6.7L Whistle and poor performance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

landocarlesien

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cumins
Hey I have 2017 RAM 2500 6.7L. The other day there was a whistle noise that started from the engine compartment and a few hours later, there is a faint rubber burning smell onlywhen i give or let off of the gas. There is a small decrease in performance as well. I changed the fuel filter and oil about a month ago. Also noticed the transmission is getting a little warmer than usual - between 170-174 degrees. Anyone experience this issue?

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I suspect a turbo inlet or outlet hose connection has worked loose.

OP
OP
L

landocarlesien

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cumins
I suspect a turbo inlet or outlet hose connection has worked loose.
You know how to diagnose where the leak is? It’s impossible to get an appointment any time soon. something I should be concerned about in the immediate future?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Since your getting an exhaust smell, check the pipes going to and leaving the turbo. There maybe a crack in the one of the pipes or a sensor coming loose.

Oliver Closehauf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Laramie
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Since this is causing a performance problem this is probably happening on the output side of the turbo. While its cold you need to get in there and check connections at both intake and outlet of the compressor side of the turbo. That's the side that your airbox connects to and then goes to your intercooler. What everyone else has implied is that one of those rubber connections has come loose, and since it's so close to the exhaust, it may be rubbing against your exhaust manifold, causing your smell.

Dennis Shellito

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins IBS
If you are in warmer climate or towing, your trans temps are normal for summer, and I agree that you have a boost leak. Because of the smell, the other guys that have posted previously are probably right about it being at the turbo. Don't get crazy, but pull around on the inlet and outlet hoses to and from the turbo and inspect for something loose or cracked. The only other place for a boost leak is at the plenum cover over the grid heater, but you wouldn't smell oil from that. I am sure you can hear it leak and try to find the source of the whistle with the hood up and engine running, well, unless you are deaf as a stump like myself. My son was doing something under the hood of my CTD, and the engine was running, and he asked me what that whistle was, and I replied "what whistle". I had some work, poorly done, at the stealership and they left the plenum bolts loose.

Bigjon10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2008 4500 6.7L that is whistling as well, only when accelerating. Also something is leaking from the accelerator pedal. I’m gonna check the intake and turbo hose’s.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Those sound like 2 separate issues. Dunno what to tell you on the whistle other than that is indicative of a boost leak.

The leak near the accelerator pedal "could be" a brake fluid leak. There's nothing from the accelerator pedal to leak. The input shaft seal around the input shaft (rod between the pedal and the master cylinder) may be leaking. If it is, you have to replace the master cylinder.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodie1990