8 speed swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BADHEMI1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 1500 HEMI
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
Well I changed the shifter type and noticed no immediate change. The gear indicator stopped at 6, just as before. I also enabled Performance Pages, which also didn't work. So we will see if everything is unchanged within a few days and change it back if nothing worked.
I think it might have to be done in instrumentation controls. Something with the gauge cluster controls maybe.

1SLwLS1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I think it might have to be done in instrumentation controls. Something with the gauge cluster controls maybe.

I poked around in there and didn't see anything relevant but I will try again.

BADHEMI1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 1500 HEMI
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
im in the process of getting setup with alfa OBD im going to try also. I wish Russell could figure that out for us... i for sure would pay extra for that to work

emjohn4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'd like it as well.

This summer I am going to send him my TCU to flash the calibration that will allow manual shifting...the gear readout would be nice; but the manual shifting will be great regardless.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

From recent work with a 2013 and up Ram ecu calibrations. I will now be offering reprogramming for 8 speed swaps. This will only be with HPTuners. So if you are using other tuning equipment you will have to change. But if not this will allow you to keep everything else as it was in the ecu calibration. This should be easier and cheaper than replacing the ecu or reprogramming with factory 8 speed calibration. Savings would be not having to buy an ecu, or reprogram and not having to pay for new credits and of course time in reloading your modifications into your ecu. BCM reprogramming is still required with a device like Alpha OBD. Price for the changes will be 250.00. You can email me your HPTuners file or send me your ecu. Additional charges for me to license and edit your ECU if you send it in will apply and shipping. Shifter connector From Dodge 68429697AA. Transmission connector 68305267AA. Star connector x2 68137881AA. BCM 68440528AA but just one terminal is needed.

nc_ohc=rbHmnUlPSeoAX_6cTlH&_nc_ht=scontent.fyxd1-1.jpgnc_ohc=KtIyDDMDU40AX-XtvMy&_nc_ht=scontent.fyxd1-1.jpg

1SLwLS1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Is this new or different from what he previously offered for reprogramming of the ECU?

I asked Russell on the FB page and this update is for those with 2013+ to be able to reprogram your existing ECU to communicate with the 8HP70 without needing the PCS module (like I have). My existing setup has modifications to the ECU to turn-off/ignore the lack of the expected 65RFE and to take basic information the PCS computer, which communicates with the 8HP70 TCM.

It sounds like you would need to make your own wiring modifications and harness, but would not require the $1X00 harness/computer.

1SLwLS1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4

I am glad I didn't have to do all of that to get the PCS standalone controller working!

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I am glad I didn't have to do all of that to get the PCS standalone controller working!
About the only advantage to the way the Aussies are doing it,is this will apparently let you program in a tranny brake with a bump feature,which beats even using the 1320 tcm with it's factory tranny brake,as there's no bump feature with the 1320 tcm. It is an intriguing set-up,but does appear like it's a bit of work to implement. The guys down under are using the little 45 even behind 500 hp builds,which blows my mind,as i figured it'd self destruct above about 350 horse

Odin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 2500
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Read quite a few of these pages, but I'm wondering if anyone has done this on a 2500 yet and if there are any addition parts needed? I've got a 2018 PW and would love to get this swap done!

gtomike60

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
My truck won't start ,won't even turn over
The mechanical is all done and I think it's wired correctly into CANbus,which is supposedly all I need
Downloaded the PCS software
It's a 2012 2500 Power Wagon
I get a faint click when I turn the key to start
I'm wondering if I did something incorrectly,or if my starter just coincidently happened to die when I drove it into the garage to do the swap
I'll take the starter out and get it tested tomorrow,but wanted to check with you guys to see if I missed something

PS...I have no problems doing all the mechanical,but I struggle with electrical and computer stuff
Any help is appreciated

Evguy1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM1500
Engine
Cummins ISB 170
You could just see if you have voltage at the starter solinoid when some one turns the key to start. The faint click is probably the starter relay in the PDC.

emjohn4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My truck won't start ,won't even turn over
The mechanical is all done and I think it's wired correctly into CANbus,which is supposedly all I need
Downloaded the PCS software
It's a 2012 2500 Power Wagon
I get a faint click when I turn the key to start
I'm wondering if I did something incorrectly,or if my starter just coincidently happened to die when I drove it into the garage to do the swap
I'll take the starter out and get it tested tomorrow,but wanted to check with you guys to see if I missed something

PS...I have no problems doing all the mechanical,but I struggle with electrical and computer stuff
Any help is appreciated
What color is the shifter position in the instrument cluster illuminated? White or Green?

gtomike60

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
What color is the shifter position in the instrument cluster illuminated? White or Green?
On the cluster,they're green with red R
On the floor shifter,they're white with the red R,but flash all red if I try to move it

1SLwLS1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I assume you had Russell already modify your pcm tune through hp tuners to "turn off" your original transmission. When I was trying to get mine going, everything was yellow, cluster and dial shifter. I had to get a new PCS flash from Russell to get them speaking and then I could start the engine.

You're using the floor shifter from a car and not a dial shifter, correct? Did you order your SGA harness accordingly?

gtomike60

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I assume you had Russell already modify your pcm tune through hp tuners to "turn off" your original transmission. When I was trying to get mine going, everything was yellow, cluster and dial shifter. I had to get a new PCS flash from Russell to get them speaking and then I could start the engine.

You're using the floor shifter from a car and not a dial shifter, correct? Did you order your SGA harness accordingly?
Yeah,shipped it out to Russell
I'm using a floor shifter from a Charger
The dial shifter uses a different connector

emjohn4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
On the cluster,they're green with red R
On the floor shifter,they're white with the red R,but flash all red if I try to move it
Green means the truck computer isn't seeing the info from the SGA computer.

Where did you tap into the canbus?