A trunk for my Ram

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Slevin

Reaction score
It looks very well-made. But I'm not digging the design. You've essentially got no easy access to the rest of the bed.

18ram18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I thought ramboxes were big enough for a set of clubs. Is it the width or height or the length that is the problem?

Yea, mine definitely has it's limitations if I need to load something big. That's why I made it fairly easy to remove. I never thought to make it front to back. But that's an idea.

The ram boxes are long enough for clubs but too narrow and too short (not deep enough). Now that i say that the idea of front to back design for yours would have same limitation because of wheel well.

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
When I ordered my truck I was going order the Rambox option until I went and looked at one in person. It's a great idea, but I was not impressed with the construction and fit and finish. The one I looked at didn't close and fit as nicely as I had expected. After thinking it over, I decided not to order the Ramboxes.

So I went a different route for lockable storage. I made this plywood box which fits into the bed divider slots in the side walls of the box. It is completely removable by lifting it out with the top handles. It locks down securely with toggle clamps attached to the tie down hooks in the bed.

When the tailgate is locked it is completely secure. You can't release the clamps and remove the box with the tailgate up. They are only accessible from the rear. It's made of 1/2" marine plywood, and I coated it with Herculiner bed liner paint. Most of the hardware is stainless.

I think it will be handy for things like golf clubs, or anything that I don't want exposed. I'll try it for a while and see how it goes. If it gets to be in the way too much I can just take it out and store it in the garage.

View attachment 179857 View attachment 179858 View attachment 179859 View attachment 179860 View attachment 179861
You you should go patent this and start selling them to truck shops and web sites. Wow great looking too. Can be put in and taken out fast.

OP
OP
19RCSB

19RCSB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Looks r like you did a real nice job on it ! Should hold up well and I really do not thing it will effect MPG! What are the clamps you used to hold the box down ? I have a Bed Bos that I have strapped in but like you clamps better ! Thanks

They are made by De Sta Co. But other brands are available cheaper. Search for toggle clamps, and you will see hundreds of types. I probably would of used some cheaper ones, but I had these that I bought at a garage sale years ago.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
They are made by De Sta Co. But other brands are available cheaper. Search for toggle clamps, and you will see hundreds of types. I probably would of used some cheaper ones, but I had these that I bought at a garage sale years ago.
Thanks I will check them out!

rwhjr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That’s a great idea. It wouldn’t work for a lot of people bc as mentioned it does make access to the rest of the bed very limited. It’s basically a rear mounted tool box instead of being up by the cab.

I think it would become more effective for more truck owners if it had a way to flip up the back panel so things could “pass-thru” all the way and so you’d have access to the rest of the bed when needed if that makes sense?

It’d still be limiting bc of the topside panel but at least if I had something longer that I need to slide into the bed it would then be possible.

[email protected]

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ecodiesel
Looks very nice!! great job! You are skilled.. :!
We got lucky I guess. Our 2016 Ram 1500 Longhorn Ecodiesel 4x4 has the Ramboxes. One of the reasons was the ramboxes plus the diesel were why we bought it, along with the saddle leather interior, when it was 1 year old. Our ramboxes close and fit perfectly, no leakage, high quality, large capacity and we love them. They also have the divider in the bed and the cargo hold tethers on the side. I have the roll up top on it, which does not leak, and when I put the divider in the middle of the bed, Carol can put groceries in the back and still reach them without everything shifting to the front. These Mopar pushbutton latches on the Rambox lids are very high quality also. When I unlock and lock the truck, all latches lock and unlock, including ramboxes and tailgate. We park it in our garage. Carol has taken it over for her own!! haha
All LED lights are still working inside the ramboxes. 53,000 miles on it so far and we love the truck.:)
Cheers, Zale San Antonio

