8 speed swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

t0ymach1n3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L???
I'm working on this very thing for my 2014 2WD 1500 and I've come up with the following so far.

8HP70-75 trans and the rear brace (not 100% on the use of a 8HP75 with this setup)
engine/trans harness for the 8 speed version of the truck
dial shifter - This one I think can be swapped with other 8 speed shifters with a little tuning magic
ECM with the brown plug (can be either 2013 or 2014)
Someone who knows what the heck they are doing with a tuner to make all the parts talk to each other.

Ryno1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
That's about what I'm seeing, besides flexplate, pilot bushing, and drive shaft. Suppose a new steering column as well unless you want the column shifter in the way.

t0ymach1n3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L???
I wondered about the column shifter as well. I've read in a few other forums, related to our trucks, and all said the removed the column shifter and either left the hole there, covered it up with tape or bought the other steering column cover that doesn't have the shift column hole in it.

And you're right on the other things needed. I grabbed a PDF from one of the other guys in here that did the swap and have been using that to figure out what I need, for the most part. I renamed it in case he's stalking the thread. I give full credit to XXXXX lol

Attachments

• Ram 8HP70 parts list.pdf
    45.2 KB · Views: 46

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
If they're even remotely like the 3rd gens in that regard, pull the shroud and should be able to unbolt the handle. I might still have a 4th gen column shroud out in the garage.

Ryno1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
That makes sense, I hadn't looked at the column in depth enough to see how integrated the shifter was.

Ryno1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
I'm working on this very thing for my 2014 2WD 1500 and I've come up with the following so far.

8HP70-75 trans and the rear brace (not 100% on the use of a 8HP75 with this setup)
engine/trans harness for the 8 speed version of the truck
dial shifter - This one I think can be swapped with other 8 speed shifters with a little tuning magic
ECM with the brown plug (can be either 2013 or 2014)
Someone who knows what the heck they are doing with a tuner to make all the parts talk to each other.
FRP Tuning may have the answer to make it all talk. Just came across them.

emjohn4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good to know, really can't wait to do the swap then. I wonder how much more competent it'll make the 4.7.

You might be the first with the 4.7 to do the swap!

It made the 5.7 much more competent; and the 4.7
I wondered about the column shifter as well. I've read in a few other forums, related to our trucks, and all said the removed the column shifter and either left the hole there, covered it up with tape or bought the other steering column cover that doesn't have the shift column hole in it.

And you're right on the other things needed. I grabbed a PDF from one of the other guys in here that did the swap and have been using that to figure out what I need, for the most part. I renamed it in case he's stalking the thread. I give full credit to XXXXX lol
Man, that's a lot of Xs.

I'm happy people are using it, that's why I posted it. No credit needed.

Ryno1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
I just looked at my connectors on the ECM, all white. So I guess my options are a new ECM and harness or the SGA set up. I suppose the SGA makes more sense.

t0ymach1n3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L???
I just looked at my connectors on the ECM, all white. So I guess my options are a new ECM and harness or the SGA set up. I suppose the SGA makes more sense.
I talked to Russell and he told me the following in my conversation with him this weekend. This is what gave me a glimmer of hope this would be possible with 95% OEM parts. This applies to 2013 and 2014 Ram1500 w/65RFE only. Anything else will require his kit.

"Dodge made the Ram with the 8 speed in 2014. You can use my kit to do this swap but from 2013 and up it is a factory option. So in reality my kit is unnecessary if you wire it like the factory and either replace or reprogram the appropriate control modules."

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
I plan
I talked to Russell and he told me the following in my conversation with him this weekend. This is what gave me a glimmer of hope this would be possible with 95% OEM parts. This applies to 2013 and 2014 Ram1500 w/65RFE only. Anything else will require his kit.

"Dodge made the Ram with the 8 speed in 2014. You can use my kit to do this swap but from 2013 and up it is a factory option. So in reality my kit is unnecessary if you wire it like the factory and either replace or reprogram the appropriate control modules.

That's great to know! I plan on just going all out and splurging on OEM parts and wiring it just like factory.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I plan

That's great to know! I plan on just going all out and splurging on OEM parts and wiring it just like factory.
I know Russell was working on a work around to keep the column shift somehow but I don't know if he ever finished it. If not then you're gonna need a dial or a floor shifter.

Ryno1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
Maybe this isn’t as critical, but wouldn’t you also need to change the steering wheel to one with drive gear selectors.

emjohn4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Maybe this isn’t as critical, but wouldn’t you also need to change the steering wheel to one with drive gear selectors.
If you use the range select, yes. There is some confusion (by me, I suppose) if the 8HP70 swap will allow manual shifting.

I don't see why it wouldn't, but SGA said only car trans support it. This doesn't make a ton of sense to me, since the truck came with gear select buttons.

What I can say is that on my '12 Sport that had the console shift, moving the range select switch does nothing on my 8HP70. Maybe steering wheel switches would.

A new steering wheel switch is $100, and I'd have to solder new LEDs in it (see an old thread, I converted all my lighting to white instead of green) and I just don't feel like spending $100 on it and trying it, as I never honestly used the gear selector when I had my 65RFE.

If someone had a switch laying around for $20 or so, I'd do it. But that's kinda what it's worth to me...based on how much I used it previously.

t0ymach1n3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L???
I asked about that too. He's the answer I got

"You can use either shifter. Charger/challenger shifters will work on Ram transmission calibrations but for the manual gate to work the tcu calibration will need to be changed. currently that requires a new factory tcm"

Ryno1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
I asked about that too. He's the answer I got

"You can use either shifter. Charger/challenger shifters will work on Ram transmission calibrations but for the manual gate to work the tcu calibration will need to be changed. currently that requires a new factory tcm"
Interesting. I would think on ECMs, where the 8HP is a factory option and you’re not having to use SGA, you would be able to use the range select. I don’t use it often, but there are times it’s needed. Guess that would put me back to preferring to find a performance built 65RFE.

t0ymach1n3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L???
I think what he's saying is that you can use the stock dial shifter or swap it to a console shifter from a challenger/charger if you'd like to. I'm still convinced this is possible with a few lucky trips to some pick n pulls to get everything you need.

Did occur to me that there would also need to be the wiring for the dial/console shifter ran as well. I haven't seen anything that shows it's stock. I'm going to pull my radio bezel out far enough that I can look back there and see if I have those connectors or not. That would be a bit of tough pill to swallow if you had to pull the dash off to run the hook ups

Ryno1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
I think what he's saying is that you can use the stock dial shifter or swap it to a console shifter from a challenger/charger if you'd like to. I'm still convinced this is possible with a few lucky trips to some pick n pulls to get everything you need.

Did occur to me that there would also need to be the wiring for the dial/console shifter ran as well. I haven't seen anything that shows it's stock. I'm going to pull my radio bezel out far enough that I can look back there and see if I have those connectors or not. That would be a bit of tough pill to swallow if you had to pull the dash off to run the hook ups
That makes sense then. Yeah, I’ve pulled my bezel a few times and never thought to look. Either way, you should be able to run the wiring without pulling the dash. Also, pulling the dash isn’t as bad as it sounds. I pulled mine about a month ago to install dual temperature control. I can do it in about 20-30 minutes. Granted, I don’t have a center console.