66RFE replacement expectation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bridged

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I recently purchase a 2018 Ram 2500 powerwagon with 119k miles. Within 5,000 miles I ran into some limping issues and then a check engine light for PO735 while on vacation ( ~1000 miles away from home ). I brought the truck to dealership and was told it was need a completely new transmission the 66RFE. The dealership is making it seem like the truck will be sitting for over a year while I wait for a transmission. The new transmission is covered under a warranty (truwarranty). I am curious if anyone has any real experience with timelines for replacement 66rfe. I am unable to find any reliable data for how long people waited for.

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Can’t answer your timeline question but what were your issues when it acted up? Did it start slipping or just go into limp mode?

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Mine was badly tore up inside and they opted to do a rebuild which surprised me. I'm never sure what dictates a rebuild vs. replacement on major components but you might ask to see if that saves some time.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Mine was badly tore up inside and they opted to do a rebuild which surprised me. I'm never sure what dictates a rebuild vs. replacement on major components but you might ask to see if that saves some time.
Generally speaking it comes down to the competencies of the techs at the shop you're at. If no one has taken the courses and gotten certified in transmission repair (aside from remove & replace), then the shop is automatically going to tell you it needs replaced. If they've got someone who is certified to do the work and has the tools, then they will give you the option of a rebuild.

If you don't have any warranty remaining, you MIGHT be able to convince them to put in a 'known good, used' unit, that would at least get you home. It's a long shot if you're at a dealer, most don't like to do that. Independent shops sometimes will, especially if you're from out of town and need to get home. Or, in my dad's case some years back, your transmission was discontinued mid-model year and no one makes parts for it anymore.

Megazor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I recently purchase a 2018 Ram 2500 powerwagon with 119k miles. Within 5,000 miles I ran into some limping issues and then a check engine light for PO735 while on vacation ( ~1000 miles away from home ). I brought the truck to dealership and was told it was need a completely new transmission the 66RFE. The dealership is making it seem like the truck will be sitting for over a year while I wait for a transmission. The new transmission is covered under a warranty (truwarranty). I am curious if anyone has any real experience with timelines for replacement 66rfe. I am unable to find any reliable data for how long people waited for.

Long story short... I'm expecting a call today from my dealership with a timeline and will follow up.

In a similar boat and transmission issues post service with the dealership. I dropped my truck off five weeks ago to my local dealership. Yesterday Max Care finally approved replacing the entire transmission, cooler lines, cooler, and other miscellaneous parts. Mopar reman 66RFEs, according to my dealer service department, have been on back order for months. They submitted a "off the road report" yesterday evening to get an ETA or solution from Max Care. The dealership has had Max Care approved both a transmission shop rebuild and putting in a known good out of a salvage transmission.

Megazor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Dealership called me back late this morning. The Vehicle Off Road (VOR) report was accepted by Chysler/Max Care. The last VOR they did (Feb 2023) took three weeks for the transmission to arrive. They currently have another 66RFE truck that has been waiting five weeks. For me best case will be a total of 8 weeks at the shop or if the other truck's timing is accurate more likely my truck will be at the shop 3 plus months before I get it back. I sure hope mine isn't going to sit for a year waiting.

Frustrating part was it could be driven before taking it in. The shift into and out of fourth was hard due to high line pressure and clutch failure. Eventually it would have died. It was diagnosed as clutch failures, a known issue. While waiting for parts it could have continued to be driven. Now it's undriveable because Max Care/Mopar Vehicle Protection/Digital Imaging/insert random new company name for Chrysler warranty had the dealership tear the transmission completely down to take photos and they have no service techs qualified to reassemble it.

If I didn't have a warranty, I would just order a built one from ATS or nextgen. I wish you the best of luck.

RamCares would you have any insight to the long wait time on 66RFE transmissions?

sixback

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I must be lucky. Had problems getting mine to shift into reverse normally. Took it to a dealership, was told they reproduced the issue and the only solution was to replace the tranny @ a cost of $21K Cdn. I laughed at them, and then went and grabbed my truck out of their lot. Noticed right away they had disconnected my battery during their 'inspection' as many accessory presets were not set no more. Turns out by either killing the power, clearing codes or resetting the ECU, they actually corrected my reverse issue and the truck has behaved normally ever since I drove out of the lot 3 months ago.

Megazor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Quick update that might be useful. Today I stopped in to the dealership for an update and spoke with the parts manager. He showed and explained his system to me. Few take aways. They can't see your exact number in line or a delivery schedule. Assuming that everyone on the list is of equal priority and there is no way to jump head... our best guess is 5 more months of wait time, totaling six and half months in all.

On 03 August, my truck was added to the wait list and was number 188. On 15 August the list was up to 204 with the total number on the list not decreasing since 03 August. As of this morning the list is down to 184. We are hoping and assuming that means 20 transmission have been delivered. That would move me to 164. That averages out to 10 transmissions a week and a wait period of ~ 18 weeks in my case. Adding in delays due to the fall holidays we are hoping a late Christmas gift of a transmission in January.

