66RFE replacement expectation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I don't think they're interchangeable between the diesel and the 6.4. I am not 100% but I think the bellhousing is different? I may be mistaken.

Biggest problem with the 66RFE from my understanding is the valve body, particularly in the gassers.

Then again I took one to over 100k with no issues with the trans. If the previous owner abused it then I can see why it would fail so early.

Regardless if you're out of warranty no reason not to look at an independent transmission shop.

That's the 68RFE with a different bellhousing. ATS will rebuild the 66RFE guts too.

They told me they are out of inventory for swaps, gotta send in your trans for rebuild. Since OP is already down, that's what I suggest he do. He can pick and choose how much upgrading he wants.

At minimum is a new valve body.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
That's the 68RFE with a different bellhousing. ATS will rebuild the 66RFE guts too.

They told me they are out of inventory for swaps, gotta send in your trans for rebuild. Since OP is already down, that's what I suggest he do. He can pick and choose how much upgrading he wants.

At minimum is a new valve body.

Hope AST does better on gas trans then they do on diesel trans, my self I would never be caught dead with one of them in my truck...

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Hope AST does better on gas trans then they do on diesel trans, my self I would never be caught dead with one of them in my truck...

Well, say more - why, and what you would recommend to help OP out.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Well, say more - why, and what you would recommend to help OP out.

I can't help out the OP being they were a one poster back in July, Oh others with problems could try Suncoast I think they work on the 66, as for AST have see a few of them Purple things that went to crap behind a 5.9 Cummins and have read of many, many others who also had the same problem with AST transmissions aka the purple plague and to this day know of some who spit on the ground any time that name is spoken....

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I can't help out the OP being they were a one poster back in July, Oh others with problems could try Suncoast I think they work on the 66, as for AST have see a few of them Purple things that went to crap behind a 5.9 Cummins and have read of many, many others who also had the same problem with AST transmissions aka the purple plague and to this day know of some who spit on the ground any time that name is spoken....

There's been some guys talking about swap for the ZF, but that's too much for me these days. I'd wager there's guys on these threads who've done it.

17Rammegcab

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
I don't think they're interchangeable between the diesel and the 6.4. I am not 100% but I think the bellhousing is different? I may be mistaken.

Biggest problem with the 66RFE from my understanding is the valve body, particularly in the gassers.

Then again I took one to over 100k with no issues with the trans. If the previous owner abused it then I can see why it would fail so early.

Regardless if you're out of warranty no reason not to look at an independent transmission shop.
Yeah they are not but ATS also make a 66rfe as well... even through they are primarily a desiel company....

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
@06 Dodge says ATS RFE's are junk.
Maybe they have better luck building a trans that can work with a little ol Hemi ;) but based on what I know of them and how the AST trans did not hold up behind many 5.9 CTD would not have them in any of my trucks and know of other who to this day feel the same way... This is my own personal opinion

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My first recommendations would be to find a local reputable transmission shop. They do the entire job including the R&R. The problem with these non-local companies is you have to figure out who is going to remove and reinstall the transmission, then figure out how to ship it. The next concern is if you have an issue what do you do? Even if they offer a warranty it is still up to you to have the trans removed again and ship it back. Those companies also have a tendency to blame the issue on a bad install (which from my experience can definitely be the issue).

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Agree with the above. If you're short on time and need it up and running properly, go to a local GOOD trans shop (one that doesn't just throw a Jasper in everything), not just a mechanic. They'll evaluate it, if it needs to be pulled they'll pull it, and rebuild or replace it, then reinstall. If they've done their job right, it'll be as good or better than new.

17Rammegcab

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Agree with the above. If you're short on time and need it up and running properly, go to a local GOOD trans shop (one that doesn't just throw a Jasper in everything), not just a mechanic. They'll evaluate it, if it needs to be pulled they'll pull it, and rebuild or replace it, then reinstall. If they've done their job right, it'll be as good or better than new.
Yeah I did go with an independent shop meisner performance in blandon PA. they use only transgo and sonnax part for rebuild they also rebuild the converter with better internals, the tech Butch said he does alot of 66's and 68's. For years now and after he has rebuilt hasn't had one come back. But it's now goin on 3 weeks and im still wait for them to finish... seems like since 2020 everything takes 1000% longer.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I must be lucky. Had problems getting mine to shift into reverse normally. Took it to a dealership, was told they reproduced the issue and the only solution was to replace the tranny @ a cost of $21K Cdn. I laughed at them, and then went and grabbed my truck out of their lot. Noticed right away they had disconnected my battery during their 'inspection' as many accessory presets were not set no more. Turns out by either killing the power, clearing codes or resetting the ECU, they actually corrected my reverse issue and the truck has behaved normally ever since I drove out of the lot 3 months ago.
That doesn't surprise me at all. Most places won't pay a competent seasoned technician what it takes to keep said tech.
That leaves them with less experienced, hence lower level perspicuity of all the nuances and functions of THE most complicated item of any vehicle.

BASIC diagnostics includes checking for powers and grounds and battery capacitance, checking for circuit voltage drops and/or excessive A/C ripple on the circuits, scanning the entire CAN/BUS system for anomalies, recording the freeze frame data from original scan BEFORE erasing ANY trouble codes.

