A trunk for my Ram

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DodgeDude99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Does look nice but wonder how long it would hold up in the weather, I agree the ram boxes are overated and limits your bed space when needed. A soft tonneau works great to keep things dry and stops small stuff from blowing out. As for mpg if you have to worry about it why did you buy a truck in rhe first place

It’s made out of marine plywood, he will get atleast 10 yrs. the deck of pontoon boats are made of marine plywood and the underside is always exposed to the water.

OP
OP
19RCSB

19RCSB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Six month update on my Ram "trunk":

It's holding up well, but we had a mild winter here in Ohio, and the truck is garaged.

I really like it for storing smaller items securely; golf bag, shopping bags, etc. I added some more hooks for hanging bags.

Hauling bigger things is obviously a problem. I have to either lift them over the trunk, or remove the trunk altogether. It's kind of a pain.

I don't think it has affected fuel mileage one way or the other. Averaging 22.7 since new six months ago. (V6, 3.21 rear end, reg. cab)

Would I build it again? Not sure. I'm thinking maybe I would make a tonneau type cover if I did it it again. Maybe plywood or aluminum, hinged in the middle.

But for now, I'm just leaving it in. It looks like groceries is about all we need to haul for the foreseeable future. :)162.jpg

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
I Like it a lot

gixxer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
OP
OP
19RCSB

19RCSB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

dexter

Banned
Reaction score
When I ordered my truck I was going order the Rambox option until I went and looked at one in person. It's a great idea, but I was not impressed with the construction and fit and finish. The one I looked at didn't close and fit as nicely as I had expected. After thinking it over, I decided not to order the Ramboxes.

So I went a different route for lockable storage. I made this plywood box which fits into the bed divider slots in the side walls of the box. It is completely removable by lifting it out with the top handles. It locks down securely with toggle clamps attached to the tie down hooks in the bed.

When the tailgate is locked it is completely secure. You can't release the clamps and remove the box with the tailgate up. They are only accessible from the rear. It's made of 1/2" marine plywood, and I coated it with Herculiner bed liner paint. Most of the hardware is stainless.

I think it will be handy for things like golf clubs, or anything that I don't want exposed. I'll try it for a while and see how it goes. If it gets to be in the way too much I can just take it out and store it in the garage.

Very smart and inovative.
I'd suggest you patent it and sell the idea to Weathertech.

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
I've been thinking about getting one of these....How do you like it? Any cons or issues?
This is the 2nd truck I had a diamond back on, and it has not let me down. I got the HD model both times. I put weather stripping on my tailgate last month to keep the dust out and now it is pretty sealed up. I haul on top of it all the time.

4F5E123E-1E8D-4944-AB5A-80D917C1F2BE.jpeg

2ADD5403-1593-4D34-8ABD-9935AE979433.jpeg

6491B653-4A37-450F-A659-451FC1B7048C.jpeg

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
What about these: I love them
And they are called swing cases.

Another option and they are removable.

https://www.actiontrucks.com/produc...ierra-w-o-carbonpro-1500-w-o-multipro-tg-pass

I put a 2x4 painted black between the wheel well and the case to keep things close to the back.

Also, really like how you put it together! Really clean and well done.
I have the fixed version by Dee Zee, nice but I needed more space so got a bed Box I am going to sell them soon, maybe Market place on FB or Craigs List

https://www.deezee.com/product/wheel-well-tool-box-poly-plastic/

Plankton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Nice work! I did something similar, but it's just a divider to keep things from sliding around. I have quite a few items up in there for disc golfing & tree maintenance. 2 portable disc golf baskets, a milk crate with assorted items like jumper cables and air comp., loppers, machete's, 50:1 gas can, reg gas can, disc golf cart, discs, misc. disc golf accessories, back pack, small toolbox/tools... and a few other assorted items. My chainsaw stays in the back seat.

It lifts right out, but I do have to screw a bracket in the mid section to keep it from separating (poor design by me lol). A good whack with a mallet fixes it for now.

Made from 2x4's and plywood with a few coats of 3M Spray-On Bed Liner.

kRwrz36.jpg

Before paint:
epC1NvX.jpg

EC29

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
Ever hauled an ATV on it?
Yes, I search for a photo to reply with and could not find one. But it is like hauling anything on top, it changes your center of gravity. I had the shorter ramps and it was pretty steep so the longest ones are preferred to load an ATV.