Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Art in Phoenix

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 diesel HO
I've been trying to find an 8 foot folding hard cover for several weeks and no luck. Since I'll be towing a 5th wheel soon it needs to be a low profile type. I'd prefer the UnderCover Ultra Flex or Armor Flex as it seems to check all the boxes for me. I sent an email to the OEM and hope to find out if they are making them or only shipping to distributors as ordered (If I'm lucky maybe they know where any are in stock at a dealer).

There also seems to be inconsistent information on whether their current product would fit my application. I have 2021 Limited Longhorn 3500 HO diesel crew cab 4X4 with 8 foot bed. I know the 1500 has the classic and new body style which makes a difference on the bed dimensions but the 3500? It's hard to find anything on that model yet UnderCover seems to think I need to check my body style as the model they make is only for the classic body style.

I might consider a roll top but I'd prefer exhausting my search for the folding. I've done a lot of searching online. We're traveling about the country so location is not the biggest consideration. I've been to Line-X dealers and they say the distributor does not show any in stock and no telling when the order would be fulfilled. Leer said the same thing.

At this point any helpful tips, advice, experience, or inside knowledge would be most appreciated. Thanks

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
I am not exactly sure what you call a folding hard cover. I can tell you taht after shopping for a topper/canopy for my 2021 2500 8' box SRW the dealers selling canopies need to do a bunch of training with their staff. Most of them know very little. The 2019+ in the 2500 and 3500 all have the same bed dimensions. The biggest difference to the pre 2019 in the tailgate shape. The rest of the bed dimensions all the way from 1996 are actually very close to the same. See the thread I posted about Canopy shopping once it gets approved.

From the thread I posted on Canopies

A couple of interesting things, the 2500 and 3500 do not come in a Quad cab configuration any more. If you want an 8' box you get standard cab or crew cab. The Mega cab only comes with the 6' 4" box. Since I was originally having such a hard time finding a cap I did some measuring of my existing truck and a 2019 that was on a dealer lot. I don't know if Dodge did it on purpose but the length of the bed rails, width of the box and width of the Tailgate are almost identical on both trucks. Both beds are 71.5" wide at the front, near the cab, it tapers to 69" at the back near the tailgate. The Tailgate is 62.5" wide. This means that in all likelyhood I could just drop the 1996 canopy straight onto the new truck. The only issue is the rear door hangs over the tailgate on the 96, to form a good seal. The 2021 has that wide Whaletail flat spot and bump out on the tailgate. You would have to trim 1/2 to 3/4" off the bottom of the aluminum frame at the bottom of the door for the door to be able to close and allow the double T handles to latch up.

s62vsmOl.jpg

The back of the cab seems to have just a bit more outward bow to it than it did on the 1996 club cab but I doubt it is enough to affect fitment.

fA3Hk4Ll.jpg