ac problem blowing cold on driver side not passenger

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

abyard286

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L cummins
ac blowing cold on driver side but not passenger wanting to know which door i need to replace to fix if thats the problem just out of idea don't really want to take it all apart till i know what i need to replace its the only goor running vehicle i have

2005 dodge 2500 5.9 cummins

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
This video may help you to understand how your HVAC system works
The mechanic has already removed the HVAC box from the truck & he takes it apart & explains what each part does

One of the members on here just had to have his system taken out & fixed, even though his is several years newer, the design never changed much through the years

Oliver Closehauf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Laramie
Engine
Cummins 5.9
I have the exact same problem. Ice cold on the driver side, merely cool on passenger side.

Oliver Closehauf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Laramie
Engine
Cummins 5.9
I watched some of his videos, Could you tell if the passenger blend door actuator is on the engine side or the front seat side of the housing?

Ian_Olivas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L Magnum
Lol mine was opposite actually hot on drivers side and cold on passengers side. There's this foam that seals the blend doors and it deteriorates over time and can let hot air from the heater core through. Theres another door that let's outside air in and that can cause similar issues, sometimes it just breaks completely and falls onto the blower motor. It's on the passenger side and if its hot outside all that engine heat and hot air will hit the passenger side first making it less cool and cooler air on the drivers side, but not as cold as it should be.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
ac blowing cold on driver side but not passenger wanting to know which door i need to replace to fix if thats the problem just out of idea don't really want to take it all apart till i know what i need to replace its the only goor running vehicle i have

2005 dodge 2500 5.9 cummins
Is the truck equipped with MTC, for manual temperature control, or ATC for Automatic Temperature Control? If the truck has ATC does it also have dual zone ATC so you can control the driver and passenger temps individually?

If the truck is an MTC equipped unit the HVAC housing only has one blend door and one blend door actuator.

If the truck has dual zone ATC where you can control the driver and passenger temps individually then I would look at the passenger blend door and actuator to make sure it is moving properly.

Now, with that being said, if you have the standard Manual Temp control, back in the mid-2000's, Chrysler was having us techs add 2-3 more ounces of refrigerant to correct this concern. Both of my trucks, a 2005 and 2006, exhibited this exact same issue and by charging the system with 2-3 ounces more than the refrigerant label stated it would correct this concern and both the driver and passenger side temps would blow the same temperature. I had to do this to several hundred trucks over the years and so did plenty of other techs over the years.

What we were told at the time by Chrysler was that the label was incorrect about how much the refrigerant charge should be.

Oliver Closehauf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Laramie
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Where is the low side charge port? A week ago I tried hooking up a can of refrigerant I had used on one of my cars just to check the pressure but the fitting wouldn't fit the port. The port on the truck was way too big. The one I was trying was right up in front by the radiator. had a black cap.

shoffms0912

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Lol mine was opposite actually hot on drivers side and cold on passengers side. There's this foam that seals the blend doors and it deteriorates over time and can let hot air from the heater core through. Theres another door that let's outside air in and that can cause similar issues, sometimes it just breaks completely and falls onto the blower motor. It's on the passenger side and if its hot outside all that engine heat and hot air will hit the passenger side first making it less cool and cooler air on the drivers side, but not as cold as it should be.
did you end up replacing the blend doors and did the fix the issue? I'm having this exact same issue currently.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
May i suggest that if you plan on keeping you vehicle for a few more years
Buy some good replacement doors

The OEM doors are junk & Dormann is just a bit better

The OEM Door Actuators from Chrysler are the best that you can buy, the motors are strong & they are calibrated

The gears inside may break at times, but they don't rotate 360° , its more like 180 or 200. so the gears can be lifted off & rotated just a bit & put back on.

The actuators don't cost much, they were less than $40 apiece & they are all interchangeable

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radikio