8hp70 heater bypass

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
caulk04

caulk04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Jesse Tim Gracia(sp??) wants one of your bypasses,but he can't post here anymore,so i told him you were on High Performance Rams,if you want to look him up,he wants your paypal info.
Rick

Tim Garceau?

OP
OP
caulk04

caulk04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ok, thanks. I sent him a message on FB.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yup. He tracked Crazykid and i down on the thread on Greene teams facebook page.
I’m having caulk send me back my tstat. Been doing a good bit of research into these transmissions. BMW runs the same 8hp in their cars and are actually running them around 200-220° and use a fluid heater setup just like our rams. A few other manufacturers use similar setups and run them around 190-200°. I am planning on pulling out the threaded plugs and installing -6 AN fittings and tubing to replace the pathway that the heat exchanger was. Caulk is sending me one of his delete plugs as well in case I end up wanting to go back to full cooler flow. Supposedly some of the 8hp90s are having issues with torque management until they are over 160° I may try and see if I can buy the 160° that paramount offers

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I’m having caulk send me back my tstat. Been doing a good bit of research into these transmissions. BMW runs the same 8hp in their cars and are actually running them around 200-220° and use a fluid heater setup just like our rams. A few other manufacturers use similar setups and run them around 190-200°. I am planning on pulling out the threaded plugs and installing -6 AN fittings and tubing to replace the pathway that the heat exchanger was. Caulk is sending me one of his delete plugs as well in case I end up wanting to go back to full cooler flow. Supposedly some of the 8hp90s are having issues with torque management until they are over 160° I may try and see if I can buy the 160° that paramount offers

It's been in the back of my mind to add one of these thermostats,you can get them in a few differant settings. Either the 145 or 165 would probably be the ones to consider. I hadn't heard about the Hellcats having torque management issues under 160,where did you hear that from Khris.

High-Flow Engine & Transmission Oil Cooler Thermostat (improvedracing.com)

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's been in the back of my mind to add one of these thermostats,you can get them in a few differant settings. Either the 145 or 165 would probably be the ones to consider. I hadn't heard about the Hellcats having torque management issues under 160,where did you hear that from Khris.

High-Flow Engine & Transmission Oil Cooler Thermostat (improvedracing.com)
Tapp said he’s had a few having issues with some of the cars he’s tuned. I’m not fully believing that but doing research and all the zf trans are running over 190 so it’s definitely something that’s catching my interest now

72E100AA-1505-4EA2-92B6-14DA68EBF11B.png

OP
OP
caulk04

caulk04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Seems like it's only guys doing full on builds and shifting way over stock RPM who see forced short shifting until temps rise to 130.

It's clearly some unmapped PCM table that has a safety feature forcing the shift to happen early. Not like they're seeing shift problems, it's just doing it before they command it in the tune. Not at all hard to believe there's something buried in the tune files if you've ever looked at what IS mapped, there's so much more that isn't mapped.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Tapp said he’s had a few having issues with some of the cars he’s tuned. I’m not fully believing that but doing research and all the zf trans are running over 190 so it’s definitely something that’s catching my interest now

View attachment 242232

That's the first i've heard of anybody saying they're having issues with the tranny being to cold. I usually figure Ricks on the up and up though. I wonder what Satera is saying as he's generally considered one of the better 8 speed tuners out there. There's days i think Tapp and Barret (hellraisor) don't like each other much ,and i wonder if there might be an underlying issue between those 2,lol. Supposedly Charles/Hellraisor developed the tranny thermostat bypass's in conjunction with a couple of ZF's engineers that designed the 8 speed,but that's also what Charles says,so how much involvement ZF's engineers actually had is another one of those million dollar questions.Ever since we went down this path though,it's always been in the back of my mind to install one of Improved Racings thermostats,as they'd be easy to adapt into the cooler lines somewhere along the pass side frame rail,or even up closer towards the cooler.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know my trans feels like it grabs gears harder since removing the tstat. It’ll be super easy though to swap out to caulks tstat plug if I do feel like it.

18GSMRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Audi, Bentley, Jaguar, Aston Martin also run the *hp... be curious if they do the same.

Seems like it's only guys doing full on builds and shifting way over stock RPM who see forced short shifting until temps rise to 130.

It's clearly some unmapped PCM table that has a safety feature forcing the shift to happen early. Not like they're seeing shift problems, it's just doing it before they command it in the tune. Not at all hard to believe there's something buried in the tune files if you've ever looked at what IS mapped, there's so much more that isn't mapped.

hell it was only 75F here today and I was over 130 pretty quickly after starting to drive and stayed there all day. If you're warm weather climate (GA and below) Id wager only a month or two out of the year this would be an issue if that

OP
OP
caulk04

caulk04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I don't consider it an issue anyway. My stock 18 shifts at the same 5600 in every gear, even with the trans just under 100F.

I've seen one decent video of the 'short shifting' and its the 2-3 shift that occurs earlier than the others are commanded. It still happens above the stock 5600 shift point.

OP
OP
caulk04

caulk04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It's buried in a thread I started in the Facebook group 'High Performance Rams'. I just found it and watched it again, the guy is shifting at 7k in all the other gears but the 2-3 happens at like 6500. It's a fast truck and it bangs through the first few gears in an instant.

He wanted to argue with me that the trans in designed to run with thinner fluid at higher temps. Well, scooter, it's designed to have a max input of 516ft/lb and shift at 5600, too, but that's gone right out the window.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
It's buried in a thread I started in the Facebook group 'High Performance Rams'. I just found it and watched it again, the guy is shifting at 7k in all the other gears but the 2-3 happens at like 6500. It's a fast truck and it bangs through the first few gears in an instant.

He wanted to argue with me that the trans in designed to run with thinner fluid at higher temps. Well, scooter, it's designed to have a max input of 516ft/lb and shift at 5600, too, but that's gone right out the window.

Do you have his name Jesse,good chance i'll know who you're talking about,lol

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

No kidding. Well I’ll have the parts sitting around if I ever get a wild itch at least. Looks like I’ll be leaving it deleted for now. I love the way it shifts and feels

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
No kidding. Well I’ll have the parts sitting around if I ever get a wild itch at least. Looks like I’ll be leaving it deleted for now. I love the way it shifts and feels

After driving this new truck for a few weeks now. I can tell this trans shifts hard when its cold on the first drive of the day..
Once it gets over 100* it's better. At least mine does. lol

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine

Exactly, shift a couple 100 rpms higher or maybe even 500. Ok but making way more power than stock and raising the redline to 7K. You are asking for trouble.