95 Dodge Engine Engine Barely runs, no power

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Robeffy

Robeffy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 TD
If the crank sensor was bad it would not start at all since it would have no spark at all because the ECM needs a crank signal before anything else occurs.
Good to know that.. I have not checked every spark plug, only half of them. All were uniformly dark, not sure if they were like that before the misfire. 4 of 8 were black, were not clean. I am getting lots of fuel. No error codes, I fixed the O2 sensor error code. The only error code is the Torque Converter lock up , error code 37. I only had 1 O2 sensor, I guess they switched to 2 sensor in 96, from what I have read.

OP
OP
Robeffy

Robeffy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 TD
If it was bad - true. But if it is bent, it might act like he is describing as it might not get a clean signal past every hole.
Interesting.. its possible they bent it.. according to them, the transmission shop, it drove perfectly for around 1-2 miles before it acted up, ran bad, stalled, and would not drive any further. I thought it was a wiring harness melted, but, no sign of that. I guess it could have been badly installed and eventually got worn down by the flywheel hitting the sensor

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If they didn't remove it before pulling the transmission, it is very easy to damage during removal or installation of the trans.

OP
OP
Robeffy

Robeffy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 TD
If they didn't remove it before pulling the transmission, it is very easy to damage during removal or installation of the trans.
Most likely what happened... will know soon, I am having it taken to the garage, will let them sort it out. I will post the results.. Thanks for input..

OP
OP
Robeffy

Robeffy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 TD
Well, update number 1 from my mechanic.

Strangely, the gasoline is a weird color, mainly orange? He wants to drain the tank and put in fresh gas. Secondly, the fuel pressure is 35 psi, not 40. The engine is running rich, which puzzles him, as it has low fuel pressure.
He also thinks the lockup torque converter is damaged, as he is also getting the #37 error code. He has seen a bad torque converter cause the engine to stall as soon as it is put into gear. A simple test he wants to try is put the transfer case into neutral, and put the trans in gear. If the torque converter is bad, the trans should spin and not stall the engine! I will know more next week.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Who the heck worked on your transmission

I want to make sure that i don't use them for repairs

OP
OP
Robeffy

Robeffy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 TD
Mr Transmission, the largest chain in Canada, is the only tranny repair shop left in my area. The next closest shop is nearly 80 miles away. I should have taken it there..

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Strangely, the gasoline is a weird color, mainly orange? He wants to drain the tank and put in fresh gas. Secondly, the fuel pressure is 35 psi, not 40. The engine is running rich, which puzzles him, as it has low fuel pressure.

Hmm, here's my theory: the inside of the gas tank is rusty, and some of it diffused into the gasoline, giving it the orange color.

Rust particulates got picked up by the fuel pump, some of them got past the filter, then got stuck in the fuel injectors, causing them to partially stick open. Aside from this causing a drop in fuel pressure, the affected injectors are constantly dumping fuel into the cylinders rather than spraying a little bit when they're supposed to, which would cause a rich condition. This will eventually foul the spark plugs and cause misfiring.

The upstream O2 sensor will detect a complete lack of oxygen in the exhaust stream, causing it to signal the ECU that the engine is running rich. The ECU will attempt to shorten the injector pulses, but if the injectors are stuck open, this isn't going to help. Eventually, I would think that the ECU is going to throw a code for a rich condition.

OP
OP
Robeffy

Robeffy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 TD
Well, I finally found out what the problem is.

Cylinder 2 and 3 have no compression... my mechanic reported he does not know if it is valves or piston...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2023RamWarlock