Active air dam.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

whetrick1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
How does the active air dam work on these trucks..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Narg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
Per owners manual, at 35 mpg or more it move down about an inch to provide more flow around rather than under the truck.

P.S. video is wrong, GM is doing this also.

better video

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I removed mine as an experiment. I'm now seeing about 1 mpg improvement in my fuel economy. Might just be a coincidence, but time will tell. I also removed the lower air dam along with it. Improved fuel economy (possibly) and better looks IMHO...win-win :waytogo:

Narg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
I removed mine as an experiment. I'm now seeing about 1 mpg improvement in my fuel economy. Might just be a coincidence, but time will tell. I also removed the lower air dam along with it. Improved fuel economy (possibly) and better looks IMHO...win-win :waytogo:

I'd put my bet on "coincidence". Science facts are difficult to beat. It definitely looks better without it, on any truck IMHO, but there's also ride and handling to be considered on why it's there not just MPG benefits.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I'd put my bet on "coincidence". Science facts are difficult to beat. It definitely looks better without it, on any truck IMHO, but there's also ride and handling to be considered on why it's there not just MPG benefits.
I have my doubts that it's there for any reason other than MPG. Ride and handling have not been affected on my truck, at least nothing that I've been able to detect. I'm sure it benefits MPG in the wind tunnel, which is where it matters to car manufacturers. In a real world application, I doubt it makes enough of a difference to live with the ugliness of the thing. Kind of like MDS and the etorque. Under certain conditions, I'm sure those save fuel as well. For nearly all of my driving these items make no discernible difference. If something which I don't like isn't benefiting me I'm getting rid of it. If they seem to be benefiting you then by all means keep them. :cheers:

Sandevino

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
Anyone experiencing less than ice cold a/c with the active shudders? I’ve seen that they’re open at idle and in PARK but have to take your word for it at 35+ mph. I’m going to take it to the dealer to see about the cool air conditioning if I can’t figure it out on my own.

Sandevino

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
Never mind... I found it to not be an issue. I started it up in the driveway with the air on and it got down to 57 out of the vent. At 101* outside that’s not too shabby.

No comments about my thermometer...lol. My infrared thermometer was acting up.

86903BEB-01C2-44CA-8331-8A50EE4AB603.jpeg

8134AF5F-6B25-48F8-8C0B-EE36815F914C.jpeg

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
57 degrees is too warm if you ask me. I have a thermometer coming soon, so I have no numbers yet, but I'm guessing my Audi air duct temps are at least 10 degrees colder than my Laramie. I haven't experienced the seasonal hot temps for my area yet with this truck, but even with the temps in the low 80's it takes more than 15 minutes of highway driving before my truck cools down to a comfortable temperature. When I drive my Audi it takes less than 5 minutes. Both vehicles have the same 20% tint (same shop even). I've read a few threads in other forums where people identified a problem with the blend door inside the heater box not fully closing. So they tried pinching off one of the heater hoses, and their vent temps dropped into the low 40's. I'm not willing to potentially damage a heater hose I'll need for half the year, but I'm looking into a heater hose valve I can open and close with a cable.

bluebeast1562

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
57 degrees is too warm if you ask me. I have a thermometer coming soon, so I have no numbers yet, but I'm guessing my Audi air duct temps are at least 10 degrees colder than my Laramie. I haven't experienced the seasonal hot temps for my area yet with this truck, but even with the temps in the low 80's it takes more than 15 minutes of highway driving before my truck cools down to a comfortable temperature. When I drive my Audi it takes less than 5 minutes. Both vehicles have the same 20% tint (same shop even). I've read a few threads in other forums where people identified a problem with the blend door inside the heater box not fully closing. So they tried pinching off one of the heater hoses, and their vent temps dropped into the low 40's. I'm not willing to potentially damage a heater hose I'll need for half the year, but I'm looking into a heater hose valve I can open and close with a cable.

I am going to assume that your Audi is a car vs. this big a## truck? There is a lot of space in the truck to cool, takes time and again I say, a lot of space therefore trying to keep the inside as cold as an Audi it is like comparing apples to bananas.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I am going to assume that your Audi is a car vs. this big a## truck? There is a lot of space in the truck to cool, takes time and again I say, a lot of space therefore trying to keep the inside as cold as an Audi it is like comparing apples to bananas.
Not really. Maybe more like oranges to tangerines LOL. Seriously though, a more valid comparison would be the 2017 Rebel I traded in for the 2020 Laramie. The AC worked much better in the Rebel. Cooled off just as quickly as my Audi does. I am judging this by how far I get from work before I feel comfortable. Same window tint as my Laramie, and had black interior. My Laramie even has ventilated seats, which should give it an advantage. And the summer temps here haven't even hit the normal highs yet.