Given the avaricious nature of most facilities, and their skin-flint program of recompense, it is a wonder if any techs would do these very crucial steps completely.

Your experience doesn't even come close to surprising me. Ultimately, you likely have an intermittent glitch. Perhaps in the alternator, or the battery. Maybe not, and maybe there was a spike in the system from some other outside influence such as giving or receiving a direct vehicle to vehicle jump start.

Kudos to your good fortune! :)

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4

Yep, 38K and 90K miles. First one was totally out of the blue. Sitting in traffic, went to accelerate and barely moved. Second one had a few more warnings like going into limp mode. Both times resulted in a pretty major rebuild according to the dealer. First was covered under factory warranty, second under MaxCare Lifetime. Fwiw, the truck has had a pretty easy life. I do tow an 11K 5th wheel but rarely and (thankfully) none of the problems were near or when I was towing. Otherwise, it's just a daily driver and I'm getting to be an old guy and don't drive very aggressively at all.

17Rammegcab

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Well I need to rebuild my tourque conveter as well with my transmission. Need to decide between a two clutch or three... both are about the same in price but didn't k ow the pros and Cons from one to the other

r56ranch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yep, 38K and 90K miles. First one was totally out of the blue. Sitting in traffic, went to accelerate and barely moved. Second one had a few more warnings like going into limp mode. Both times resulted in a pretty major rebuild according to the dealer. First was covered under factory warranty, second under MaxCare Lifetime. Fwiw, the truck has had a pretty easy life. I do tow an 11K 5th wheel but rarely and (thankfully) none of the problems were near or when I was towing. Otherwise, it's just a daily driver and I'm getting to be an old guy and don't drive very aggressively at all.
Similar experience here. I've posted about my 66FRE in the Power Wagon section a few times but should have been posting and following this one.

I have the MOPAR Added Care Plus lifetime Warranty. Last year at about 77,000 I had the Transmission, Front and Rear differentials and transfer case serviced at my dealer. About 2000 miles later the transmission went into limp mode and 11 MONTHS later I got my truck back with a MOPAR remanufactured. BEFORE I got home from picking it up the check engine light came on. I turned around and went back. 3 days later I got the truck back. The dealer repaired the transmission by replacing a long list of parts.

3 months later the engine started clattering like a box of marbles. Even thought there were 6.4 HEMIs in stock , it took 3 months for MOPAR to approve the warranty replacement. They kept asking the dealer for more info , delaying answering them , then asking for more info. I eventually got approval and got the truck back with a remanufactured engine.

3 weeks ago the transmission locked up after 6000 miles on the "repaired REmanufacturerd" tranny. This time I got it back in 10 days with another remanufactured 66rfe. I didn't have to pay the $100 deductible this time around since the first remanufactured 66rfe had a 3 yr warranty. I was shocked that I got it back so quickly. I was prepared to wait several months again.

I have owned and worked HARD a lot of trucks in the last 55 years and towed a lot of weight for long distances. . Really the only truck I've ever had issues with.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Doesn't sound like the dealer serviced it properly - it's likely not a coincidence the transmission failed 2,000 miles after Dealer service.

The thing that kills these transmissions are heat, overpowering tune ups, and lack of oil changes.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Similar experience here. I've posted about my 66FRE in the Power Wagon section a few times but should have been posting and following this one.

I have the MOPAR Added Care Plus lifetime Warranty. Last year at about 77,000 I had the Transmission, Front and Rear differentials and transfer case serviced at my dealer. About 2000 miles later the transmission went into limp mode and 11 MONTHS later I got my truck back with a MOPAR remanufactured. BEFORE I got home from picking it up the check engine light came on. I turned around and went back. 3 days later I got the truck back. The dealer repaired the transmission by replacing a long list of parts.

3 months later the engine started clattering like a box of marbles. Even thought there were 6.4 HEMIs in stock , it took 3 months for MOPAR to approve the warranty replacement. They kept asking the dealer for more info , delaying answering them , then asking for more info. I eventually got approval and got the truck back with a remanufactured engine.

3 weeks ago the transmission locked up after 6000 miles on the "repaired REmanufacturerd" tranny. This time I got it back in 10 days with another remanufactured 66rfe. I didn't have to pay the $100 deductible this time around since the first remanufactured 66rfe had a 3 yr warranty. I was shocked that I got it back so quickly. I was prepared to wait several months again.

I have owned and worked HARD a lot of trucks in the last 55 years and towed a lot of weight for long distances. . Really the only truck I've ever had issues with.
Damn.... I think you might have me beat :) It's funny I got a brand new "crate" engine and you got a re-manufactured. I kind of expected a rebuild of some type.

And yeah, they put me through hell getting the engine approved. I was really glad to have had every bit of service done at the dealer or I'm sure that would have been a hassle. The biggest hurdle was the registration. When my state (Oregon) sends out the form is says "renewal application" across the top because at that point it is a renewal. Well, you pay the fee, etc. and then it becomes your registration. They just couldn't get passed that and said is wasn't a current registration. Despite the fact that I had the title, the keys.... THE TRUCK :) I can't remember what finally convinced them but it was a couple tense weeks.