i think it is not a one piece set up.

ripping r

Old&Grumpy
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Unless FCA changed the water neck for truck 6.4L's the following T-Stat fits the 5.7 and 6.4. I'm running one in the 6.4L in my '17 Challenger currently without any issues. The swap is pretty much the same procedure as any other modern Hemi.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/stant,48798,thermostat,2200
I do not know if they did. But finding a 180 tstat for the truck is hard . the one from fast hemis is the only i found that says it fits. Im new to the hemi and still learning. I new my 5.9 Cummins inside and out.

OP
OP
WY.Ram

WY.Ram

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
This is all interesting because I called two local part stores and the both told me the Thermostat was one-piece unit, only available in the factory temp and one shop quoted $160 and the other $240. You can imagine my response when I started the hunt and thought I was going to land a $20 vehicle thermostat at 180F.

I guess I read something also that convinced that weren't hitn too much of the rec smoke, but I think I'll go pull my t_stat this evening and see what I find.

If the parts stores are right and it is a onesy, I came across a vette forum where the one-piece issue was handed to them in 2003 and there is a modification that was possible where they could control the opening temp to every 20F by placing a spacer in the t_stat. I will share more later on that if needed.

I hope you guys are right. I'm doing this mod even if I have to drill a couple bypass holes in the tstat, I really hope not tho, I'd much rather throw a little money at it and get a part that fits.

ripping r

Old&Grumpy
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
If you do pull it than we will know for sure ..i went and look at mine and it looks like the pics i found on Google. Which from the pics its a one piece all aluminum. Not metal like the 5.7.

OP
OP
WY.Ram

WY.Ram

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Aight, a picture of my t_stat and housing, 2016 6.4L 2500 PW

If we can find a manufacture who produces the two spring actuator setup, even if it were a different application but was a two spring set up at 180F, then I think maybe we could just swap the springs. The unit does come apart right at the blue pointer, in second picture.

I'm cyber shopping for a similar configuration thermostat, when I find one online I am going to call local parts store and see If one is in stock, maybe I can try a spring swap today.

There are several OE replacements on Ebay, all sold as one piece, used and new. Their price listed iswell below the cost I was quoted locally.

I ok with someone telling me I'm wrong and sending us an easier solution. The links that are posted in this thread are much appreciated but I don't think either will work. I'm going off the fact that there looks to be only one spring on either unit. 3dff747b2912bda33ce3c8e71591a818.jpg
dbd125ea5e31afd9ac33a219a66fe25d.jpg

ripping r

Old&Grumpy
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I don't see any way a regular thermostat will fit . I wonder if it could be machined to take one for a 5 7. Such a simple thing and FCA had to go in complicated .

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That thermostat looks beefier than whats in the 1500's and cars. If you can remove and replace the springs, you may want to see if you can find specs on the springs for your stock one, the stock 1500, and a 180 thermo for the 1500. If you can't find specs, you could always take them yourself, which would be more complicated obviously. There are websites where you can have custom springs made to your specs. Years ago, I bought springs to upgrade a Nerf gun. It would leave welts. :D

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

If we can find a manufacture who produces the two spring actuator setup, even if it were a different application but was a two spring set up at 180F, then I think maybe we could just swap the springs. The unit does come apart right at the blue pointer, in second picture.

I'm cyber shopping for a similar configuration thermostat, when I find one online I am going to call local parts store and see If one is in stock, maybe I can try a spring swap today.

There are several OE replacements on Ebay, all sold as one piece, used and new. Their price listed iswell below the cost I was quoted locally.

I ok with someone telling me I'm wrong and sending us an easier solution. The links that are posted in this thread are much appreciated but I don't think either will work. I'm going off the fact that there looks to be only one spring on either unit. 3dff747b2912bda33ce3c8e71591a818.jpg

Have you checked to see if you could swap the 1500's thermostat housing on.The bolt spread looks close,and you might be able to just swap the housings.

OP
OP
WY.Ram

WY.Ram

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Have you checked to see if you could swap the 1500's thermostat housing on.The bolt spread looks close,and you might be able to just swap the housings.
Nope, I sure haven't. A few other bolt patterns match, if the stat housing matched, that would be bada$$.
I'm headed in to see if I can get some springs or a couple full t_stats that I can scavenge a spring from. The first thing I will do is check the 1500 bolt pattern. Thank You

ripping r

Old&Grumpy
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI

This is a great idea! I just hope it will work.

ripping r

Old&Grumpy
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Nope, I sure haven't. A few other bolt patterns match, if the stat housing matched, that would be bada$$.
I'm headed in to see if I can get some springs or a couple full t_stats that I can scavenge a spring from. The first thing I will do is check the 1500 bolt pattern. Thank You

I hope this will work. It will make a lot of us happy .

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
I looked into this in years past and dropped the idea. The SRT guys who did it had problems causing the fuel to run rich and throw codes. Seems there is a narrow window by design above 180 degrees these engines are expected to operate at and the old school trick of throwing in a cooler thermostat alone without tuning is a money wasted.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I looked into this in years past and dropped the idea. The SRT guys who did it had problems causing the fuel to run rich and throw codes. Seems there is a narrow window by design above 180 degrees these engines are expected to operate at and the old school trick of throwing in a cooler thermostat alone without tuning is a money wasted.

I run a 180 T-stat in my wifes bone stock untuned 2016 R/T Challenger with no issues. My buddy runs a 170 in his 6.4 untuned Scatpack with no issues. They go into closed loop mode at 160F,a 180 T-stat is well past that point. That's a myth that originated a few years ago,and now there's guys who've never tried a 180 T-stat in an untuned truck,but sure believe in the myth,and it's made them scared to try a 180 T-stat,lol

Last edited: