8Hp70 transmission additive

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jdoc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
My 14 ram with 8hp70 tranny just turned 197,000. I've serviced the trans myself twice. Replacing the fluid & pan/ filter the 1st time , 2nd time just changed filter bc I purchased a pan with a changeable filter from first time.
I used Redline Atf D6 fluid both times. And I'm certain this is the only reason it's still living today. I do pull a 25 Gooseneck horse trailer quite often. Just let me say this truck and tranny are a beast .
My question is from time to time I get like a revving sound like it's gear searching from 7th to 8th. It does this at highway speeds. I'm thinking it's the torque converter.
I've heard excellent stories about sea foams trans tune.
Has anyone used this in 8 speed with redline fluid?
I'm considering using this product & running a couple hundred miles. Then change tranny fluid again. It's been maybe 20,000- 30 since last chng.
Please advise thanks.

LeeD

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I used sea foam trans tune in my daughter’s old 98 Neon. It wasn’t shifting up correctly. I drove it about 45mi and before I got to work it was shifting perfectly again. Then I had the trans fluid changed and it was fine for several years until we sold it.
I know that’s not a Ram trans but it did work for me.

Crusader556

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Longhorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@Jdoc

I've also used Seafoam on several vehicles with good result. I only drove around 100 miles with it and definitely made the transmission shift better.

BTW, hat's an impressive amount of mileage on your 2014!

The Redline ATF obviously worked well for you., but was there a reason you didn't use the ZF Lifeguard ATF?

On a side note, have you experienced any engine related issues in your 197K miles?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Was this happening before you used redline?

Sea Foam is basically a solvent cleaner (alcohol).

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Was this happening before you used redline?

Sea Foam is basically a solvent cleaner (alcohol).

Sounded like they've been using RedLine for a while, but clarification would be good.

Honestly, I almost kinda sorta worry that RedLine did it, but Im guessing its just a bad luck type scenario.

Personally I would never try a transmission additive in the 8HP. Too expensive if stuff goes wrong.

OP
OP
Jdoc

Jdoc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
No major issue to date. Just the typical manifold bolts on each side a time or two.
Yes I did alot research and redline is top of line fluid. It clings to the surfaces alot better. At time of fluid was also $40 a qt .
Ridiculous.

I've also used Seafoam on several vehicles with good result. I only drove around 100 miles with it and definitely made the transmission shift better.

BTW, hat's an impressive amount of mileage on your 2014!

The Redline ATF obviously worked well for you., but was there a reason you didn't use the ZF Lifeguard ATF?

On a side note, have you experienced any engine related issues in your 197K miles?[/QUOTE]

OP
OP
Jdoc

Jdoc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I had just over 100,000 when I first changed. And have changed again since then. If recall I had this happened before as well but can't remember.
Rt. Now I'm experiencing a longer shift at lower gears and slow speed shutter a couple time in past.
That's why I wanting to use a cleaner than change fluid.

Barney556180

Don't need no stinkin' mask...
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I believe both RAM and ZF (manufacturer) recommend against using any additives in the 8HP70.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So it looks like you are going 100K miles before changing the fluid?

ZF's spec is 100K *km* which equates to about 60K miles. Personally I would think of changing it around 40k-50k just to be sure.

Its possible the fluid has just broken down and is no longer performing as it should. Yes its RedLine, but 100K miles is a lot.

I think before additives I would just try some fresh fluid. As Burla mentioned, Seafoam is basically just solvents....and AFAIK the TransTune version of it is standard Seafoam with colorant, so no different than standard Seafoam you would use in your fuel and maybe oil.....NOT something I would really want in an expensive transmission.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I had just over 100,000 when I first changed. And have changed again since then. If recall I had this happened before as well but can't remember.
Rt. Now I'm experiencing a longer shift at lower gears and slow speed shutter a couple time in past.
That's why I wanting to use a cleaner than change fluid.

When you change the fluid maybe 40% is left in the TC? So seafoam is generally safe, but you will still have solvent rolling around the transmission even after you change it. It is up to you, but there are other options such as ester cleaner autorx. I had amazing long term results with autorx and a sticking transmission, long story I could type a page.

Travis8352

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
When you change the fluid maybe 40% is left in the TC? So seafoam is generally safe, but you will still have solvent rolling around the transmission even after you change it. It is up to you, but there are other options such as ester cleaner autorx. I had amazing long term results with autorx and a sticking transmission, long story I could type a page.
Get to typing! Lol kidding ofcourse

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
cliff notes, I had a bronco, getting out of first gear was a joke, it did not want to go to second gear and when it did it slammed into second, went to trans shop, they said needs a rebuild no joke and like duh, wanted to extend a little life if I could, bitog led me to try autorx, boom it was fixed, sold bronco, the dude went out of his way to find me like 10 years after I sold him the bronco to tell me it was the best vehicle he had ever owned and it never needed a thing, 100% true story. That was the second time using autotx, it also cleaned out a sludger, long story I added it to services I offered in detailing business, cost me because two customers had 02 sensors go bad, later I found this was normal and if I would have waited I wouldn't have to replace them. The stuff works, I have seen it many times in many cars, in the engine if there is any sludge it ends up as ash, and you can see it on dip stick, change oil and boom stuff is gone. The guy that developed autorx is persona non grada at bobs, some think he had shady tactics, whatever, his stuff helped my customers and me. I would use it in my transmission if it stuck, see I told you I could write pages.

Travis8352

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
cliff notes, I had a bronco, getting out of first gear was a joke, it did not want to go to second gear and when it did it slammed into second, went to trans shop, they said needs a rebuild no joke and like duh, wanted to extend a little life if I could, bitog led me to try autorx, boom it was fixed, sold bronco, the dude went out of his way to find me like 10 years after I sold him the bronco to tell me it was the best vehicle he had ever owned and it never needed a thing, 100% true story. That was the second time using autotx, it also cleaned out a sludger, long story I added it to services I offered in detailing business, cost me because two customers had 02 sensors go bad, later I found this was normal and if I would have waited I wouldn't have to replace them. The stuff works, I have seen it many times in many cars, in the engine if there is any sludge it ends up as ash, and you can see it on dip stick, change oil and boom stuff is gone. The guy that developed autorx is persona non grada at bobs, some think he had shady tactics, whatever, his stuff helped my customers and me. I would use it in my transmission if it stuck, see I told you I could write pages.
Great info as usual. Thanks!

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
A guy that has more miles, mostly towing, on his Ram then you do, said that he tried adding a Lucus Oil additive to his stock ZF transmission, he was not impressed & didn't use additives after that.
He also was one of the first owners to switch to a transmission pan with the changeable filter.
He also used a different fluid than the ZF brand
Valvoline Max Life

He made many videos about things that he did to his Ram, 2 or 3 just on the transmission

His name was Shawn,
He was known by the name mopar ecodiesel
& had 10K subscribers

https://www.youtube.com/c/moparecodiesel