1999 White C5 Coupe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Quick update that might be useful. Today I stopped in to the dealership for an update and spoke with the parts manager. He showed and explained his system to me. Few take aways. They can't see your exact number in line or a delivery schedule. Assuming that everyone on the list is of equal priority and there is no way to jump head... our best guess is 5 more months of wait time, totaling six and half months in all.

On 03 August, my truck was added to the wait list and was number 188. On 15 August the list was up to 204 with the total number on the list not decreasing since 03 August. As of this morning the list is down to 184. We are hoping and assuming that means 20 transmission have been delivered. That would move me to 164. That averages out to 10 transmissions a week and a wait period of ~ 18 weeks in my case. Adding in delays due to the fall holidays we are hoping a late Christmas gift of a transmission in January.

I know this won’t help you - but I have always felt there should be a federal law that requires vehicle manufacturers to extend the warranty (or service contract) and pay damages if they are unable or unwilling to repair the vehicle that is covered in a timely manner.

Your wait is a classic example. Your vehicle will sit inoperable for months at the dealership, while the clock ticks on the expiration of your service contract.

I had a similar situation with the transmission in my 2015 Ford Expedition Limited - on the lift at the Ford dealership for months, while the dealership waited for back-ordered parts from Ford.

I believe the manufacturers are intentionally not providing parts in a timely manner, which runs the clock on the warranty or service contract, and encourages the vehicle owner to consider another vehicle (since many NEED their vehicle for work or other reasons).

Good luck - I wish you the best.

Tom Davis

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Can't say on the 66RFE, but I just had my 65RFE replaced this past May. If I had wanted to wait for OEM there was no known timeline, but there has been another newer Ram sitting there for 4 months already waiting on an OEM transmission, and they had no idea how long it would take to get one.

I had to wait almost 2 months to get a Jasper for mine. They can with the exact same warranty, so figured why not. The other truck was still sitting in the same spot when I finally got to pick mine up. I know this isn't what you wanted to hear, but maybe it will give some type of idea as to how long you may expect to wait.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Can't say on the 66RFE, but I just had my 65RFE replaced this past May. If I had wanted to wait for OEM there was no known timeline, but there has been another newer Ram sitting there for 4 months already waiting on an OEM transmission, and they had no idea how long it would take to get one.

I had to wait almost 2 months to get a Jasper for mine. They can with the exact same warranty, so figured why not. The other truck was still sitting in the same spot when I finally got to pick mine up. I know this isn't what you wanted to hear, but maybe it will give some type of idea as to how long you may expect to wait.
I would have waited for the factory, or seen if they could have a rebuild done in-house (or even at a local trans shop). I wouldn't put a Jasper in my lawn mower. How they've kept their name spotless I don't know, but they're a crapshoot on if it's a good part or not.

Tom Davis

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I would have waited for the factory, or seen if they could have a rebuild done in-house (or even at a local trans shop). I wouldn't put a Jasper in my lawn mower. How they've kept their name spotless I don't know, but they're a crapshoot on if it's a good part or not.
Every shop I called said a replacement, seems no one in the local area does rebuilds anymore, and my days of laying in the driveway and replacing it myself are done and past. And as far as factory goes, there are no more factory 6-speeds being put out.

The dealership actually had the best price, and could source it quicker than anyone else. The warranty is the same, so I figure in three years it is out of here. Jasper used to put out a good product, but their name isn't what it used to be. Hoping I got a good one.

Megazor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Its been a few weeks since my last update.

Truck initially went into the dealership on 27 June 2023 and added to the back order mopar list on 03 August 2023. As of 01 September 2023, I'm somewhere around 147 still on the list and started at 184. The dealership's parts system was down this morning, but his notes from Thursday had me at 147.

Still can't believe the level of sleazeball that Chrysler is getting away with in their "life time max care warranty". Stopping the manufacturing of parts and having long back-order times on critical parts so they effectively don't have to honor their contract. At this point, I've purchased another vehicle and just waiting it the process out for the quoted $13k replacement cost. Resell value will determine if I keep the Ram once it is fixed. In the last month, similar trucks in my area have been marked down $8-10k.

Megazor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Its been a few weeks since my last update.

Truck initially went into the dealership on 27 June 2023 and added to the back order mopar list on 03 August 2023. As of 01 September 2023, I'm somewhere around 147 still on the list and started at 184. The dealership's parts system was down this morning, but his notes from Thursday had me at 147.

Still can't believe the level of sleazeball that Chrysler is getting away with in their "life time max care warranty". Stopping the manufacturing of parts and having long back-order times on critical parts so they effectively don't have to honor their contract. At this point, I've purchased another vehicle and just waiting it the process out for the quoted $13k replacement cost. Resell value will determine if I keep the Ram once it is fixed. In the last month, similar trucks in my area have been marked down $8-10k.

