AC compressor problems?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Coletrain523

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
I have a 2001 dodge ram 1500 5.9 and the other day I turned my ac on and noticed it wasn't really blowing cold air, it wasn't hot but not cold, just cool. So I bought a little can of freon and hooked it up and it sucked it dry within seconds. I didn't notice a change so I thought it might have been lower than I thought. So I added on more little can and it sucked it dry as well but I didn't want to put anymore in. I put the cans in a t my house drove maybe 20 minutes or so with the ac blaster working fine,(still not really cold but still working) I park and get out to go in the store come back and start the truck turn the ac on and all of a sudden I heard a very loud grinding noise from under the hood. I cut the truck off and open the hood started it again and same thing but saw this steam coming from the ac compressor. And so I just turned the ac off and it hasn't done it anymore. But If I turn the ac on it does it again. So my question is did I overfill it and its spraying out excess? Or did the ac compressor just break? Any help is greatly appreciated

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Your compressor is hosed.

Time for a new one and a system flush, sorry.