A.R.E. quality

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

opie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had an ARE Z series cap installed last week. I didn't look it over prior to taking it because I was working. Took the time to give it a good once over while installing a bedrug this weekend and I am very disappointed.

The inside aluminum trim ring around the rear glass has about half of the screws not screwed in completely and half of those are barely holding onto what they are screwed into. It looks as if the trim was forced into position using the screws as they aren't even straight.

If I wanted to bolt it down, I would have to drill new holes because the existing holes fall right on the inside edge of the bed rails... No room to make a hole in the bed rail. And I do want to bolt it down.

Around all the inside trim on the windows the carpeting that is attached to the inside of the cap wasn't trimmed so it goes carpet, trim and then carpet. Its not really THAT bad... But when put on top of the other issues I can not overlook it. Especially at the pricepoint they sell them at.

Is this normal ARE quality?

Yes I have been in contact with ARE and I need to take it back to the dealer to have them look at it.

Brian_Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had an ARE Z series cap installed last week. I didn't look it over prior to taking it because I was working. Took the time to give it a good once over while installing a bedrug this weekend and I am very disappointed.

The inside aluminum trim ring around the rear glass has about half of the screws not screwed in completely and half of those are barely holding onto what they are screwed into. It looks as if the trim was forced into position using the screws as they aren't even straight.

If I wanted to bolt it down, I would have to drill new holes because the existing holes fall right on the inside edge of the bed rails... No room to make a hole in the bed rail. And I do want to bolt it down.

Around all the inside trim on the windows the carpeting that is attached to the inside of the cap wasn't trimmed so it goes carpet, trim and then carpet. Its not really THAT bad... But when put on top of the other issues I can not overlook it. Especially at the pricepoint they sell them at.

Is this normal ARE quality?

Yes I have been in contact with ARE and I need to take it back to the dealer to have them look at it.

I had a cx on a 2014 Silverado. The paint was pretty good. The aluminum trim on the outside had a few scuffs. I had the carpet inside and dont remember anything notable. I would say you got some legitimate beefs considering the Z is a good bit more $. I did some extensive searches and compared to Leer it seemed like A.R.E had more positive reviews and most complaints were taken care of. Good luck.

OP
OP
O

opie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ARE ended up buying the cap back and I had a Leer 100xl put on. Fit and finish is much better as is the design of the cap matching the lines of the truck.

Even the wiring of the brake light is better. Perhaps that's a function of the installer over the manufacturer.

Sent from a field

OP
OP
O

opie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Best I can do at the moment.

af40416a5a5b719481cbeb76e68758c5.jpg

Sent from a field

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I bought one ARE and it had a lot of problems. Dealer said they would have to send it back to the factory for repair and it would be 8-10 weeks. Told them to screw themselves and got my money back. Bought a Snug top.
Jay

ElTerrible

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i love my leer 100xq cap. The snugtop ss are nice as well.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
got a used, Craigslist Find, 2013 A.R.E. topper, on my 2014 Ram and love it. and finish it fine, no issues. No Carpet tough. Thought about it, for a second, then came to my senses.

GoFishn and a carpeted Truck Bed would be a bad idea.

Uh uh, Nope, no way. nothing that can hold smells, at all.