Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rgallina25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey all, Newbie here.. I've recently picked up an '86 d150 this past weekend. Body/frame are both solid, no motor or trans. I have an '03 parts truck I purchased for another project awhile back that is still complete minus a few body parts. Runs and drives, was just hit in the front.
I'd really like to swap the 5.7 and 545 into the '86. I know there are a bunch of people that have already done this, but I haven't come across anyone using a complete donor yet, or a really specific write up on the swap. I'd like to use as much of the '03 as possible to keep costs down. I also came across most people using partial harnesses with kits from Holley or Hotwireauto, but read in another thread to use the complete harness from the donor if possible.
I briefly considered removing the body from both vehicles, shortening the '03 frame, and placing the '86 on it (Obviously lot's and lot's of fab work.)
Can anyone point me in the right direction here or offer some insight on what I would need to complete this project? I'm open to suggestions, but I am dead set on at least using the 5.7 out of the donor truck.
Thanks in advance!