OP
OP
19RCSB

19RCSB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Looks very nice!! great job! You are skilled.. :!
We got lucky I guess. Our 2016 Ram 1500 Longhorn Ecodiesel 4x4 has the Ramboxes. One of the reasons was the ramboxes plus the diesel were why we bought it, along with the saddle leather interior, when it was 1 year old. Our ramboxes close and fit perfectly, no leakage, high quality, large capacity and we love them. They also have the divider in the bed and the cargo hold tethers on the side. I have the roll up top on it, which does not leak, and when I put the divider in the middle of the bed, Carol can put groceries in the back and still reach them without everything shifting to the front. These Mopar pushbutton latches on the Rambox lids are very high quality also. When I unlock and lock the truck, all latches lock and unlock, including ramboxes and tailgate. We park it in our garage. Carol has taken it over for her own!! haha
All LED lights are still working inside the ramboxes. 53,000 miles on it so far and we love the truck.:)
Cheers, Zale San Antonio

Glad to hear that your ramboxes are perfect and you're finding them useful. Maybe the one I looked at was just a bad one. The rambox was the reason I shopped Ram in the first place. I was really wanting to like them and place the order, but I got turned off by that one example. I also wasn't crazy about the plastic top. Seems like it should of been stamped steel.

JohnnyMac

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner
Looks good OP. If you were to market these made of a injection molded plastic, they'd not only be easy/quick/inexpensive to manufacture, but be absolutely waterproof and would slide in and out when needed. I'm going through a business course at an online college and they reference Shark Tank all the time. I have a million ideas running through my mind on how to get rich right now with all this stuff they are throwing at me....

JMod45

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Diesel
Even though I already have ramboxes, and love them, I really like this idea. I may make one to hide my generator in the bed when I go on camping trips.

adam ant

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0-liter V6 EcoDiesel
Looks good 19RCSB... I just ordered undercover elite lx tonneau cover waiting for delivery.
Been looking for the ram bed divider.
Good Job

WY-Dave

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500
Engine
6.7 CTD
Looks like you could put some foam at the bottom. The wood don't look like it is sitting flush but on the ribs of the bed bottom. or run a board on the bottom to keep the contents "floating".

PVEH

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I built a custom gun rack for the bed of my paw and it sits just below the tonneau cover. Works great when we have more than two of us hunting and need the back seat. I couldn’t find anything that looked like it would work for a rack so I built my own. Yours looks pretty solid should be good but put a cover on it.

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
When I ordered my truck I was going order the Rambox option until I went and looked at one in person. It's a great idea, but I was not impressed with the construction and fit and finish. The one I looked at didn't close and fit as nicely as I had expected. After thinking it over, I decided not to order the Ramboxes.

So I went a different route for lockable storage. I made this plywood box which fits into the bed divider slots in the side walls of the box. It is completely removable by lifting it out with the top handles. It locks down securely with toggle clamps attached to the tie down hooks in the bed.

When the tailgate is locked it is completely secure. You can't release the clamps and remove the box with the tailgate up. They are only accessible from the rear. It's made of 1/2" marine plywood, and I coated it with Herculiner bed liner paint. Most of the hardware is stainless.

I think it will be handy for things like golf clubs, or anything that I don't want exposed. I'll try it for a while and see how it goes. If it gets to be in the way too much I can just take it out and store it in the garage.

View attachment 179857 View attachment 179858 View attachment 179859 View attachment 179860 View attachment 179861
Well done! You got skills.
I wanted the same thing but came across something that will haul my ATV on top when I have all my hunting gear in the bed.

1CD202CC-EC9B-44E4-86EA-AC2D9B514CB6.jpeg

Craig G

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Does look nice but wonder how long it would hold up in the weather, I agree the ram boxes are overated and limits your bed space when needed. A soft tonneau works great to keep things dry and stops small stuff from blowing out. As for mpg if you have to worry about it why did you buy a truck in rhe first place

Jimjammer21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7hemi
I’ve seen ram boxes that are years old they all hold up pretty good nothing comes off them and the plastics on top of them don’t seem to change color from the sun. I got the ram box because I don’t wanna cover my bed. I haven’t had any issues with them. If I could complain about one thing it would be that I loose a little bed space but hey I’m not planning on carrying anything bigger than a mattress in my bed ‍♂️

Daveski

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
We all have some good recommendations and idears, but we have have to think about what works best for us. In this case the box built was the best solution for what was needed. I think is a good concept and would work well for those who don’t want to take the time to roll The tonneau cover back or get up into the bed to grab something that may or may not roll around when traveling. Awesome job!