Got a surpise phone call from the dealership this morning. My MOPAR reman 66RFE with cooler and lines arrived today to the dealership's part department. I should get my truck back next week after it sitting for ~ 3 months at the dealership. What is confusing is the dealership still hasn't received the replacement for the other truck that has been there longer then mine. I had the parts department confirm it was my 66RFE and not the other guys. It arrived assigned to my VIN. They followed the same process for both trucks so who knows.

Here's to hoping that wait times continue to decrease.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Got a surpise phone call from the dealership this morning. My MOPAR reman 66RFE with cooler and lines arrived today to the dealership's part department. I should get my truck back next week after it sitting for ~ 3 months at the dealership. What is confusing is the dealership still hasn't received the replacement for the other truck that has been there longer then mine. I had the parts department confirm it was my 66RFE and not the other guys. It arrived assigned to my VIN. They followed the same process for both trucks so who knows.

Here's to hoping that wait times continue to decrease.
I have given up trying to figure out MOPAR parts allocations.

I was told by one dealer that with major parts assemblies like Transmission and Engines, they allocate and spread out what is available by region with each region getting X amount regardless of their place in line at a national level. That is why you hear about some people getting their stuff before you when their problem came after yours, it is usually because they were in a different parts distribution region.

70UTE

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Walking a similar path as the OP. I have a real problem with my 66rfe although it is drivable. Went to the local Ram service center and they quoted 9.5K for trans, cooler, shift cable and 10 to 12 month wait time not including R&R. I just ordered my rebuild kit, have the sonnax valve body and a new edge racing converter. Luckily I have a backup ride but I’ll be rebuilding my own and the cost is 1/8th the price quoted.

17Rammegcab

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
New here ..going through the same thing 2017 2500 66rfe transmission just went out w/ 51k on it. I'm the second owener bought the truck with 43k never towed its my ride to work amd back. And i still owe $47k on the loan . Ram dealership miracle Dodge In PA will not work on it says needs a new transmission for $13k. In contact Ram. Customer service, they're giving me the run around. I asked the Sealership. About a vehicle off road report being submitted as mentioned adove There response was they never hear of anything like that ....Any help or suggestions PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE

Last edited:

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
New here ..going through the same thing 2017 2500 66rfe transmission just went out w/ 51k on it. I'm the second owener bought the truck with 43k never towed its my ride to work amd back. And i still owe $47k on the loan . Ram dealership miracle Dodge In PA will not work on it says needs a new transmission for $13k. In contact Ram. Customer service, they're giving me the run around. I asked the Sealership. About a vehicle off road report being submitted as mentioned adove There response was they never hear of anything like that ....Any help or suggestions PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE
See my response in your other thread. You're out of warranty so they aren't going to cover it, if you bought it used from a Ram dealer you MIGHT have been able to get a Mopar extended warranty that would have covered it.

There is a bit of a backlog of these transmissions anyway, but if you're out of warranty coverage then the price tag for replacement is about $13k at any Ram dealer, and there's a good chance it'll sit a while while they wait on one to come in.

I suggest, since it sounds like you're out of warranty, you find an independent transmission shop. They'll be cheaper and can probably rebuild yours to speed things up, but I can't even guess as to what your final bill would be. The last transmission I had rebuilt was a MY1998 4T65E and it set me back $1600, but this was over 10 years ago. Prices, and transmissions, have changed a lot since then.

17Rammegcab

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
See my response in your other thread. You're out of warranty so they aren't going to cover it, if you bought it used from a Ram dealer you MIGHT have been able to get a Mopar extended warranty that would have covered it.

There is a bit of a backlog of these transmissions anyway, but if you're out of warranty coverage then the price tag for replacement is about $13k at any Ram dealer, and there's a good chance it'll sit a while while they wait on one to come in.

I suggest, since it sounds like you're out of warranty, you find an independent transmission shop. They'll be cheaper and can probably rebuild yours to speed things up, but I can't even guess as to what your final bill would be. The last transmission I had rebuilt was a MY1998 4T65E and it set me back $1600, but this was over 10 years ago. Prices, and transmissions, have changed a lot since then.
Yeah I have been looking at Ats desiel 66rfe transmission for around $9 installed seem like they have fixed most of the problem areas the OeM one have... thank you for your reply

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I don't think they're interchangeable between the diesel and the 6.4. I am not 100% but I think the bellhousing is different? I may be mistaken.

Biggest problem with the 66RFE from my understanding is the valve body, particularly in the gassers.

Then again I took one to over 100k with no issues with the trans. If the previous owner abused it then I can see why it would fail so early.

Regardless if you're out of warranty no reason not to look at an independent transmission shop.