6.7 Excessive Black Smoke, Lots of Codes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raaammmathorn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So a friend of mine has an 09 6.7L and brought it to me with complaints of excessive black smoke even when just lightly on the throttle, hard starting, and after test driving it, seemed like a little performance loss as well. I scanned the codes and came up with:
P0471 exhaust back pressure sensor
P242f, p1451: both DPF codes
p245c egr cooler bypass circuit low
p2141 egr airflow control circuit low
p0487 egr airflow throttle control circuit A low

I found a leak on the intake, repaired it, I also replaced the Exhaust back pressure sensor and was able to eliminate the p0471 code and have a little less hard starting and better idle but still tons of black smoke and less than optimal performance.

EGR and DPF have both been deleted on the truck and apparently have been for a while without previous issues. truck also has an edge tuner, 5” exhaust, and an AFE intake.

Should I jump to possible injector(s) issue and have them tested or before I dive into A 3/4 hour job+$240 in testing or is there something else I should be looking for as well?

OP
OP
Raaammmathorn

Raaammmathorn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Also the edge tuner it has on it I believe is set to the stock setting but has a 30psi+ alert which seems to be set off every time I hit 2000/2500rpms. Overboost issue possible?

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
Has it been to the dealer recently? Some of it points to the tune being written over.

Not to point you away from ram forum but you may have better luck over on cumminsforum if you haven't already tried

2018 2500 6.4L Hemi Tradesman

Fuel35 67

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Edge does not do delete tuning.

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins

The old "race" version did. It sounds like it was running fine up to recently. Which is why I asked if it had been to a dealer recently. Now if he had the tuner then recently deleted everything then most likely the tuner isn't delete capable and will have to try and find one

Dennis Shellito

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins IBS

There, you have the answer. The truck needs a tune that supports both EGR and DPF removal, such as EFI live or EZlynk. A simple delete tune will do the job and if not wanted, there doesn't even have to be a monitor or a power level switch. I am running the EZlynk on my truck, a 30hp tow tune.

OP
OP
Raaammmathorn

Raaammmathorn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
There, you have the answer. The truck needs a tune that supports both EGR and DPF removal, such as EFI live or EZlynk. A simple delete tune will do the job and if not wanted, there doesn't even have to be a monitor or a power level switch. I am running the EZlynk on my truck, a 30hp tow tune.
Just curious though because the truck ran fine before this smoke issue even with the tuner and other mods installed.

Fuel35 67

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
If it was running well and all of the sudden you’ve got smoke, I’d be looking at injectors.

What codes come up.....good place to start.

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
If it was running well and all of the sudden you’ve got smoke, I’d be looking at injectors.

What codes come up.....good place to start.

The codes are related to egr and dpf. So either it was never tuned correctly and some how was able to run without going into limp mode and now the truck is having issues or the delete tune was either removed or written over

Dennis Shellito

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins IBS
Maybe the vanes in the turbo have stuck because of soot buildup, or maybe the turbo actuator is no longer working.