8 speed swap

StickyLifter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
What about for the folks with 2014s with the brown plug ECU? Does that mean that we only need the brake release lever and the trans harness in addition to the rest of the driveline hardware? What about the harness underneath the dash that connects to the rotary knob? Is that already in place or will I need that too?

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
What about for the folks with 2014s with the brown plug ECU? Does that mean that we only need the brake release lever and the trans harness in addition to the rest of the driveline hardware? What about the harness underneath the dash that connects to the rotary knob? Is that already in place or will I need that too?
I have seen a few of the 2014 trucks that came with the 65RFE trans but still had the wiring in place for the rotary shifter. Best bet is to take a look and see what you have.

StickyLifter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Excellent. I will create a thread when I have everything detailing what I did and what parts were needed. I don't think it's going to be too bad, and I get to practice hacking the CAN bus to get my trailer brake controller working.

Truck is gonna be a BEAST with that 4.71 first gear, all the Sonnax goodies, and a 2500 converter. Really wish the GPZ clutches and billet E clutch drum weren't so crazy expensive.

jmihalchik

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The wiring from SGA has the shifter wiring. You tap into the cam bus for the inputs, only the brake input you need to manually get.

emjohn4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok - you guys talked me into this. I contacted SGA a couple days ago with questions, and will order the kit today for my '12 5.7 65RFE.

I'll source the parts over the next couple months, and probally won't start the work until March / April time when I can drive they toy car (post winter) while I'm working on the truck.

Perhaps it is just a weekend swap and after I get the pieces in I'll start it earlier. Anyone know if I need a rear driveshaft for the 4x4 scenario? Understand for the 2wd a driveshaft is needed.

But - step one is underway, buying the SGA kit!

Step two is transmission, three is remaining pieces.

BADHEMI1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 1500 HEMI
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
So with the SGA kit you can still use aftermarket trans tunes?? I thought SGA said you have to use the stock tune only?

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So with the SGA kit you can still use aftermarket trans tunes?? I thought SGA said you have to use the stock tune only?

Get HP Tuners if you plan to do this :headbang:

Im almost saved up for the SGA kit but looks like I will loose my job since im not a science experiment and refusing to get the jab. what a ****** up world we live in now.

StickyLifter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
The wiring from SGA has the shifter wiring. You tap into the cam bus for the inputs, only the brake input you need to manually get.
I spoke with the guy at SGA and he stated that if I had an ECU with brown plugs I shouldn't need his computer and harness stuff, my factory 2014 ECU will run either transmission. I've seen the drop down box in HP Tuners that lets you change it. I'm concerned about getting the CAN bus to recognize the transmission and allow the truck to start. I think this works the same way my factory brake controller does, and hopefully the dealer or a local shop can enable the trans in my ECU or BCM or whatever computer is needing it. Supposedly it has to be allowed for my specific VIN's list of equipment.

I've got a 2017 8HP70 with 54K miles on it headed to my shop right now. We'll see what happens.

Harleyc04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I did an 8HP70 swap into my truck back in 2019. My truck is a 3rd gen (2004). I did a writeup about it on another forum a couple months ago. it's on hemi truck club.

Last edited: